PDA

View Full Version : WoW information

Ronyx
03-15-2007, 02:55 AM
I've recently decided that I'm going to give WoW a whirl.
My holidays are coming up and I'd like to play something other then Oblivion for a change, and as you know MMORPG's are hard to find... good ones that is.
I saw WoW for sale cheap at Kmart so i decided why not. What i'm asking is... what do i need to buy?

I know there is the base game and the expansion. I also know that when you first buy it you get a certain number of months free. What i need to know are:
Do i HAVE to have the expansion to play online?
Does WoW have the registration key or can i borrow it off a friend, install, and buy only the expansion?
How do i claim my X number of free gaming months?

Pretty much what do I need to get started with WoW and how do I unlock any free bonus months I may be entitled to?

P.S. Apart from that, does anyone know any good links to some decent quest-trail guides? You know those lvl 60 in under 3 days guides?

-All help appreciated =]
Ronyx

demon_hunter2k4
03-15-2007, 05:43 AM
first off, u dont need the expansion to play WoW online, the expansion only allows you to start with either of the two new races, draenei or blood elf and allows you to enter the Outlands and level to 70. So, unless you want to create a Blood Elf or Draenei, dont but the expansion untill you hit level 50+ so you dont waste money if u decide to give up before that or something.

Secondly, you have to buy the game to play it, the game itself will come with a unique key that you will use on the world of warcraft website to register an account to, if u want to upgrade to expansion, u need to buy the game and use the key supplied in that to upgrade.

And the bonus months you are entitled to will be given to you for free right after registration if i remember correctly, i recently quit WoW after 2 years of playing...it is VERY addictive.

As for levelling guides, i cant really help you there except give you a couple of sites that will give you help on items/quests etc.
www.thottbot.com (www.thottbot.com)- one of the largest world of warcraft databases online atm.
wow.allakhazam.com - same as thottbot, but has less downtime i think
and finally, a database specially made for the Burning Crusade and expantion items/quests etc.
www.wowhead.com (http://www.wowhead.com)

Edit**
ohh btw, if you are going to choose a server, i suggest u join Blackrock from the US server list, as that is known as the 'Original Aussie Server' - more than 3/4 of the population on the server is australian, or choose from the servers on the oceanic server list.
I suggest Blackrock cause it isnt queued, unless u want to play sunday nights but queues are maximum 10minutes. server is also very stable, hardly ever crashes and has one of the highest uptimes as a server.

Ronyx
03-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Thank you very much for all the info hunter, I guess I'll have to buy the game AND the expansion if i want to make a character with the new Blood Elves race.

Quick question, will i still be able to see the NEW characters without the expansion? If my friend is playing on a blood elf and i meet up with him in WoW and i don't have the expansion pack. What will i see?

demon_hunter2k4
03-16-2007, 04:08 AM
yea, you will be able to see him, everything is pretty much implemented except u just cant access the stuff yourself without the expansion pack

simon275
03-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Pretty much you can't go to some special places that he can go to. Any way firstly you need to be on the same realm to be able to meet up.

BTW demon_hunter2k4 animated sig's are not allowed.