PDA

View Full Version : window etching

Hawkeye313
06-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I just finished etching the Battlefield 2 logo into my case window, but don't know if I have a problem or not. I was hoping that my case light would light up the logo, but it doesn't. It's only a UV light though, so I'm wondering if it's just not bright enough. I would think that it would light up a little though. Am I missing something? My case window is also cut to fit flush w/ the front panel, could that be causing a problem somehow? I've never done one of these before, and can't help but feel a little dense right now. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please :)

Frakk
06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
your uv light is not strong enough. try a cold cathode or bright leds.

Xato
06-18-2005, 06:22 AM
You just need to get the light going across the etch as much as possible... And Frakk's right, UV lights are quite dim, if you still want the purple effect, i suggest picking up a cold cathode, or a few Lazer LED's.

This should give you the idea.
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6977&postcount=34

Hawkeye313
06-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Okay, does the light have to simply shine on the etching or does it need to travel through the plexi from one end? If it's best to have it shining from one end does the end need to be polished, and how do I go about doing that? Forgive my ignorance, but it is the noob forum ;)

Xato
06-19-2005, 12:27 AM
As etching merely scratches the surface, it changes the suface from a

flat surface _____

to a rough /|/\_/|_ (on a very small scale ofcourse)

And the best way to get the even colour spread across the etching (which i'm sure u want) Is to have the light shining longways across the etch... This way, the most light is evenly reflected towards the viewer.
Having a light shining on the etch from behind will still work, but may not give as good of an effect...
I recommend experimenting after you have done the etch.

PS. My diagrams rule.

Hawkeye313
06-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks Xato

Xato
06-23-2005, 01:33 AM
No probs... I live to give.