PDA

View Full Version : VMware

SgtM
03-17-2007, 10:57 AM
www.vmware.com
Anyone else ever use it? I just got it set up on my server last night, and I'm installing ubuntu right now.

**edit: I just found out that I can use an iso to load the OS. Cool!

nil8
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I've played around with it. I'm not a guru of it, but if it's something simple I should be able to help.

Virtual PC 2k4 is free now from Microsoft, so you can install it on your Windows boxes as well. Basically the same thing.

SgtM
03-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Nah, I've got the hang of it so far. It's actually simple to use. Just thought I would put it out there for everyone else though.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
03-17-2007, 05:13 PM
lolz MS virtual PC 2k7 isnt bad...... i use it all the time..... rly useful when u wanna test something potentialy dangerous.... ie hax and crap..

.Maleficus.
03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
What all can VMware do? I've been thinking about downloading it for my Gentoo install, but I'm not sure it'd find much use. Can it let me like, use Windows, while I'm logged into Gentoo, and use Windows apps from inside that? Or what do you mostly use it for?

nil8
03-18-2007, 09:15 PM
That's pretty much the idea.
VMWare and Virtual PC allow you to create virtual computers inside your OS.
This way if you have to do software testing or use a specific version or distro, you can do so without having to redo your machine or find some other computer to work with.

It does require a decently fast machine and can take up very large chunks of your hard drive, but for all intensive purposes, it functions as a virtual PC.

It's a very nice program and it's free. There are complications, like hardware resources, that have to be handled. If you want network support for your virtual machine, it can be problematic.

I would suggest to everyone interested in PC technology to download it and give it a shot. It will make your software skills better and give you the ability to try different setups safely, like running your first linux box.

Also, if you run into trouble, all you have to do is go back to your normal OS and find the solution, or ask people online. Very simple, very useful learning tool.

SgtM
03-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Here's some screen shots. Note: Everything is in a window for screenshot puposes. You can go full screen (just like with remote desktop).

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/vmware/server.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/vmware/vmware.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/vmware/vmware2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/vmware/vmware3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/vmware/vmware4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/vmware/vmware5.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/vmware/vmware6.jpg

.Maleficus.
03-19-2007, 06:09 AM
Wow, that's really cool sgtm, thanks for the screens! +rep

SgtM
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow, that's really cool sgtm, thanks for the screens! +rep

Glad you like it Mal.

m4gnum
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm downloading now. My other computer couldn't handle Ubuntu and Beryl. I'll give it a shot on my main system.

SgtM
03-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Make sure the system you are loading the VMware server on is capable of having IIS loaded. I'm running it on my server2003 box, so it wasn't an issue.

Cool1Net6
03-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I tried to install Ubuntu Linux to Virtual PC 2004 and it did not work. In fact, it failed miserably. So I would suggest that if you want to run a virtual copy of Windows, Virtual PC 2004/2007 is the way to go, but if you want to run any other operating system, VMware is still the best at what it does.

-Cool-

AJ@PR
03-28-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm playing with VMware as I write this...

Although I think I should reboot my machine.
VMware is pulling 1GB of memory. :o

Gonna see if I can install Fedora or OpenBSD...

Any favorites?
I don't have much experience with either... just... playing around. :)

AJ@PR
03-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Do I have to bridge the VM network to my real network?

nil8
03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Yes. Treat it just like you would another workstation.

One of the issues that is caused from these pc emulators is resource problems on the real PC. I've had some very bad experiences with having a single nic trying to deal with more than 1 OS giving it commands.

The way I dealt with this on a test bench was hooking up an extra nic and allowing VMWare or Virtual PC to handle that one and my main OS to handle the onboard or default that I've use. It's fairly fool proof.

Virtual PC doesn't always play well with non-Windows operating systems. It seems to work great for testing terminal server or domain server setups though.

VMWare is the easiest way for a linux newbie to become comfortable with linux while still having Windows as their OS & still have the entire experience of dealing with linux from boot.

AJ@PR
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes. Treat it just like you would another workstation.

The way I dealt with this on a test bench was hooking up an extra nic and allowing VMWare or Virtual PC to handle that one and my main OS to handle the onboard or default that I've use. It's fairly fool proof.
I don't have my machine in front of me right now, but I think VMware installed two NIC adapters (virtual)... I'll get a screen shot up.

I'm sure SgtM will shine in with his advice soon. :)

VMWare is the easiest way for a linux newbie to become comfortable with linux while still having Windows as their OS & still have the entire experience of dealing with linux from boot.
Yeah... Definitely dabbling with it.

CompUSA has a $300 monitor-less computer this weekend... who knows... might be good for playing exclusively with OpenBSD/linux.

w00t ! Thanks nil8 :)

nil8
03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
No problem man. Knowledge is meant to be shared and you had some good questions.

As for that PC, that's too expensive.
Linux can run just fine on 1.5 ghz machine. You should be able to find old business leased systems on ebay for around 80-100 dollars of this range.

SgtM
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
At work right now. I'll check things out when I get home.

AJ@PR
03-29-2007, 03:40 PM
w00t w00t

Thanks guys.

nil8, you're right.
Too much money for a "dabbling" machine.

Maybe I can wrestle my brother's old Dell laptop out of him...
God... I like that machine.

But my brother is like... totally un-geek.
I wish I could upgrade him to Vista, so I can go "See! You need new hardware man... I'll take this machine from you."
lol lol

SgtM
03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Ok, I just checked my setup. I have Ubuntu running on VMware in NAT mode. Here's some screenies:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/UbuntuNAT.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/sgtm_usmc/UbuntuNAT_2.jpg

AJ@PR
03-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the help SgtM...

I didn't get to try out that stuff yesterday, but I am in the process of downloading the latest Ubuntu.
I'll see if I instal that today and play with it a little.

Oh, wait... today is Friday.
Ok, I'll play with it tomorrow.

This can get interesting!

Hey, side-question: I have 2GB in my box... when I 'created' the VM machine, I specified 1GB of RAM.

How much do you reckon I should be running?

Thanks SgtM! PeaceE!!!

-AJ@PR

Kahamri
03-30-2007, 09:34 AM
If your installing ubuntu you can make it 128 if you want. i specify 512 for my virtual machine. We use VM here at work and it's great. There is some special servers you can get that lets you run multiple OS's at the same time with no "main" os running, this way you can run say a mail server and back up mail server on the same server. if mailserver 1 fails mail server 2 takes over.
Vm can really tax your machine though, at home i run windows xp pro as my main and 2 vmware and it kills my system.

SgtM
03-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Glad I could help.

2GB of RAM is plenty IMO. I'm running my server 2k3 box on a 1.3 Ghz Celeron, and 768 MB RAM. It's really slow when I have VMware going, but I did it just so I could experiment a little. We have A TON of VM boxes at work, and I wanted get a better understanding of how VMware worked. Next will be a Fedora web server, just cuz I can.

AJ@PR
03-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Next will be a Fedora web server, just cuz I can.
Ahh... the true modder/geek spirit!!!

Haha!

Well, I'll see what I can break, and report back.

And, I'll have some screen shots up ASAP.
I sent one of them to a girl friend of mine, and she was like:::
She: Is that windows running inside, um, windows?
Me: Yeah! Cool ain't it!?!
She: But... where's the second computer?
Me: There ain't none. My computer runs both systems. One "inside" the other.
She: But... where's the second computer?
Me: It's a very, very tiny box inside my computer.
She: Oh... cool!

I know... I know.
I'm going to hell.

nil8
03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't try to explain logic to people who don't want or seek to understand it. Exercise in futility.

You can't go to a place you don't believe in, like Hell or Wyoming. ;)

The latest Fedora Core works just fine. It does take a little work mounting the 6 ISO files, but no big deal.

AJ@PR
03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Don't try to explain logic to people who don't want or seek to understand it. Exercise in futility.

You can't go to a place you don't believe in, like Hell or Wyoming. ;)

LMAO!

I once went out with a girl from Wyoming...
Could it ... be.... possible... ..

That... well... ummm....
I imagined everything??? :think:

:? :alien:

<.... ....>

Guys, I'm "creating" a new machine, to run Ubuntu..
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/45NN2121/ubuntuwoes.jpg
NAT is greyed out.

Can, somebody please shed some light into my n00bness?
:D

Thanks guys!

AJ@PR
03-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Hehehhe... just havin' sum fun wit uBumtoo
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/45NN2121/AnonymousCoward.jpg

SgtM
03-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Don't know why NAT would be greyed out. There is a big difference in our OS's though. I'm running Server 2003, and you're on XP, that might be it. Try setting up Internet Connection Sharing, and see if you can change the network properties on the Ubuntu machine after that. The other option would be bridged, but it would require a 2nd NIC.

nil8
03-31-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm running XP pro and not having an issue with NAT. It seems to work well and provide a solution to the resource sharing problem.
It could be your nic has something turned on or off that disables it.
Do you have DHCP enabled?

Are you connected to a small home network i.e. 192.168.x.x or directly to your cable modem/dsl/modem?
Maybe VMWare won't play nice with NAT and anything but reserved IP ranges?

I've used that hell or Wyoming joke for years now. Always seems to work.

AJ@PR
03-31-2007, 01:35 PM
I had a small problem installing Ubuntu...
Apparently, what I downloaded was corrupted or something, as the installation would hang in different places.

I downloaded 6.10, and off I went. :)

Don't know why NAT would be greyed out. There is a big difference in our OS's though. I'm running Server 2003, and you're on XP, that might be it. Try setting up Internet Connection Sharing, and see if you can change the network properties on the Ubuntu machine after that. The other option would be bridged, but it would require a 2nd NIC.
I'll try that and update soon. :)

I'm running XP pro and not having an issue with NAT. It seems to work well and provide a solution to the resource sharing problem.
It could be your nic has something turned on or off that disables it.
Do you have DHCP enabled?

Are you connected to a small home network i.e. 192.168.x.x or directly to your cable modem/dsl/modem?
Maybe VMWare won't play nice with NAT and anything but reserved IP ranges?

I've used that hell or Wyoming joke for years now. Always seems to work.
Thanks for the help SgtM and nil8 :)
I do have DHCP enabled... wierd.

Connected directly to the DSL modem.

Poor Wyomingians :p Ha!

Here's a screen shot of what I'm doing now...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/45NN2121/Ubuntuprompt.jpg

I know it seems very, very stupid, but I'm loving it! :D
I used to race through DOS when I was a turd.
Always loved the fact that the general population would stare at the black screen as you typed and did stuff, and... they'd be amazed.

I'm going to go see what I can break in Ubuntu. :D

SgtM
03-31-2007, 02:38 PM
HAL9000.. love it! +rep

AJ@PR
04-01-2007, 12:47 PM
HAL9000.. love it! +rep

w00t w00t :)
heheheh... glad you liked. :)

Just downloaded Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop... just installed it...

But can't play with it now... :(

But I'm going to the circus! :)
w00t!

Will post back soon :)

.Maleficus.
04-01-2007, 02:00 PM
..What do I download? VMWare Player, or VMWare Server? Or, VMWare Converter? What do you recommend?

Edit: I suppose you can disregard this, I just started downloading Server. Stgm, it looks like you have Server and Player? Do I need both?

SgtM
04-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Stgm, it looks like you have Server and Player? Do I need both?

Depends.. are you going to be running the server on a separate machine? If so, then you'll need the server and the player. If it's just going to be on the same machine, just get the server. I have my VMware set up on my win2k3 server, and I use it from my XP/Vista box.

.Maleficus.
04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Depends.. are you going to be running the server on a separate machine? If so, then you'll need the server and the player. If it's just going to be on the same machine, just get the server. I have my VMware set up on my win2k3 server, and I use it from my XP/Vista box.
Yeah, I'm just going to run it from one machine. Thanks for the help, +rep!

Ouuu yippy! It looks like my download is done! ... And apparently I need Microsoft IIS, so, time to download that I guess! Do you have any tips for getting an OS on a CD to install?

.Maleficus.
04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Actually, never mind. I skipped the IIS part of the install, and set up Solaris 10 (I have it on DVD (thank you free mail orders!) and wanted to try it before an install) and I'm about to start it for the first time.

SgtM
04-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Good deal mal. As far as installing the actual OS goes, I used Daemon tools to mount the ISO. Heading to work soon. I'll check back tomorrow. +rep

.Maleficus.
04-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the help stgm. Anyways, here's how it's going.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/andypwnsall/solarisinstall.jpg

nil8
04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
VM Server will mount the ISO as your optical drive. It has that ability. No reason to mount it externally.

.Maleficus.
04-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Thing is I didn't have it saved on my computer as an .iso. I received it in the mail from Sun. But I think I'll try out Arch Linux when Solaris is done (that I have as an .iso)