PDA

View Full Version : Google OS? Yes or No?

Canadian Eh?
03-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I wuz thinking a while back about how many programs that Google has, SketchUp, Talk, Desktop they also own Blogger. So i thought that Google should make an OS. It could include their programs, like they support FireFox, Norton Anti-Virus. They could do it if they really wanted to. I would definitely buy. It would have to look kinda like the Mac OS cuz i love that look. It would have all the Google apps. If you have an opinion or just want to fantasize, plz answer this post :)

Drew
03-17-2007, 05:56 PM
It'd have to be open source or whatever linux is.

Or at least cheep cheep...

And it'd probably scare Billy boy to death if the hardware support and compatibilty was there.....

Go Google.

Drum Thumper
03-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Give em enough time and they might buy Billy's company...no THERE'S a scary thought!

Drew
03-18-2007, 08:07 AM
GoogleWindows...bundled with GoogleToolbar and other impossible to uninstall ****e.

I suppose, Google could give MS a run for their money when it comes to forcing you to use their kit....

meticoeus
03-18-2007, 08:43 AM
It would be quite interesting to see the desktop OS market turn into a real oligopoly, lol.

gaz_the_chav
03-18-2007, 12:06 PM
As drew said it would be full of bloatware and **** which no one really wants.
You may as well just download a mac look-a-like windows skin, all the google things and fire-fox with nortons anti-virus. Apart from that just uninstall anything else you don't want.

Just my thoughts and yes I am the one person that voted for absoulutly NO! lol

-gaz

Canadian Eh?
03-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Maybe that poll should have asked: Who thinks gaz the chav is obnoxious?

nil8
03-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I'd give it a look. If it had good gaming support, I'd probably switch.

Canadian Eh?
03-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeaaaah, i don't really think Google has much to do w/ gaming. But they might try it. Who Knows?

gaz_the_chav
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Never say that again mother f****r

obnoxious

I have the right to my opinion just like you dont disrespect that or otherwise say goodbye to something.

Canadian Eh? What are you confused about. Deney me my rights again and your going down muther.

If you have a problem with that e-mail gaz_the_chav@hotmail.co.uk and we will have a chat.

-gaz

luciusad2004
03-19-2007, 02:17 AM
I think Im going to have to say no as well. You could say Im afriad of change or whatever you want but unless they make a pretty damn good OS they aren't going to topple MS. One thing that is very important to me is compatibility and unless they can offer that, i would never make it my main operating system.

Also, it would seem to me that building an OS would be a big jump from the applications they are currently making. Im not saying they couldn't do it. There is no doubt they are smart people, but it would be a big jump.

As i said it come down to compatability. In todays world you need to be on the same page as the other guy. Not reading a completely different book.

I run (in order of importance)
1. Windows, because i like it, everyone else runs it, and unlimited software options.
2. Mac OS X, because i like it and its pretty to look at.(sucker for eye candy)
3. I just installed Linux for something to screw around with (fun!).

If it was free i would try it. But unless it caught on, it would never make it as my main system.

Drew
03-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Never say that again mother f****r

I have the right to my opinion just like you dont disrespect that or otherwise say goodbye to something.

Canadian Eh? What are you confused about. Deney me my rights again and your going down muther.

If you have a problem with that e-mail gaz_the_chav@hotmail.co.uk and we will have a chat.

-gaz

What the hell is that all about?

Chill dude.

BTW, nice sig drumthumper.....

Zephik
03-19-2007, 08:50 AM
My opinion about having a Google OS is fairly simple. I look at what google has already and then try to think of it as an OS. Blech! lol

Nah, Windows is just fine for me. A Google OS would have A LONG way to go before it would even be worth mentioning in a puter store. But it might make a cool linux based OS for those die hard google fans. ^_^

I can see it being a really cool and classy desktop skin though! That might just be right up my alley as long as it wasn't cluttered with ads that correspond to what I do on my computer. ;)

What the hell is that all about?

Chill dude.

It wasn't about anything at all. They can PM each other of they have something to "discuss". Just pretend it didn't happen.

Canadian Eh?
03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I think if Google did make an OS, I think it might only be on a PC for a Double-boot. I don't think they would get enough popularity right away for it to be a main OS.

I think those ads get on everyone's nerves SnowFire.

And also, wicked set in the sig, drumthumper!

gaz_the_chav
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks minty I have had quite a bit of bad rep for this and trust me I have more right to be here than you canadian plus you had no right to say what you said completely unneccesary.

as I said do this over e-mail not over PM

-gaz

onelegout
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
If google were to build an operating system, I would imagine it as simplistic, perhaps for use in education like some of the linux distros built for use in classrooms.
I can't imagine google wasting money on attempting to enter a market with such overwhelmingly huge competition.

Thanks minty I have had quite a bit of bad rep for this and trust me I have more right to be here than you canadian plus you had no right to say what you said completely unneccesary.
-gaz

For the record I'd certainly have been on the long list of people who voted 'Yes, I think he is'.

.Maleficus.
03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
For the record I'd certainly have been on the long list of people who voted 'Yes, I think he is'.
For people who thinks gaz is obnoxious? Wow, people are strange.

I for one personally think gaz is right here. Canadian, you really had no right to post what you said. If you posted a poll and wanted people's opinion, why the hell did you get upset when someone didn't go with what you thought was "right"? Seriously dude, wtf. He didn't even say anything obnoxious. He just said that it would be full of preinstalled **** nobody needs, just like any OS (except Gentoo, heh) and that it wouldn't be a good idea. If you wanted a thread of people agreeing with you, you should have just said, "Don't post unless you want to talk about a Google OS, not if you think it's a bad idea".

Just pretend it didn't happen.
Sorry, no can do. That was quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read today, and I personally think it was uncalled for.

And no, I don't think a Google OS would be a good idea. Or I wouldn't bother with buying or downloading it even if there was one.

Edit: I hope this post doesn't start a flame war, but I'm sticking with it.
Oh, and Snowfire, +rep for at least trying to be a peacemaker.

Canadian Eh?
03-21-2007, 07:10 AM
And minty, this is my first account here.

Canadian Eh?
03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Don't worry, i PMed Gav, if he has a problem, he shouldn't f*** up a thread for it. But i don't really care. Case closed. (no pun intended)

DaveW
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Guys, come on.

Canadian, there's no need to insult other members. A post with a single insulting line is out of order.

Gaz, get a thicker skin. Yes, he's being a dick, but be a man about it, and ignore it. Minty, i appreciate you sticking up for Gaz, but again, it would have been better left alone.

Gaz works hard behind the scenes to help make this site a better place. That's why he gets the little black button under his name. For the record, it would be a good idea to try not to piss off anyone with a button under their name; they work hard to make TBCS a better place, and we're watching their backs.

Thread Locked.

-Dave