PDA

View Full Version : Guild wars anyone?

Guardian
03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Anyone play guild wars?

Spawn-Inc
03-19-2007, 04:13 PM
not but the cover art with that chick make me want to try it. does it costs monthly?

Luke122
03-19-2007, 05:08 PM
No monthly fee for Guild wars! I've played it for quite awhile, then dropped it for Warcraft (which DOES have a monthly fee).

There are 3 flavors of guild wars, each offering different classes and campaigns. I've only played the original which offers 5 classes, male or female, and some good customization of the characters.

I prefer the UI in Guild Wars to WoW, as it's easier to customize and reposition windows. Also, you can buy dyes in game to change the color of your items or clothing/armor. (unlike WoW)

I have a lvl 19 Necromancer, whos secondary talent is Mesmer(izer), named Romero Geogius.

Ronyx
03-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I was at EB Games looking at both boxes.
Guild Wars Nightfall - WoW BC
Guild Wars, WoW, Guild Wars, WoW, Guild Wars, WoW.
I dunno but I settled for WoW. Some kids at my school play GW and they say it's ok but most of the time it's mainly talk of WoW.

I guess the fact that WoW has so much more advertised and has a much bigger community makes it a little bit more appealing.

xRyokenx
03-19-2007, 10:35 PM
FYI, I'm on the Greymane realm in WoW, in case you're looking for one to join, or if you know anybody on there. My character is a troll hunter named Kruggh.

Ticien
03-20-2007, 08:17 AM
ahh everyone plays WoW...where oh where are the EQ fans?

but given a choice between wow and guild wars I would have made the same decision. GW is an OK game, but the fact that everything that isnt a town is instanced means little interaction with the community. Whereas WoW has open zones and instanced dungeons so you can actually talk to people and do things with them including group up when you are somewhere other than a city. That was always the one thing that turned me off to GW. If im gonna play an MMO, i need the MM...

Guardian
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
BIGGER COMMUNItTY!? Hardley. Guild Wars has over 4 million people, Wow has like 5 million? WoW is just more advertised becuase theres people who stay up for weeks straight playing it.

See, here we go again. GUILD WARS should NOT be compared to WoW. WoW IS a mmoRPG. Guild Wars is stratagy. Yeah it looks like RPG, but the Level CAP is 20. And you can get to 20 in a week. Arenanet Designed the game so it doesn't matter about hours played, but about stratagy and skill.

You get to carry 8 skills with you. Say you're going into a region full of trolls. Unless you have the right skills with you to take em, there gonna rape you. It has a FANTASTIC PvP, better then WoW bY FAR!

NO monthly fee. The Original guild wars is $30, buy it once and you can play whenver you want free. WoW is for those who have over 100 hours a week to spend on it, Guild wars, you don't have to play for an hour. Belive me, Guild wars will be the best $30 you spent in awhile.

The expansions arn't really expansions. Like you can buy nightfall and just play nightfall. There the same game, exept every expansion has like differn't proffessions you can play, and the world is differn't. If youi ahve all three, you can play through them all. Also with each game you get 4 character slots. So you can have like 4 characters in one game. Belive me, theres really alot to this game, its by far the best online game I ever played.

I say pick it up.

BTW: Graphics are friggin' amazing!

Ticien
03-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I was going to post a rebuttle and then i realized you werent directing that at me...anyway I had a buddy who played GW and i watched him for a while, it looked really cool, i just couldnt get over the fact that theres no interaction with people outside of town? semed weird. If there is as much strategery as you say I may pick it up just to screw around with it since it is free online, i just have so many freaking games to play already lol (you may have actually changed my mind about that game enough to try it. also i hate wow but shh..)

Monsterbox
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I was going to post a rebuttle and then i realized you werent directing that at me...anyway I had a buddy who played GW and i watched him for a while, it looked really cool, i just couldnt get over the fact that theres no interaction with people outside of town? semed weird.
You get used to it. It seems really strange at first, but once you realize what is happening and what it helps to avoid, you may find yourself shunning "traditional" mmorpgs in favor of Guild Wars. It means they can have an actual storyline. None of this, "Hey, I have a quest that leads up to the killing of MobX, let's do it!" and then "Oh sorry, that's an epic quest mob that requires a 40 man raid." or "Yeah, that was just killed and only respawns every 8 hours, sorry bud."

No camping, no competition for spawns, no loot whoring, no afk travel. Hop in, kick ass, run storylines, hang with friends, pvp, whatever you want with no waiting at all.

If there is as much strategery as you say I may pick it up just to screw around with it since it is free online, i just have so many freaking games to play already lol (you may have actually changed my mind about that game enough to try it. also i hate wow but shh..)
I got fed up with WoW after about 3 weeks when I realized it was the same old structure with a customized Blizzard skin. For all of the stuff that differentiates it from Everquest and the predecessors, it's the still the same game, only dumbed down in some ways and improved in some others. Not the sort of thing I feel like devoting my much coveted "free time" too. In Guild Wars you can pick up a group for a mission in a couple of minutes. And if you don't feel like waiting or don't want to group up, you grab some AI controlled henchmen and go for it "alone". They have recently added an update that allows you to give your henchmen rudimentary orders (give them a waypoint on the map) that helps immensely with objective-based missions.

I could go on and on and on about it, but the best way is probably to see for yourself. Each Guild Wars is stand-alone, but if you're just starting out the box labeled Guild Wars (with no subtitle) is definitely the way to go. Factions is very difficult to get into and mostly for the hardest of cores PVP-wise. Nightfall is a good storyline (I'm told, haven't gotten very far yet) but still not quite as good as the original.

Oh, and entire websites have been devoted to the subtle nuances and over-arching strategies of PvP in Guild Wars. It is an amazing experience and the only PvP in a massive online game that I've ever really enjoyed.

Anyway, if you're ever online look me up. Kira Seldon is the character's name. If you add her, it'll tell you when I'm on with any of my characters. Gotta love the unified log-in feature.

I have a lvl 19 Necromancer, whos secondary talent is Mesmer(izer), named Romero Geogius.
Off topic, but have you ever played City of Heroes? There is an area infested with zombies called "Romero Heights". Used to crack me up every time I passed through.

.Maleficus.
03-20-2007, 07:09 PM
BIGGER COMMUNItTY!? Hardley. Guild Wars has over 4 million people, Wow has like 5 million? WoW is just more advertised becuase theres people who stay up for weeks straight playing it.
.. Um, not quite. Try over 7 Million.

Yes, people stay up for weeks striaght playing it, but I'm sure the few die-hard GW fans have done it too.

Ticien
03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Maybe ill pick it up this weekend and give it a whirl if i have time. my interest has been piqued. (if im not too obsessed playing Armored Core 4...which I think i have to go pick up today)

Dr. Kamolly
03-25-2007, 12:41 PM
GW was the first MMORPG for me, I just couldn't spare a monthly fee for something I wouldn't be playing 24/7. People are friendly, GREAT GREAT GREAT graphics, has the tactics thing going on, only 8 skills so choose wisely.

You'll always find people willing to go with you on quests, primary or secondary, plus I've yet to meet immature people in it.

It's nice.