PDA

View Full Version : Is Vista worth It?

Guardian
03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Since stuff is occuring on the other topics, I'll keep the poll Yes or No. I'll respect everyones opinions.

I mean, at first when it came out, I was just thought it was XP with a new skin, and it probabley is, exept M$ is pushing it too far.

I am building a new rig for gaming, and I have a brand new Windows Media Center Edition, thing is I want to play halo 2, I loved it on the xbox, but now if its coming out for pc, (Keyboard + Mouse = pawnage) Its like Vista-only. So I guess I'm forced to purchase vista.

I just wanted to know, maybe some of you have it, I read one of you guys bought a Vista laptop. Is it worth it? Is it the same stuff? Whatsit like.

1 more rant: The damn price. I dont want to buy system builders becuase maybe if my system dies, I want to use it on another system. The System Builders is like $90, Normal is $150..jesus....

Ticien
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I say no. Not yet anyway. There are a lot of incompatibility issues still, especially with games. DX10 is a pull, but as of yet no games use it. Plus, all the fancy doodads and whatnot crap they added to it require a beefier system to run. To most here I think a vista ready PC isnt an issue but it tells me that if you need all of these things just to handle the OS, its pulling a lot more from you system resources, and slowing down everything you do. IMHO, it isnt worth the price tag. Personally, I am going to wait it out until they get a few band-aids slapped on it and its a little more efficient. That or I absolutely have to to run a DX10 game, whichever comes first. My 2c

AKA_RA
03-21-2007, 02:37 PM
i vote yes, but only because itll be worth it in the long run. i got it just because it was either XP SP2 or Vista Home premium, and i wanted to plan for the future. as soon as the 8800 series gets cheap, and decent DX10 games come out ill be ready to go.

there are studies, or something, that say that vista is actually less secure than XP, but thats cuz its new. so i expected it.

also, you may want to make sure your machine is beefed up for vista. im running a single gig stick of ram in single channel til i can afford better, and it hurts. plus SATA is highly recommended. im runing a POS ide drive and my load times are still decent.

if you plan on a new rig, go vista, you cant lose, IMO

and if you like eye candy, Aero is a sight for sore eyes. its not spectacular, but it beats the hell out of XP.

compatibility issues will be annoying, and older hardware may never be supported, like the media keys on my wireless keyboard, but at the same time, you cant avoid the inevitable switch over

SgtM
03-21-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm torn on it. I have Beta 2 and RC1 copies of Vista Ultimate. I really liked the integrated media center with it. I also have a full version of Vista Enterprise. Again, nice enough for what it is, but I can't get the wife used to it, so I'm dual booting with XP. Minty and I discovered something the other day while I was helping him with his home network/domain. He has a laptop with Vista on it, and when the domain was up, Vista saw it and asked him if he wanted to connect to the domain. I thought that was pretty cool.

My recommendation in the end, if you don't have it yet, wait until SP1, and then definitely pick it up.

Cagedconnerman
03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
oh god no, not sure if it's just me but i HATE vista, too much security that you cant disable, lot of issues right now (though that should get cleared up) HUGE memory hog, about 312MB used up in my case and theres nothing really new to it, it's like a 100 dollar xp service pack that they havent debugged in my opinion

public_eyesore
03-21-2007, 06:32 PM
no its ****ing horrible. My cousin just got a new gaming rig from dell and none of the games he bought (bf2142) work or work without glitches. I say wait until it has more support and dx10 games.

a.Bird
03-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Vista scares me. I feel like it's mostly a tactic to own our lives. I think I'm going to push XP Pro sp2 for as long as it can go. I'm satisfied with it for now because all I'm running is Photoshop, iTunes, Firefox and Solitaire.

DaveW
03-22-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm thinking Vista's going to be sweet on my new laptop, as i'm only planning to run things like MS Office and Eclipse on it.

-Dave

gaz_the_chav
03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Could'nt agree more Dave. I use my Toshiba laptop (with Vista Home Premium.) I have MS Office 2007 Enterprise Edition With a few other bits and it runs like a dream. Plus I don't know what everyones issue is with it - Mine works fine with pretty much everything!

-gaz

Canadian Eh?
03-22-2007, 07:34 PM
The only thing is is that people with less-than-up-to-date comps need to upgrade everything in order to run it. Or you buy a new one. costs about the same. hard choice!

Bucko
03-23-2007, 02:16 AM
I'me sure it will be great in a year or two, as soon as the Beta testing is finished.

xRyokenx
03-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Like others have said, when SP1 is released, we'll see then, at the moment, I'd have to say no, not if it works like a retarded monkey trying to drive down the wrong side of a highway on a jet ski. No, I don't have anything against retarded monkeys... :D

Guardian
03-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Alright thanks guys, I'll buy MCE for now, with the upgrade coupon, so when SP1 is released, just $10 for vista.

a.Bird
03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
I've never tried MCE. How does it compare to Windows XP? Or is it even comparable at all?

Guardian
03-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Its windows xP Media center edition. Its basicley same thing, exept it has alot more features for like viewing photos and watching videos and stuff. I'm buying it becuase it was the latest xp released (2005)

a.Bird
03-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Oh okay, thanks. :)

Redundant
03-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm using MCE currently. The media center extras are pretty cool, no matter how useless on a laptop. :p As far as how it looks, the MCE theme has a nicer looking start bar and start menu. A little cool thing on MC is the extender that connects to the 360. (not that I have one, yet)

EDIT: Here's a screenshot (http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/269/image002kq3.jpg) if you are curious. (Apologies for it's fuzziness...MS word's fault)

Guardian
03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah, Accually I obtained a free copy of it already. I know a guy, he owns a small business networknig company, He has a deal with microsoft, and from what I understand, he gest as much windows and microsoft programs as he wants for only 13 hundred a year. And owning a company he makes money off em. He gave me a free copy.

I didn't get around to installing it yet. Right now this pc, I'm going to give it an upgrade, put MCE on this pc, make it my media pc, so when my friends come over they can F this up, and my main gaming rig, I'll use the Legit Pro I have from my other gaminng machien when it died, I'll put it on my gaming rig. Perhaps 1 day vista will work properly.

Admins + Mods = This isn't piracy, he has a solid deal with MICROSOFT.

PiGMaN
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Vista is not worth the money they want for it but we will all eventually have to upgrade to it cuz microsoft will make all prevous versions of wiondows redundant,they will slowly make all new games an software & hardware not compatible...so were all stuffed and stop bitchn about itand get over it an move on with your lives....or go linux like i did....lololololol

Zephik
03-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Was XP worth it when it first came out? Nah, is it worth it now? Close enough!

The moral of the story? Screw them both and go with OSX.

LoL I'm sure all you mac fans just had a sudden urge to plus rep me. ;)

But your not going to, wanna know why? Because I still think Mac's suck major monkey turds. Microcrap's upgrade-ability and compatibility FTW.

I'll give macs this though, they are damn sexy machines! Plain and simple, but done in such a way thats its... well... sexy. Maybe dell or whoever else will catch onto that someday. Probably not though, they'll probably always be hyped up pieces of robotic power ranger turd molesters.

ah, nothing like insulting everyone all at once. Just makes me all giddy inside. :)

LiTHiUM0XiD3
03-26-2007, 10:28 PM
lolz what u mean useless on a laptop?? if ya smart enuff u can get it to work right.....i use it... ony my craptastic emachine M5312....

Redundant
03-27-2007, 05:34 PM
lolz what u mean useless on a laptop?? if ya smart enuff u can get it to work right.....i use it... ony my craptastic emachine M5312....
Oh, it works and all but....it's better suited for HTPCs

The extender is fine for any PC, but the media center program seems more useful if you have a TV tuner...I don't really use the movie viewing part (Quicktime, WMP instead) and the picture viewer can be annoying at times (Windows Explorer instead....). If it was running on a big flat panel, then I would use it much more often.

onelegout
03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Basicly, the bottom line is:
If you get an OEM copy, and you do not have any incompatiable hardware, then vista is worth it.
If however, you want to get a retail version or have hardware that doesn't support it, then don't get it.

I installed vista on my laptop, and now the audio hardware I want to buy for my DJing is all incompatiable!
I'm going dual-boot vista/xp, just so that I can use my Kaoss pad and padkontrol.
H

haha49
03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
I say no. Not yet anyway. There are a lot of incompatibility issues still, especially with games. DX10 is a pull, but as of yet no games use it. Plus, all the fancy doodads and whatnot crap they added to it require a beefier system to run. To most here I think a vista ready PC isnt an issue but it tells me that if you need all of these things just to handle the OS, its pulling a lot more from you system resources, and slowing down everything you do. IMHO, it isnt worth the price tag. Personally, I am going to wait it out until they get a few band-aids slapped on it and its a little more efficient. That or I absolutely have to to run a DX10 game, whichever comes first. My 2c

thats not true there are a few dx10 games already out.. the thing is you wouldnt be able to tell with out looking them up :think: and no vista is not worth it more resorses wasted for a mac look and its idiot proof to the point of you want to throw your computer out the window..

onelegout
03-29-2007, 03:47 AM
its idiot proof to the point of you want to throw your computer out the window..

You realise you can turn that off, right?

AJ@PR
03-29-2007, 10:56 AM
its idiot proof to the point of you want to throw your computer out the window..

You realise you can turn that off, right?

He probably threw it out the window already :p

Eclecticos
04-05-2007, 11:58 PM
The real question is. .ahead in the game, or behind in time?
Im going to fight my way through it like a mishetti in the jungle. . hehe.

The first thing your going to want to turn off is UAC so you screen stops blacking out when it ask what you would like to do.

azminisk8r
04-06-2007, 03:30 AM
HOW DO YOU DO THAT PLZ TELL ITS ANNOYING THE HECK OUT OF ME

lol its worth it if you can turn off that stupid warning system, its literally like in the commercial, unless its digitally signed, which nothing but microsoft stuff is

CanaBalistic
04-06-2007, 06:35 AM
I had a beta copy of vista. At that time there wasnt much to hype over. The damn computer crashed so many times while doing remedial tasks. I found a few good programs that wouldnt even install. It was extremly anoying. I've since uninstalled vista, i keep getting a dual boot screen even though its gone. Its a bit of a chor to fix but is possible.

Ticien
04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I am not getting vista until I have no other choice but to get it to play my games.

azminisk8r
04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
lol yeah for gaming wait on it but for like imaging and business ad schoolwork its amazing and looks great, even on a crap 1280 x 1024 monitor, want wait till its on a 1680 x 1050:D:D

Eclecticos
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Tells ya here. . will save me some typing.
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Eclecticos
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Here is a better guide.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/make-user-account-control-uac-stop-blacking-out-the-screen-in-windows-vista/

CanaBalistic
04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Im still wondering when O/S's will come on a non writable HD. I think it would make the OS more stable and secure. Just my opinion.

Bucko
04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
The problem with that is what happens if they don't get everything perfect first go? how are you supposed to upgrade when updates become available?
Hackers and virus makers will no doubt find vulnerabilities in it and exploit them, especially knowing the HD can't be written to for updates to stop them.

Then there's cost. Look at how much Windows costs now and watch them add another $150-$200 to the price at least to cover mnaking the drive and the extra weight in shipping.

Plus and computer will then need at least two HDD's in it. One for the OS and one for everything else, so smaller form factor builds will suddenly be harder to do with even less space available.

Those are just my thoughts on it.

onelegout
04-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Apparently it's trendy to dislike vista, just like it's trendy to dislike apple.

no its ****ing horrible. My cousin just got a new gaming rig from dell and none of the games he bought (bf2142) work or work without glitches. I say wait until it has more support and dx10 games.

Bf2142 works fine on vista.

Xpirate
04-16-2007, 08:29 PM
I would wait until at least SP1. I'm not going to upgrade to Vista until I absolutely have to.

DaveW
04-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm not going to upgrade to Vista until I absolutely have to.

You're never going to 'absolutely have to'. It pretty much comes down to when you decide it's good enough for you.

I approached Vista with an open mind, and I'm fairly impressed with it.

-Dave

Xpirate
04-18-2007, 10:02 AM
True, 'absolutely have to' actually meant, 'when the majority of the world has it.' Eventually all of the new Windows application software will only run on Vista.

I put off the upgrade to XP for quite a while. I'm glad that I have it now.

Indybird
04-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Id definitely say Vista is worth it. BUT (theres a big but) only if you are a computer person and willing to work with or around problems that may arise with early vista.

If you like everything to work somewhat seamlessly and you don't like to search for "vista updates" to all your programs, then I'd say stick w/ XP for now...

By the way all of my games (Except for one) run perfectly fine on Vista: DoD:S, NFSMW, NFSC, All Battlefields, C&C3, Oblivion, Morrowind... That one game that doesnt work is Dark Forces II (from 1997). Also, I didnt notice a particular frame loss between Vista and XP. The big plus for Vista is "Games for Windows" which not only guarantees the game will run perfect on Vista but it also integrates w/ Xbox live!

Lastly, Home Premium is $119.99 for the OEM version, thats only 10 more bucks than XP media center, so Vista isnt really that expensive.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
05-26-2007, 11:23 PM
i aproached vista with a feel of loathing....
but i must even tho it is a complete resource whore.... i kinda sorta dig it...
but still... im removing it tomorow.... its makin my games lag out..

Wasabisam
05-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Yeh drivers are on beta version i believe, i have vista and my games lag ( cant play busy servers on CSS ). I still like it because well it looks cool. Look at the side bar LOL if that wasnt there i would format.

XcOM
05-28-2007, 06:54 PM
You're never going to 'absolutely have to'. It pretty much comes down to when you decide it's good enough for you.

I approached Vista with an open mind, and I'm fairly impressed with it.

-Dave

well said, im still running win98,

Nagoshi
05-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I ordered a nmew laptop today, ASUS G1, which comes with Vista Home Premium. I would have wished having the MCE version, but meh, Im stuck with Vista. If I think it's too much slowing the almost-top-of-the-line laptop, then it's either gonna get formated for XP Pro, or going dual-boot with XP Pro and Vista.

ASUS G1 = T7200 2GHz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb 5400RPM HD, GeForce Go 7700 512Mb (heard it aint that much powerful, but still better than the GF5500 I have in my Athlon... lol), WSXGA+ (1680x1050) 15.4"... included with a Logitech MX-518 and a backpack :) Can't wait to have that baby in my hands!

Luke122
05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Im still wondering when O/S's will come on a non writable HD. I think it would make the OS more stable and secure. Just my opinion.

My brother works as a web developer, and in their test server farm, they use whats called "firewall on a floppy". It's a bootable BSD build that runs from a floppy drive to turn a PC into a firewall. Write protect the floppy drive, and you've got a firewall that cant be modifed by external sources. :D

On a RELATED note, I'm now running Vista/XP/Ubuntu triple boot on my laptop, and I'm finding that I run Vista more than the other two. I'm really starting to like it more now, though some odd issues do still arise.. Office 2003 for example.. I've done every fix I can find on this, but still get the EULA pop up everytime I open Outlook.

The nice thing (license wise) with vista (business, and maybe ultimate too.. I'll have to confirm this) is that if you dont like it, you can downgrade to XP pro. :D