PDA

View Full Version : win 98 problems

Nick_Black
03-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm trying to install win 98 but evrytime, after the initial install, it'll boot up to the windows logo "you are starting your computer for the first time" thingy, and than It'll crash, just reboot. I've tried a couple of times and alway's the same thing. I also tried a friends CD with no diffrence. help?

thanks

simon275
03-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Have you had other OS's running on this computer before 98 like XP? Or are you rebuilding a 98 system.

Sounds like some funky hardware problem to me. Try installing XP or Ubuntu and if even of them install then you know its not your hardware but 98 playing silly buggers.

xmastree
03-24-2007, 05:37 AM
I would check your memory first. If there are two or more modules in there, remove all but one. If it still barfs, swap that one with another.
Or, get a copy of the ultimate boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html) and run the memory test from there.

Nick_Black
03-24-2007, 07:31 AM
Have you had other OS's running on this computer before 98 like XP? Or are you rebuilding a 98 system.

Sounds like some funky hardware problem to me. Try installing XP or Ubuntu and if even of them install then you know its not your hardware but 98 playing silly buggers.

yes I've had other operating systems running on this PC, I was just doing a re-boot. I'm thinking of installing XP again. but I also want 98 (dual OS's)

I would check your memory first. If there are two or more modules in there, remove all but one. If it still barfs, swap that one with another.
Or, get a copy of the ultimate boot CD and run the memory test from there.

I shure hope it isn't the RAM again (I just fixed one about 2 motnhes ago..)
but well see.. 1.25 Gigs is not to mutch for 98 is it?

Thanks for the replys!

xmastree
03-24-2007, 08:19 AM
1.25 Gigs is not to much for 98 is it?1.25GB of RAM? That's way too much. :rolleyes: 98 runs happily with 256MB.

Also, just because it fails a memory test, that doesn't make it bad. There could be incompatibility problems between different modules, or simply a bad connection in the slot.

PiGMaN
03-27-2007, 07:31 PM
This problem sounds so much like a ram prob cuz when u install an operating system everything goes threw the ram 1st if thrrs a problem with the ram (either ram sticks faulty or uncompatible or just maybe thrr not installed in the slots properly) the computer will shut down just like how u described.

DaveW
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
You might also have too large a hard disk-you need to get 98 second edition if you want it to run on a modern PC.

-Dave