PDA

View Full Version : Apple vs. The Competition?

Omega
03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Pretty much anybody with a pulse should know -- Apple's been dominating the MP3 player market since the release of the 3rd Generation iPod (We're on the 5th right now, 2nd gen Nano).

Well, my trusty iPod Nano (My third iPod to date, I had a 10gb 3rd Gen, a 40gb 4th Gen, and the 8gb 2nd Gen Nano) was stolen while I was in San Jose. Pish.

I've been debating wether or not to stick with Apple. All of the iPods I've had have lasted for pretty long before hardware failure, I'm used to the menus, and there's lots of aftermarket support.

However, I might not get another iPod. I've been thinking of getting a different brand of MP3 player, and before anybody says "Zune!", I hate that thing. And yes, I've used one.

Anywho, here's what I can think of.

Pro-iPod:
I'm used to the controls
Good audio quality
Phenominal battery life (on the Nano)
High quality prodouct
One-year warranty (There's no way I'd buy a new electronic device from eBay or something, always newegg or the manufacturer)

Anti-iPod:
Other players can be cheaper
I wouldn't be going with the "trends" (not like I care anyways)

Anywho, make your arguments. I'm planning on probably getting a new one (maybe, I might not even bother, just save the moolah) within the next two months.

Zephik
03-24-2007, 01:43 AM
I liked my iPod Video despite that I sold it. But I'm going to say I like creative over other brands. They are durable, cheaper, and still integrate some nice features. Last I checked at least.

Omega
03-25-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm thinking, since I am buying new, I might get a 30gb Video as opposed to an 8gb Nano. One year warranty should be fine, because if it breaks after that it's not a huge deal. Plus the warranty limitations on the Nanos are much tighter than normal iPods.

isunktheship
03-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Wait til the video ipods come out. (not the ipod's with video capabilities, that are out now, it's gonna be godly)
Or just get a new ipod and put Linux on it :P

Omega
03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Wait til the video ipods come out. (not the ipod's with video capabilities, that are out now, it's gonna be godly)
Or just get a new ipod and put Linux on it :P

Putting Linux on the iPods voids the warranty, and can possibly damage the iPod.

I'm not about to go doing that on a new iPod with a legitimate warranty still in place =/

Now, were I to get an older one....

Moofaa
03-25-2007, 01:31 PM
From my retail experience, Ipods are still the best overall choice. Yeah, they rip you off in pricing. Yes they rip you off in accessory pricing as well. And yes, if you look around theres some neat-o other brands out that that either do the same thing cheaper, or do more for the same price.

But if you want to walk into your local target, meijers, walmart, etcs and get a case for your non-ipod MP3 player? Forget it. Need to buy a new USB cable? Forget it. Need a car adapter? Forget it. You wont find much of a selection for non-ipod brands in the way of accessories. At the big-box store im at now, they have 20ft dedicated to ipod and its accessories, a single shelf for the Zune, and 5-6 other MP3 players tucked at the end on some peghooks (with 0 accessories for them).

isunktheship
03-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Putting Linux on the iPods voids the warranty, and can possibly damage the iPod.

Hehe yeah, I wasn't really being serious, but it's a fun thought :) , my friend messes his ipod up a few times and didn't get linux on it properly. Thankfully the reset buttons still worked, so he just reset it.

progbuddy
03-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Pretty much anybody with a pulse should know -- Apple's been dominating the MP3 player market since the release of the 3rd Generation iPod (We're on the 5th right now, 2nd gen Nano).

Well, my trusty iPod Nano (My third iPod to date, I had a 10gb 3rd Gen, a 40gb 4th Gen, and the 8gb 2nd Gen Nano) was stolen while I was in San Jose. Pish.

I've been debating wether or not to stick with Apple. All of the iPods I've had have lasted for pretty long before hardware failure, I'm used to the menus, and there's lots of aftermarket support.

However, I might not get another iPod. I've been thinking of getting a different brand of MP3 player, and before anybody says "Zune!", I hate that thing. And yes, I've used one.

Anywho, here's what I can think of.

Pro-iPod:
I'm used to the controls
Good audio quality
Phenominal battery life (on the Nano)
High quality prodouct
One-year warranty (There's no way I'd buy a new electronic device from eBay or something, always newegg or the manufacturer)

Anti-iPod:
Other players can be cheaper
I wouldn't be going with the "trends" (not like I care anyways)

Anywho, make your arguments. I'm planning on probably getting a new one (maybe, I might not even bother, just save the moolah) within the next two months.

In my opinion, the iPod's audio codecs aren't all that great.

You should try the Zen Vision: M. It's a great product, sturdily built, and has everything you need, including pics, videos, music, FM tuner, Recorder, onboard smart sound, etc. The thing I like about the Vision is that it has a nicely styled GUI and easy controls.

Link (http://creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14331)

jdbnsn
03-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I use a Zen Vision M also and love it!!! Easy as heck to load your movies on, sounds awesome. However if accessories is a concern, there is way more for ipods.

Omega
03-25-2007, 10:06 PM
...I've seen a Zen Vision M in an Altoid tin. Accessories also aren't that big of a deal to me.

I think I might be sold. I mean, Altoid-tin-ability? Videos, pictures, music, a nice GUI and plenty of HD space?

Hmm...

Omega
03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
After browsing Newegg shortly & creative's site... I think I'm sold. I can snag one for 180$ (Mail-in Rebate through Newegg), and Creative sells any and all accessories I might need (like a car adapter, that should be it really).

So yeah. After I deposit my moolah I'ma take a leap of faith and hope that it serves me well.

Omega
03-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Alright, so I spotted my mom $100 and she's going to buy me the Vision M in a week or two after she sends out some invoices for moolah. I pay 100$, I get a 220$ MP3 player. Brilliant.

Thanks for showing me that, guys.

:banana: