PDA

View Full Version : the movie 300-awesome or not?

intergalacticman
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
i saw the movie 300 and i thought it was the freakin best epic movie ever:D

ReverendBob
03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
I liked it, overall, they did a pretty good job.

I would rather, instead of all the wife scenes, they had incorporated the dramatic naval battle that was happening at the same time.

Not that I'm against He'in and She'in, but found it sort of caused an otherwise dramatically actiony movie to drag a bit.

intergalacticman
03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
OH MAN!! your right! dude... that would be sweet

wait... didn't the battle of salamis occur after thermopylae?

Guardian
03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I didn't watch it, But it does look hella-good from the commercials. I would love to see it anyday, but i'm probabley gonig to have to wait for the dvd.

XcOM
03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
saw it the otehr night,

THE BEST FILM I'VE EVER SEEN IN A LONG TIME.

I high;y recommend it

Zephik
03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
It wasn't too bad, I would see it again.

Ichbin
03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Action scenes....absolutely amazing.

Kinda lacked in the presentation of story. If you wanna see action though...300 is your man.

jdbnsn
03-26-2007, 05:47 PM
wait... didn't the battle of salamis occur after thermopylae?

As I understand it, battle of Thermopylae did preceed the naval battle. But they are of the same war/assult from the Persians and roughly at the same time. That would have added much to the film!

Crimson Sky
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
If you're into watching sweaty, muscular, frighteningly hairless men grunting and holding their swords this movie is for you. I for one, am not.

xRyokenx
03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
If you're into watching sweaty, muscular, frighteningly hairless men grunting and holding their swords this movie is for you. I for one, am not.

I've read a review (more like a rant) about it, and have heard what it's about... and have seen some of some of the movies out that are similar to this, and I'd have to say "not interested." I really don't care for movies like this, so, I'ma go with Crimson on this one.

Zephik
03-26-2007, 06:51 PM

That is something that really disturbed me. WHERE IS ALL OF THEIR HAIR?? Is it that their muscles are so big that hair can't grow? Or maybe Spartan men were metrosexuals??

I told my best friend that I didn't like the move A WHOLE lot. He almost pulled over to push me out. lol

Anyone heard of the crazy 300 work out? I saw a video clip of it, kind of reminds me of something you would see at a strong man competition.

ReverendBob
03-26-2007, 09:56 PM
*shrugs* I always considered the naval battle at Salamis to be part of the last stand at Thermopylae. In those days, word travelling as slow as it did, I tend to lump any connected battles together, even if a month passes between them

With the liberties they took with the death of Leonidis, and the contributions of the other greek soldiers, AND the deformed Gollum-like betrayer, I would rather have seen the naval battle over the love scenes.

In those times, what's a month?

Again, just my opinion, in a vain attempt to make peace between history and Hollywood.

As far as the hairlessness? How in HELL was the studio going to get our wives/girlfriends to go willingly with us to see a movie of this sort?

FILL THE BATTLE SCENES WITH MUSCULER, HAIRLESS, HUNKS OF BEEFCAKE!

Slug Toy
03-26-2007, 10:47 PM
artistic liberties aside, i would say the movie was really good. i havent confirmed this yet, but my friend looked up thermopylae and found that people, places, events, and even statements were all accurate. the part where leonidas says he cant bow before xerxes because of a cramp in his leg... that apparently happened in real life.

my favorite part was the beginning phalanx. if they had more of that instead of breaking formation eventually and turning it into a brawl... well that would have been super cool.

Crimson Sky
03-27-2007, 12:14 AM
300 is about as historicaly accurate as Ice Age 2: The Meltdown was to prehistory.

Omega
03-27-2007, 12:15 AM
300 is about as historicaly accurate as Ice Age 2: The Meltdown was to prehistory.

That's an exaggeration. The Graphic Novel "300" was actually based off of the events that took place at the battle of Thermopolae, with a very slight twist put on them.

Anywho, don't go to the movies for a history lesson. That should be obvious =/

Crimson Sky
03-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah. Ok. slight twist. Time for you to shut off the PC and back slowly away...

Omega
03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah. Ok. slight twist. Time for you to shut off the PC and back slowly away...

We all know that everything is a slight twist, Crimson. That's how we can make things sound modest. ;)

Reyer
03-27-2007, 01:33 AM
i thaught it was sweet. i would see it again definitly. that and children of men were the best movies i have seen in like 5 years

mercerman318
03-27-2007, 10:11 AM
It was a great movie. period.

intergalacticman
03-27-2007, 01:22 PM
when you say they were hairless men, were you expecting hairy guys?
i certainly wouldnt want to see that

meticoeus
03-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I liked it enough to see it twice, which has never happened before (in theatres), lol.

DaveW
03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
i certainly wouldnt want to see that

Unless they were like Yetis or something. That would be cool, 300 Spartans vs. 300 Yetis. Who'd win?

-Dave

xRyokenx
03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Or even better, 300 Spartans off Halo with swords and miniguns vs. 300 Yetis with rocket launchers and snipers.

99e46
03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
i LOVE this flick....it was AWESOME I saw it 3 times!!!

Omega
03-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I've only seen it once, but if I had the cash, I'd go see it again. Like, 3 times in a row.

CanaBalistic
03-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Well, i seen the movie on the opening weekend. I was impressed with the visuals. I dont think you could find a single faw in the chroma key if you devoted your life to it. Definitly, the best looking film to come out of HollyWood. Period.

I've noticed a lot of people will not stop complaining about how accurate the movie is compared to what really hapened. By putting hidiously disfigured creatures in the film, it shows that its not a movie to be taken as factual. The movie is based on a comic book thats loosely based on that peticular real life battle. To think otherwise relays a message of mental retardation.

That aside, this is the must see movie of the month.

Omega
03-29-2007, 01:38 AM
That aside, this is the must see movie of your life.

Fix'd

Scotty
03-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Such a amazing movie one of the best i have seen in a long time. So good i've seen it 3 times already at the cinema!

Gonna get it on DVD ASAP

intergalacticman
03-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Or even better, 300 Spartans off Halo with swords and miniguns vs. 300 Yetis with rocket launchers and snipers.

i have got to see that sometime

nil8
03-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Good movie. Full of action, good story and epic battles.

The History Channel is running a 2 hr documentary about the real battle.
It's good. It even goes into the historical debates involved.

"300 is about as historicaly accurate as Ice Age 2: The Meltdown was to prehistory."
Props to Paul for making me have a good belly laugh.

300 is not history. It's fiction. Treat it as such and you've accomplished more critical thinking than a third of the people that have seen the movie.

I think the director's cut version will probably be slower and include more aspects of the plot, which I will want to see when it comes out on DVD.

danthegeek
03-31-2007, 06:24 AM
I saw this movie opening weekend and I would have to agree that it was great. My favorite seen had to of been "then we will fight in the shade." because when the persians do fire the arrows the dude starts laughing. I had a good chuckle

Anway for all of those diehard historians.

THIS MOVIE IS NOT A HISTORY LESSON. IT IS A MOVIE BASED ON THE GRAPHIC NOVEL ---300---. DONT FORGET IT..... :twisted: