PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Biggest Subwoofer

progbuddy
03-31-2007, 12:08 PM
You could literally kill someone with this subwoofer. It has a theoretical output of 6,000+ pounds of linear force.

Link (http://www.thetechzone.com/photo/computers.php?photo=13813)

gaz_the_chav
03-31-2007, 12:24 PM
That is a mother of a woofer lol. I wouldent mind a couple of them in my sound system setup!

-gaz

AJ@PR
03-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow.

I would hook that thing up to my xBox if given the chance... :p

Spawn-Inc
03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
oh man... i would love to sleep above that... bass is the best!

but here is another big bass, and its diesel powered! some of you mythbuster fans might remember it. well dammit i can't find any pictures so you just going to have to remember it yourself...

Indybird
03-31-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought my Logitech Z-5500s had powerful bass; that one makes my 10" woofer look like a 1" tinny PC speaker.

Funny thing is my woofer makes the ceiling below me crumble a little bit, that would prolly make my whole house fall apart.

progbuddy
03-31-2007, 12:59 PM
My 520 watt component system is currently hooked to my Xbox 360. Its awesome :D. I have two 180 watt tube subwoofers, 4 38 watt main speakers, and two tweeters. I shake the room when a ship lands in Halo 2. lol

progbuddy
03-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I thought my Logitech Z-5500s had powerful bass; that one makes my 10" woofer look like a 1" tinny PC speaker.

Funny thing is my woofer makes the ceiling below me crumble a little bit, that would prolly make my whole house fall apart.

That wouldn't make your house fall apart. That would make the houses in a whole block fall apart, and bust out every piece of glass for a square mile.

gaz_the_chav
03-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Overall on my Sound system setup ATM I have 6 18" bass drivers going, 2 massive mid range drivers and 28 tweeters! That makes the whole of my garage shake lol!

-gaz

luciusad2004
03-31-2007, 01:55 PM
My 520 watt component system is currently hooked to my Xbox 360. Its awesome :D. I have two 180 watt tube subwoofers, 4 38 watt main speakers, and two tweeters. I shake the room when a ship lands in Halo 2. lol

Thats amazing... Im stuck with my cheap stereo system from Wall-mart. I would love to have something nice though. Great sound makes gaming so much better.

Airbozo
03-31-2007, 01:55 PM
heh, my favorite quote: "...investigating how to create the highest SPL levels, just for fun." Hehe True audio geeks!

CanaBalistic
03-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I've got a 4.1 component system with two Kenwood 18's upfront and two Sony surounds in the back with a powered Sub Woofer. It is very loud. Mind you, i live in an apartment where my neighbors dont mind the loud acoustics. I've never had my reciver's volume past half way. At half, the glasses at the bar of the restaraunt below me start to rattle and fall off the shelf.

Gaz, your system must sound like **** with all thoes speakers. Unless of course, you've got a huge amphitheater in your home to house them in. Remeber, that there is such a thing as too many speakers. :)

Anyway, Thats a gem of a woofer. I've allways wanted a Ginormous Sub to drop in the bed of a pick-up up. Hook up some hydraulics so the truck can "Dance" and go tear up the strip. :)

progbuddy
03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
I've got a 4.1 component system with two Kenwood 18's upfront and two Sony surounds in the back with a powered Sub Woofer. It is very loud. Mind you, i live in an apartment where my neighbors dont mind the loud acoustics. I've never had my reciver's volume past half way. At half, the glasses at the bar of the restaraunt below me start to rattle and fall off the shelf.

Gaz, your system must sound like **** with all thoes speakers. Unless of course, you've got a huge amphitheater in your home to house them in. Remeber, that there is such a thing as too many speakers. :)

Anyway, Thats a gem of a woofer. I've allways wanted a Ginormous Sub to drop in the bed of a pick-up up. Hook up some hydraulics so the truck can "Dance" and go tear up the strip. :)

Kenwoods rock :)

Redundant
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
That sub may be big, but what will happen if you're under this when it's blasting:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/03/vibe-space-gate.jpg (http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/22/vibes-space-gate-38-800-watt-bass-tunnel/)

Speakers with a license to kill.

gaz_the_chav
04-01-2007, 07:49 AM

Lol It is no a home sound system it is an 8000W Pa system lol. I use it for big parties. I have two 4000W amps lol trust me it sounds good!

-gaz

Drew
04-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't know what you're on about. That 'aint a sub.

That's a particle accellerator, that is.

I am joking.....

+rep for the find dude.

sirkillalot617
04-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Who needs a wreaking ball to knock a house down now.

rendermandan
04-01-2007, 03:36 PM
You guys ever see the episode of mythbusters where they built a 5' sub inside a car and powered it off the driveshaft? That was a kick ass idea, but failed miserably!!!

Omega
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
You guys ever see the episode of mythbusters where they built a 5' sub inside a car and powered it off the driveshaft? That was a kick ass idea, but failed miserably!!!

It didn't fail miserably. It actually worked, but when the sunroof popped off of the car due to air pressure, it allowed the woofer to move so far that it ripped the rubber and broke.

azminisk8r
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM
yeah that was great, btw there is a bigger one this is just the biggest one put into a car, read along somewhere in there and it says so

rendermandan
04-01-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah, what I meant by failed miserably was how it tore the surround to shreds, it would have kept going had it not failed. Thats all I meant.

Spawn-Inc
04-01-2007, 09:28 PM

i already said that!!! it didn't work good though. the engine ripped it apart mostly...

rendermandan
04-01-2007, 11:22 PM
i already said that!!! it didn't work good though. the engine ripped it apart mostly...

Dooohhh, Sorry I didnt' see your post. I appologize!
At least I knew what you were talking about :)

Luke122
04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
It's not about volume kids.. it's about clarity.

I have an SI Super T-amp (15w per channel) pushing 2-way bookshelf speakers (home built) with 4" drivers and a 1" tweeter. Audio source is a M-Audio Mobile-Pre USB, connected to my Ubuntu laptop, playing FLAC files (lossless audio format).

So crisp and clear that it'll bring tears to your eyes. :D

CanaBalistic
04-06-2007, 06:53 AM
It's not about volume kids.. it's about clarity.

I have an SI Super T-amp (15w per channel) pushing 2-way bookshelf speakers (home built) with 4" drivers and a 1" tweeter. Audio source is a M-Audio Mobile-Pre USB, connected to my Ubuntu laptop, playing FLAC files (lossless audio format).

So crisp and clear that it'll bring tears to your eyes. :D

How big is an average FLAC file, lets say a 4 min song?

Canadian Eh?
04-06-2007, 07:23 AM
I want that woofer! How Much?!?:)

Luke122
04-13-2007, 05:00 PM
How big is an average FLAC file, lets say a 4 min song?

Sorry for the slow reply here... FLAC files (or at least my FLAC files) average about 10mb per minute of audio. Average song is between 31 and 45mb. :)

xRyokenx
04-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Wow... about clarity, my onboard soundcard stopped functioning, so I installed a different sound card, and everything sounded oh so much better, especially since the "new" card handles more channels. :D Oh, I have most of my songs at like 320kbps, which sounds a lot better than the "standard" 128kbps... but yeah, I'll have to get the lossless format on my PC.

Luke122
04-13-2007, 05:46 PM
The difference in imaging is UNREAL. The soundstage is wider, subtle details are more pronounced, and even lots of the real hifi guys I know are getting into lossless digital, as it's "bit perfect". CD's have some flutter and potential bit errors due to variation in surface reading and disc speed, but streaming from a hdd with a buffer is soooo much better.

Lossless vs CD may be hard to hear a difference for most people, but I imagine that someone who would spend $15,000 on a pre-amp, and $25,000 on speakers would be able to tell the difference for sure.

I'm busting my ass to find the link, but no luck so far...
www.canuckaudiomart.com has some great info on it.

AJ@PR
04-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Sorry for the slow reply here... FLAC files (or at least my FLAC files) average about 10mb per minute of audio. Average song is between 31 and 45mb. :)

Hey Lukifer, :)

Wanted to ask...
Do you rip from CD?
I'd guess the .wav in a CD is higher quality... right? wrong?
Just curious.

Speaking of subwoofers, has anybody heard of the DeathBox?
Here's Death Box II (http://www.decware.com/dbk12.htm)

And here's their House Wrecker (http://www.decware.com/hwk15.htm)

They have another huge box "Jensen-type".
I got to build me some of those in the future.

What do you think about ^^^ those guys?

The Black Pumpkin
04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Actually, FLAC's are just lossless compression, like RAR's. You take a wav file and compress it into FLAC, and you can do the reverse as well.

Luke122
04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey Lukifer, :)

Wanted to ask...
Do you rip from CD?
I'd guess the .wav in a CD is higher quality... right? wrong?
Just curious.

I do actually rip from my CDs to my hdd. I hate swapping out discs, which i do quite often, as very few of my CDs have songs that I like front to back.

Speaking of subwoofers, has anybody heard of the DeathBox?
Here's Death Box II (http://www.decware.com/dbk12.htm)

And here's their House Wrecker (http://www.decware.com/hwk15.htm)

They have another huge box "Jensen-type".
I got to build me some of those in the future.

What do you think about ^^^ those guys?

Never heard of the company.. plus, I got out of big bass systems a couple years back. The biggest thing going when I quit was the DDAudio Beasts.. Digital Dynamics made some truly insane speakers. I had a car system with 2 Alpine Type R 12" subs, running from an MRV-T757 amp, and it was insane. You could hardly breathe in the car with the subs up. :D

I quickly got tired of the extra weight of the subs (yeah, I was a racer..) so I traded them out for a pair of RF HX2 8" subs. The HX2's were super high excursion 8's with big surrounds, and they were nearly as loud as the 12's, 1/4 the weight, but just couldnt play *quite* as deep. Oh well.. only had them for about 2 months, and the car got written off (was T-boned) on the drive home from work.

Akuji
04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I do actually rip from my CDs to my hdd. I hate swapping out discs, which i do quite often, as very few of my CDs have songs that I like front to back.

Never heard of the company.. plus, I got out of big bass systems a couple years back. The biggest thing going when I quit was the DDAudio Beasts.. Digital Dynamics made some truly insane speakers. I had a car system with 2 Alpine Type R 12" subs, running from an MRV-T757 amp, and it was insane. You could hardly breathe in the car with the subs up. :D

I quickly got tired of the extra weight of the subs (yeah, I was a racer..) so I traded them out for a pair of RF HX2 8" subs. The HX2's were super high excursion 8's with big surrounds, and they were nearly as loud as the 12's, 1/4 the weight, but just couldnt play *quite* as deep. Oh well.. only had them for about 2 months, and the car got written off (was T-boned) on the drive home from work.

The Alpine's are sooo nice. :D

kinda off topic but what kind of car?

Luke122
04-17-2007, 02:26 PM
1990 Dodge Shadow ES. 2.5 Turbo, 4 dr, automatic. Hahahaha... paint was faded and peeling, little rust spots, etc.

I got the car for $1500, and immediately got to work on it.

K&N filter, advanced timing 2 degrees, cooler thermostat, new ECU, bleed valve (to fool the wastegate and run 14psi boost instead of stock 9psi), removed the cat, and put on some lighter wheels/tires.

Dyno showed 250hp at the wheels.. and I didnt even get into the internals on the motor! Sadly, I was struck broadside, and the car was totalled before I could get it to the shop to begin the internals. :(

I ended up selling the wreckage for $900 to someone who wanted the engine. :)