PDA

View Full Version : Re-Activating Vista

AKA_RA
04-01-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm in dire need of a hard drive upgrade, which includes replacing my drive that holds Vista. I read on the microsoft website that if i install a major upgrade(in this case it happens to be what they use as an example: memory and hard drive) ill have to reactivate windows. or i can simply uninstall it and reinstall on a new machine(basically i have to uninstall anyways). anyone have experiance with this? is it really that simple? what are the limitations on reactivating? i tried google searching it but all i get when looking for anything involving vista activation are ways to bypass it.

onelegout
04-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I've dealt with the same issue with microsoft OSs and software before.

When you get to the activation screen, choose 'activate by phone'. Phone them up and say 'my computer broke, I payed to have it fixed and now my XP is telling me that I need to reactivate it, but none of the hardware has changed it was just repaired' they will then ask you 'Has this copy of vista been installed on any other computers' answer no of course, then they will ask for the code that it gives you, they will give you an activation code, and you'll be all set.

In general, they will give you a reactivation code unless you are obviously replacing the whole computer. You've just got to phone up and be polite and respectful, talk happily to them and they will respond well, don't go in guns blazing complaining about their rules on new hardware, because they have the power to make your copy obselete...

Good luck,
H

AKA_RA
04-01-2007, 07:10 PM
So in other words, play dumb. Can do. ^_^

SgtM
04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Good advice onelegout. The most important answer to their questions: one.

M$: How many computers is this copy of windows installed on?
You: One.
M$: Thank you, here is your activation code.

azminisk8r
04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
yes and what they dont know wont hurt them

( watch im about to get -10 rep cuz i said it)

.Maleficus.
04-01-2007, 08:25 PM
yes and what they dont know wont hurt them

( watch im about to get -10 rep cuz i said it)
Just curious... If you know what you say is going to get you negative rep, why say it?

Anyways, I see no problems with either plan, and it seems legal enough, so I'd say call them up like suggested. And stgm had a good point: make sure they know it's going on 1 computer.

azminisk8r
04-01-2007, 08:27 PM
the last 3 times i posted something slightly illegal or even got near sugesting it or doing something in my opinion not dangerous i got -6 from each one, and yes i have worked my way back up from - 18 to 0

SgtM
04-01-2007, 10:11 PM
the last 3 times i posted something slightly illegal or even got near sugesting it or doing something in my opinion not dangerous i got -6 from each one, and yes i have worked my way back up from - 18 to 0

There is no slightly illegal. It either is or it isn't.

edit: Thanks!

azminisk8r
04-02-2007, 12:48 AM
thanks?

Ticien
04-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I have had to re-activate XP several times and I can only assume that Vista is not much different. It is very simple, when I called them I simply explained that I had to wipe my hard drive and was reinstalling everything and they gave me a code. Later on I purchased a new hard drive altogether and they gave me another code. As long as you aren't doing anything that is against the law or their terms of service they should happily let you reinstall your OS.

gaz_the_chav
04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I have now activated Vista 5 times - everytime I ring up M$ and they always ask why to which I reply 'The Vista compatible hardware supplied in my Laptop has broken - again' lol.

Hope this helps

-gaz

P.S. My Laptop broke again last night FFS Had to re-partition the HD lolz