PDA

View Full Version : my small story

ninja
06-22-2005, 01:46 PM
hi all, welcome at my first post ^^
my name is kevin, and i'm an extreme newcomer when it comes to (case)modding

(at the mods, if this is in the wrong thread, sorry for that, cuz i didn't know where to put it)

i have been looking at some shiny cases, and when i got at a lanparty, i had enough of it... i wanted to start modding the soul out of my case :)

i've been thinking a while about the theme i wanted, and after a little time, i knew it: radioactive style :)
i dunno if i'm at the right adress here (since u guys are all extreme modders if i check the gallery), but i think you can help me getting started :)

here's the plan:
i want a case that looks radioactive, but a lot of people already have such cutout, so there goes my originality :)
but!!! when i went to a club, i noticed a huge fan which was rotating at a low speed, so that should be insterted in my case too (i'll try to make a photoshop design of what i mean)

here's a list with the things i would like:
cutout which is rotating slowly
some relief (to make it look like some toxic waste was spilled on it)
green & white neons
a keyboard & mouse in the same theme
the help of experienced people :-)
ideas? shoot :D

what do you guys think? wanna help me?
this is the second forum i go to ask help of experienced people, the first one wasn't very helpfull (since they just laughed at me for my newbie-being)

thx for reading this all, and if you have comments, help or ideas, plz tell me
grtz

Zeus
06-22-2005, 02:00 PM
if you could do a mock up drawing of what you have in mind, it might be easier to giv you a hand.

BTW, welcome to TBCS

ninja
06-22-2005, 02:51 PM
hehe thx :)

i'm drawing a quick sketch atm, but i searched a view of that toxic view i want on the case, and here it is (http://img210.echo.cx/img210/2702/rustingbarrelsofnuclearwas5pf.jpg)

*edit*
the fan rotating (don't mind the black stuff, it's just the rotating part that matters) (http://img37.echo.cx/my.php?image=radioactiveoldschoolfantrager0.swf)
should this be possible to make?
*edit2*
that's the side view (http://img217.echo.cx/img217/7820/stuff6bn.jpg)
i'll make a front view tomorrow

grtz

public_eyesore
06-22-2005, 04:11 PM
that doesnt seem to complex compared to some modders like defyant and crimson sky. The first thing to do is to draw a sketch on paper. then measure and draw where you are going to cut with like a pencil. Then measure again and start cutting. Probably the hardest part of modding is just getting out there and doing it. :D

Bum
06-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Some quick thoughts on how to accomplish your ideas:

This might be an option for your "radioactive stuff". http://www.mashie.org/casemods/asteroid2.html
Obviously you'd have to adapt the texture a bit but I've always found this mod pretty ingenious.

For your rotating sign, I'm thinking a modified fan with a potentiometer would be a realtively easy way to go.

Xato
06-23-2005, 01:47 AM
We welcome all on these forums... we just ask that you do you bit in posting :D
Most people on this forum are 'noobs' and have come here to learn, like myself. No one claims to be the best around, we just give praise to those who deserve.

Yeh, the industrial look is awesome, and mixed with the radio active style it could turn out really cool. If you could find a fan thats of the right size, it wont be hard to hook up... just alter the voltage to suit the speed.

You may need to custom make the fan though... which will obviously be a little more advanced.

And btw, not to try and wreck your theme or anything, but isn't the atomic symbol generally Yellow, whereas Biohazard is green? (mentioned in CCFL colours)

ninja
06-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Some quick thoughts on how to accomplish your ideas:

This might be an option for your "radioactive stuff". http://www.mashie.org/casemods/asteroid2.html
Obviously you'd have to adapt the texture a bit but I've always found this mod pretty ingenious.

For your rotating sign, I'm thinking a modified fan with a potentiometer would be a realtively easy way to go.

wow that's exactly what i had in mind :eek:
and what's a potentiometer? a 'device' to adjust the speed of the fan or something?

And btw, not to try and wreck your theme or anything, but isn't the atomic symbol generally Yellow, whereas Biohazard is green? (mentioned in CCFL colours)

you got a point there xD
maybe the case in a green paint, and gold/yellow CCFL's? anyone who is familiar with using different CCFL colors?

grtz

Malatory
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Potentionmeter is a reistor that adjusted from 0 - 100ohms (in a 0-100 pot). It is a basic design to limit vlotage to the fan so it only turns 5-6 time a minute vs the 2000rpm that it has out of the box.

Bum
06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes...a potentiometer adjusts the amount of current in a circuit. It will allow you to change the speed of your fan. They make many kinds and generally call them fan controls.

Xato
06-23-2005, 11:50 PM
I was wondering what the hell you were all talking about... at least i learnt a new word =D
Seeing as how its going to be going slow all the time, wouldn't a resistor in the circuit do just fine?

Cymae
06-24-2005, 01:08 AM
mm, it might be a good idea to keep it adjustable tho don't you think...i mean you have to keep in mind that you'll want it to have some cooling abilities.

Xato
06-25-2005, 06:18 AM
Lol, Industrial sized cooling... that will get pretty noisy running fast though.

Cymae
06-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Lol, Industrial sized cooling... that will get pretty noisy running fast though.

While he's at it, he could mod a small jet engine as the fan ;)

Xato
06-25-2005, 10:10 AM
He could run his water cooling directly under antarctica.

LuxoDave
06-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I think a big slow moving fan would be a cool mod.

Xato
06-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Thats his plan... Plus having such a large fan moving fast in your case could shake some things to pieces... depending on speed, and the structure inside you case... Eitherway, a pentionometer or just a standard resistor (possibly a switch between 2 resistors of different speeds) is the way to go.

Xbrid
06-26-2005, 02:02 AM
good luck

ninja
06-26-2005, 05:19 PM
hehe, glad to read that guys like you say it's a cool idea :)

while surfing on this forum, i saw that some ppl use a program to make blueprints of their case, can anyone tell me which program that is?

grtz :)

Xato
06-27-2005, 03:42 AM
You can either use a 3d modelling program such as 3D Studio Max (you can get the trail for this at www.discreet.com ) or you could just use a program like photoshop to make 2D blueprints... or if you wanna do it old school styles, you could just use a pencil and paper :D

craigr1982
06-27-2005, 05:05 AM
I use Sketchup, it is an extremely easy to use 3d modelling program. You can get a trial from here http://www.sketchup.com/ or if you pm me I wil send you a cracked version. £400 is a bit steep for the real thing

ninja
06-27-2005, 05:42 AM
I use Sketchup, it is an extremely easy to use 3d modelling program. You can get a trial from here http://www.sketchup.com/ or if you pm me I wil send you a cracked version. £400 is a bit steep for the real thing

check pm ;)

thx for replies, but 3dsmax is too difficult for me, in the next 2 months of holiday, i'll try to get the hang of that program :)

and i think i'll start modding the case very soon too

grtz

nil8
06-27-2005, 02:31 PM
The fan idea sounds good and you could hook up that pot to an adjustable dial and set your fan speed depending on your use.

ninja
06-28-2005, 09:42 AM
The fan idea sounds good and you could hook up that pot to an adjustable dial and set your fan speed depending on your use.

that fan won't do any cooling, cuz the blades will be flat, it will only be there for the visual effect :)

i'm not sure which cooling i will use for this one =/

my budget (and mother, who hates casemodding) doesn't allow me to buy a decent watercooling :mad:

when i was thinking how to realise, i found another problem:
the cases i have are too small to fit in everything, they are some cheap standard things which can't even support a decent 120mm fan :(
should it be possible to create a new case out of nothing? or to "merge" (couldn't find the right word in english) 2 cases?

grtz

richmandudeus
07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
hmm not to sure about your prob there... try getting a smaller fan, cut off the blades and see if the sheer weight of the larger blades would help slow it down a tad.

I saw that done before. The guy placed a bunch of random windows on the side panel and when it would spin, each window showed a different animated scene. Looked pretty cool to me but a lot of work on the art of the blades if you ask me.

Anywho... anyway i could get that program from yah? ;)

Good luck on your modding by the way.