PDA

View Full Version : FAQ's

DaveW
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
This thread is for TBCS users old and new to ask questions about TBCS and how everything works. If you leave a question in this thread, then one our staff members will answer it.

-Dave

Bucko
04-04-2007, 04:17 AM
Dave,
Are animated GIFs in signatures still not allowed? I don't want one myself, but I notice there is no reference to it in the new rules.

DaveW
04-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Still not allowed Bucko, thanks for pointing that out! I'll amend the rules later when i've collected everything.

-Dave

Drum Thumper
04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
When a user gets their second green reputation tile, they become a 'TBCS Regular'. The TBCS regulars get certain bonuses, such as:

* Mailbox increases in size to 100.
* Can set a Custom Title.
* Can upload their signature image to the TBCS server.

I got all this @ 25 rep. IIRC, the second tile is @ 40 rep.

.Maleficus.
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Will there ever be a way to see all of the rep you've ever received? Not just the most recent?

DaveW
04-04-2007, 05:44 PM
If the VBulletin guys ever put it in, yes. Unfortunately the Rep system is actually fairly new in VBulletin, and i had to do a little bit of hacking to get it to work for us. Green tiles are supposed to be worth 100 rep points or something, and there's no way to change that without a little 'studio engineering' if you get my drift. It makes updating the software that much more fun...lol.

-Dave

DaveW
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Dave,
Are animated GIFs in signatures still not allowed? I don't want one myself, but I notice there is no reference to it in the new rules.

Actually, it was already in there, Rule 3.3. :p

-Dave

xRyokenx
04-05-2007, 12:35 AM
This isn't much of an FAQ, but for the sake of users like me (I have minor dyslexia and a little astigmatism), could you add a bit of color to the rules? Just change the headings of different areas to orange or something, I have a lot of trouble reading stuff if it's long like that, and all the same font, color, etc. Thanks.

EDIT: Not to be too demanding, or annoying, but size change would be good too, thanks.

Oh, and delete this if you want after you've read it/whatever.

DaveW
04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
That's fine Ryoken, my girlfriend has Dyslexia and i understand how difficult it can be, especially if people don't take it into consideration. I'll try and add a dash of color to the rules, but it might be easier if you told me specifically what would help, eg: big orange headings?

I've also heard that Comic Sans, the most overused font in the world, is supposed to be difficult for dyslexic people to read: would you find the rules easier to read in a font such as Arial?

-Dave

DaveW
04-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Every teacher/employer I've ever had in my life HATED that font.

That's my point. It was never intended to be used, the author himself set up a website to stop people from using it. I believe this is it here. (http://bancomicsans.com/home.html) It's only marginally more useful than wingdings as a font.

-Dave

xRyokenx
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Big orange headers sounds fine by me, but just be creative...

About the fonts, apparently Comic Sans is added to the list that was recently only occupied by Times New Roman... I can read Arial though, so knock yourself out. :D

jaxspades
04-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey Dave, what does the Buddy list do for users?
Is it just easier to PM them, like a contacts list, or...?

DaveW
04-09-2007, 05:11 AM
If i remember correctly, a little cross appears next to their name in the 'who's online' list. There's probably more to it but i don't know for sure...

-Dave

Zephik
04-23-2007, 01:24 AM
In our profiles, why do we not have a gender option?

Seriously, we need one. lol I'm sick of people thinking that I'm a girl! lol

gaz_the_chav
04-23-2007, 04:52 AM
In our profiles, why do we not have a gender option?

Seriously, we need one. lol I'm sick of people thinking that I'm a girl! lol

What do you mean your not?!

Only joking but the reason why there is no gender option is becuase it is not built into vBulletin but whether Dave can put one in is another story...

-gaz

DaveW
04-23-2007, 07:48 AM
We can add custom fields. But i honestly don't see the point. The only girls we've had around here were pretty reluctant to reveal this, and it's pretty clear why if you look at things like MDCS's and Amberella's threads. Everyone's like "Ooh, a girl modder! Your hot!" etc. etc. etc.

Personally, I don't think that gender really matters. If it's that important to you, put it in your sig. :)

-Dave

Rankenphile
04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
We can add custom fields. But i honestly don't see the point. The only girls we've had around here were pretty reluctant to reveal this, and it's pretty clear why if you look at things like MDCS's and Amberella's threads. Everyone's like "Ooh, a girl modder! Your hot!" etc. etc. etc.

Personally, I don't think that gender really matters. If it's that important to you, put it in your sig. :)

-Dave

this is why we will never have this field enabled if I have any say in the matter.

xRyokenx
04-24-2007, 01:34 AM
I haven't ever given a crap about gender... except in a few areas that don't apply to computers, lol. Hell, if you happen to be female and a modder, then that's great, if not, that's great too, who cares? Lol.

Oh, and you'd think more people here would be a bit more mature about statements that they make... but overall, you guys are great. :up:

Zephik
04-24-2007, 05:44 PM
lol

There, I have now updated my profile. For those of you who are still confused, feel free to take a gander!

Btw, I can see now why having a gender field would be a problem. It really is best if we don't have one. lol if only there weren't so many lonely perverted men on the internet...

DaveW
04-24-2007, 07:17 PM
if only there weren't so many lonely perverted men on the internet...

I think we got most of em in here... :p Nah, i'm kidding.

-Dave

gaz_the_chav
04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Nah, i'm kidding.

-Dave

We're not?!

I am

Seriously....

Only Joking

-gaz

xRyokenx
04-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Change the "perverted" to young, and you'd have me, lol.

For those of you that are slow (if any :D) that makes it "lonely young men." lol

simon275
04-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Just a question about the rep system.

One of these http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7605/greyrepfc5.png appears in your user control panel for rep if the person gives you it and they have less then 10 posts. At the time they had less then 10 posts. But now the person who gave the rep has 13 posts and the rep hasn't changed. I'm not trying to nitpick or anything just a heads up.

DaveW
04-27-2007, 06:15 AM
But now the person who gave the rep has 13 posts and the rep hasn't changed. I'm not trying to nitpick or anything just a heads up.

I believe this is actually a bug in VBulletin. I tried to fix this before by forcing a 'recount' of the Reps. I think we all remember the merry hell that caused, so maybe we're just going to have to wait for a while on this one. :)

-Dave

Bucko
04-28-2007, 07:32 AM
While we are talking Reps and the like, I noticed Airbozo has his 6th rep box (congratulations AB!), however I noticed his status hasn't changed.
It still shows him as "Airbozo has iconic status around here".
Now by the info I was given when writing the Rep Guide, that should only stay until he reaches 200 rep points, at which stage he should have "Airbozo s a pillar of this community" come up.
By the fact he has the 6th box, he should have over 220 rep points as the 6th box takes 60 points to get after getting the 5th at 160 rep points.
So even if the 6th was got after only another 40 rep points at 200 total, his status should still change.

DaveW
04-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Well noticed Bucko! Although it's not actually a glitch, it's set up this way.

Some of the info in your guide isn't quite correct, but only for the later stages. I've changed it to be more accurate and fixed one of them server side to reflect your guide, sort of a 'meet in the middle' deal. +rep for hawkeyes. :D

EDIT: Noticed a few other points where this happens too. Rep points increase at 80, not 100. I've also lowered the minimum post count to 5, and changed your guide to reflect it. There was a mistake in the negative post counts section and a few other things that i've fixed. It should now be 100% correct.

-Dave

Bucko
04-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks Dave. I went off a screen capture Crimson gave me on where the status changes.
The other bits I went off reading all the threads on rep points and where you (I think) said it was at 100 points for the rep power to change.

I see Airbozo is now a pillar of this community, though Commando only has iconic status. Shouldn't he have something different as he has the 6th box?

DaveW
04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
The boxes and the 'ranks' or whatever they are don't match up, although they probably aught to. The thinking behind it is that although the blips get given at fairly regular intervals, you can tell vaguely how close a person is to getting their next blip by looking at their 'rank' thingymijigger.

-Dave

.Maleficus.
04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
The boxes and the 'ranks' or whatever they are don't match up, although they probably aught to. The thinking behind it is that although the blips get given at fairly regular intervals, you can tell vaguely how close a person is to getting their next blip by looking at their 'rank' thingymijigger.

-Dave
I've noticed that. There can be 2 people with the same amount of boxes, but one may say one thing, and the other person's might say another, and the second person is closer to the next box because of it.

Bucko
04-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I realise that is how it works, that two people can have the same amount of boxes, yet have different ranks.
The point I was making is the "Pillar of this community" should come in at 200 rep points. Commando should have at least 220 points to have the 6th box, yet it says he has iconic status still.

DaveW
04-30-2007, 03:27 PM
"*user* has iconic status around here" (175-199)
"*user* is a pillar of this community" (200-249)

By eck you're on the ball lad. T'was set up wrong. It should be fixed now.

+Rep that man.

-Dave