PDA

View Full Version : My case

binarypotato
06-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm really new to the modding world and just had a few questions.

I wanted to cut some designs into my case using a Dremel Tool, and was wondering if anyone knew what the best way would be to put the designs onto my case before cutting? Should I trace or what? I have no idea.

Secondly, does anyone know where I can purchase the Flexi-glass or maybe another better material to put inside the case behind the cuttings?

Third, is it best to connect LEDs and Cathodes into your power supply, or use an alternate method?

Fourth, if I wanted to paint my case, whats the best kind of paint to use? And should I do anything special to the case?

Thanks in advance for whatever help I recieve. :)

DRece
06-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Welcome to Modding !!!

1) Trace the designs on the side without the paint and think it through carefully.
I learned that on my project the hard way.

2)Try your local glass or auto glass place.

3)The simplest method is plug to your psu, I do not know of others than that.

4)Painting your case is like painting any peice of metal or plastic, you strip, clean and than paint with spray paint. There are tutorials but I have no sites like the other can give.

binarypotato
06-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Cool thanks, Now can anyone tell me where to acquire something easy to use to trace the designs? Metal stencils? Or anything like that?

DRece
06-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Cool thanks, Now can anyone tell me where to acquire something easy to use to trace the designs? Metal stencils? Or anything like that?

Just about anything thats black and white, just depends on how much work you want to put into it. Just pretty much find a image that is black and white, print it, trace it on to the case, than cut and file it out.

Xato
06-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeh, Printing out designs it the easiest way, then use a marker to draw them on. Then proceed with cutting etc.
Or you could sketch directly onto the metal, using a pencil at first, then going over it in marker.

inspiredbyasphalt
06-24-2005, 02:54 AM
when youre on the look out for plexi, hit your local plastics supplier, i went in once and asked for a couple of smallish peices and was hit with a charge of around 30dollars, so i went back a few days later and asked if they had any offcuts and got more than what i would have for 30dollars for FREE!

as you prob know, plexi comes with protective layers on either sides so its easy to draw on your design without any worries of marking the plastic

when youre cutting the case do as Drece said, its better to mark on the inside of the case where it cant be seen

as for stencils, i use clear contact or laminating plastic so i could draw on it with marker and then stick it to the surface i was planning on cutting, this means there are no marks whatso ever on the cutting surface and the excess contact can be peelled right off afterwards

Rachel
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Lowes has plexi and they have lots of scraps too.

Malatory
06-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Acrylic or Plexiglass can be found at any hardware store.

Painting plasitc, Use paint that is designed for plastic (Fuson/ Vinal Die). Clean all pieces 1st and give plenty of drying time between coats.

black and white image and cut out the mirror image you want. Also think about using thick tape and draw the image on that. If something turns out wrong you not looking to strip the ink off the metal. Just pull it up and replace with new strips.

binarypotato
06-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Acrylic or Plexiglass can be found at any hardware store.

Painting plasitc, Use paint that is designed for plastic (Fuson/ Vinal Die). Clean all pieces 1st and give plenty of drying time between coats.

black and white image and cut out the mirror image you want. Also think about using thick tape and draw the image on that. If something turns out wrong you not looking to strip the ink off the metal. Just pull it up and replace with new strips.

I don't intend on painting much plastic, I suppose the bevel and fronts of my optical drives. But the rest of the case is metal.