PDA

View Full Version : The new 7800 GPUs are out for the pc !!!

DRece
06-22-2005, 08:52 PM
The new 7800 GPUs are out for the pc, its looks like it is amazing.

I thougt that it wouldn't get this far this fast.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800.html

public_eyesore
06-22-2005, 09:32 PM
what the point if theres no games out right now that can harness the power? Wait til christmas when the games start coming out and maybe the price will have dereased.

p.s. The 7800gtx is said to be as twice as powerful as a 6800u

temmink
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Drool... They should release the Ultra variant in the next little while then. On the plus side this should drive down the price of those SLi 6800 Ultras that everyone is banging on about (including me :) ). I'm keen to see what ATI's response will be... suspense is fun. Nice spot btw, big ups DRece.

public_eyesore
06-22-2005, 09:45 PM
atually nvidia said there wasnt gonna be an ultra due to the good response from the gt series.

I just looked at the hard ocp review and the card isnt "twice" as powerful, but the new lighting is absolutly AMAZING.

Frakk
06-22-2005, 09:55 PM
ati will bring out the R520 chips pretty soon too. just imagine two of these new generation cards in dual setup. im still yet to find a game that wouldnt run flawlessly maxed out on my x800pro. i dont see any reason to upgrade :D

public_eyesore
06-22-2005, 09:57 PM
actually hardocp reviews single and sli setup of the 7800gtx

Cwrench
06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
hmmm sounds good, maybe they will make 6800 a little cheaper so i could get one
dang it!!

public_eyesore
06-23-2005, 09:02 PM
ati will bring out the R520 chips pretty soon too. just imagine two of these new generation cards in dual setup. im still yet to find a game that wouldnt run flawlessly maxed out on my x800pro. i dont see any reason to upgrade :D

Naw man the new lighting atually enhances games that are out right now, if you havent , go take a look at how much better splinter cell's lighting is compared to i think a 6800 ultra

Frakk
06-23-2005, 10:17 PM
it might have some features that enhance graphics but not for $600usd. there are just so many, more useful things around to spend that money on when you already have a decent videocard. of course if someone is building a comp its different, they might wanna shell out couple extra coins to get the best and be somewhat futureproof. anyways, im with the ATI bandwagon and im pretty sure the R520 will kick the G70's ass real hard nvidia will run home crying just like with the 6800 and 850 series. and now nvidia doesnt even have the SLI advantage, but Crossfire is kickin its ass hard too.

public_eyesore
06-23-2005, 11:11 PM
crossfire hasnt even come out. I think your just a fanboy :p

Xato
06-24-2005, 12:18 AM
The 7800 was just released as a quick fix for the X850... Only a few more features, but nothing revolutionary.

Zeus
06-24-2005, 01:22 AM
it might have some features that enhance graphics but not for $600usd. there are just so many, more useful things around to spend that money on when you already have a decent videocard. of course if someone is building a comp its different, they might wanna shell out couple extra coins to get the best and be somewhat futureproof. anyways, im with the ATI bandwagon and im pretty sure the R520 will kick the G70's ass real hard nvidia will run home crying just like with the 6800 and 850 series. and now nvidia doesnt even have the SLI advantage, but Crossfire is kickin its ass hard too.

maybe, maybe not
http://omid.tomshardware.com/

Frakk
06-24-2005, 11:26 AM
what i get out of that article is that nvidia sells more videocards than ati and thats where they win. I dont know if thats true, nvidias last, the FX series was a real burn and a lot more ppl bought better ati cards for less. "Unless ATI can come up with an Extreme Makeover of epic proportions, it risks losing the high-end of the desktop forever. Not because of technology or product, but because it lacks the testicular chutzpah of Nvidia." what they say is its not the technology, its the marketing of ati that will hurt, which I dont believe. Anyways my post wasnt about this, but the performance and the overall dual gpu setups. Ati is just a better buy for price/performance and they have amazing tech support as well.

Zeus
06-24-2005, 09:33 PM
I respect your interpretation. I thought it was very lucid.

public_eyesore
06-24-2005, 09:54 PM
i think for other products the packaging might count, but no one thats building their own computer is going to pick the lesser of 2 cards

Xbrid
06-24-2005, 10:44 PM
ATI will kick Nvidea's ass now cause they already had the better gpu and now they have taken away Nvidea's advanntage of SLI. Also i saw somewhere that the X900 XT P.E. will have 32 pixel pipelines. ATI also has the advantage of knowing the opposition's performance. My money is on ATI.

public_eyesore
06-24-2005, 10:53 PM
I was just wondering, is this the same chip thats gonna be used in the ps3?

Frakk
06-24-2005, 10:57 PM
nvidias have 32 pipelines as well, ati cannot afford to stay on 16 and they will have to go 32, or god knows if they took it a step further with their 90nm fab processing. if they did, nvidia will cry, but they most likely do 32 pipes. also ati is making unified pipelines on their R500 (xbox 360 gpu) which is a HUGE advantage for the future because the processor's power can be used 100% and there wont be resting vertex or pixel pipelines, each will do both. however, "It remains to be seen whether ATI will adopt a unified shader approach or a more conventional GPU with R520, but we will place our bets on it being a more conventional GPU for the time being, despite how radical R500, or Xbox 360's GPU, is designed."

We get the impression that ATI are waiting for final performance numbers on GeForce 7800 GTX before they go ahead and finalise the clock speeds of top-end SKU based around their upcoming R520. By that time, NVIDIA have the option to release a faster part that will more than likely be labelled a GeForce 7800 Ultra, seeing as they've only used a single slot cooling solution that is constructed entirely from Aluminium – we await the arrival of a dual slot copper based cooler once R520 has 'beaten' GeForce 7800 GTX in a few benchmarks.

I think that says it all. ati now can settle at a speed, but nvidia will bring out more models, most likely with higher speeds. i dont think that a few mhz will help them, but we will have to see.

Xato
06-25-2005, 06:46 AM
I respect your interpretation. I thought it was very lucid.

I thought u said flacid for a sec...

Sigmund Freud strikes again!

Dgephri
06-26-2005, 01:32 PM
having one running, as of yesterday morning, I can say its a little more than a clock revision or just a "few" changes to the 6800. Smaller, single slot, longer, and much quieter. Speculation is rarely accurate, anything that follows can potentially beat it having learned what to do differently.

It runs HL2 at 1600X1200 "like butter." I could list all the settings, but I was pushing it pretty hard to see how it behaved. The "optimal overclock" at a little over 400/1.13 dropped to desktop from BF2 and UT2K4 a couple times, so I expect its a stability issue not a RAM or Pipe issue at those clocks.

The Luna Demo, LIVE, is VERY impressive. Those at the Nvidia GeForce party and trade shows were likely as impressed as I was.

Bench in 3dMark05, using the Optimal driver overclock, was a little over 8600 running on an FX-53, stock (no OC on that yet) and 1Gig of PC4000 Corsair in Dual Channel mode. Motherboard is a DFI UT Lan Party, modded to SLI and SATAII, but I am still waiting on my second 7800 to test in it (Geforce LAN prizes, both).

In BF2, it opens up the 1600X1200 settings, and I tried them at High +2XAA while clocked, it ran smoothly, but the desktop crash concerns me so I dropped it back to stock until I get another cooler for it.

Frakk
06-26-2005, 05:20 PM
. Speculation is rarely accurate, anything that follows can potentially beat it having learned what to do differently.

noone said it will be an overclocked 6800 chip, they are actually two totally different architectures with double of the pipelines. anyways, good for you to have this nice card, but im still waiting for ati r520 in crossfire :D

Zeus
06-26-2005, 07:07 PM
well, either way, if anywone decides to upgrade and has a newly "displaced" card, let me know. Maybe I can help take it off your hands
:smiles devilishly: