PDA

View Full Version : Cheap webcam

fuzzyfuzion
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey people, got some info for webcams, and being new I askes around be4 posting this. It is legal, plus a real cheap way to get a webcam. I'm in Virginia, and here we have a place called Game Stop. They buy and sell new/used games and components for game consols. I got a PS2 eye toy the other day for a meager $5, and when I got home I got to thinking. . . "that's a USB connector, and it's really just a webcam. . .hmmmm I wonder if how connectable it is to the PC". I hooked it up and my PC "recognized" it right off . . . just didn't know what to do with it. So I googled it. that's when I found this . . . http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/archives/2006/01/05/how_to_use_the_playstation_eyetoy_on_windows.html
A couple of changes to the code, and poof, PC webcam. Plus I feel far better about killing a $5 webcam as opposed to $30+ webcam. Also it has the potential to add infer red LED's (night vision), to be built into a monitor or case mod, or just a mod all it's own. Oh yeah, +rep to AJ@PR for the "should I?" help.

Aero
04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I've been using my Eyetoy as a webcam for about 2 years now. I even hid it in my backback and walked around school (actually left it on during finals, didn't even see the paper, but got a cool low angle shot that went on for about 90 minutes that really spiced up the future rock montage).

Plus, if you ever take one apart, you will find that all the componants are on 1 board...thats mounted vertically! You can mod this thing to be slightly larger than a thumbdrive. Plus you have a built in microphone and pretty good resolution. Only problem is it has trouble with direct sunlight sometimes.

heres some footage of my trip to Canada last summer that I took entirly with the Eyetoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE4Di5TYUa4

Zephik
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Good footage there Aero. Very cool. Now, is that using the Eye Toy?

Aero
04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
yeperoni

it lacks auto focus, which is good for things like mounting it it cars...and driving the speed limit while obeying all the rules of the road...but not so good for going from my dead sexy face to a water fall.

xRyokenx
04-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Your commentary is entertaining, ever thought about doing one of those documentaries on Egyptian pyramids or anything?