PDA

View Full Version : YouTube issues

Drew
04-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Hiya people, if this is in the wrong bit, please move it to where it needs to be :D

I got my shiny new (kinda) Nvidia MX 440 from DaveW (diamond geezer), and was expecting to be able to watch youtube vids without them starting and stopping continuously......

I could be being a moron, but doesn't video go throught the video card?

I'm sure the MX can do it.... have I missed a setting?

Or is it simply because of the 531Mhz CPU?

:confused:

p.s. loving 1440 x 900 resolution... that's cool....

onelegout
04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Youtube videos stream from the youtube servers, they only partially download before starting, it is this which causes the stopping and starting; when the video catches up with the bits that is loading it stops until enough has been loaded before the video continues.
I'm afraid that in order to stop the youtube videos stalling, you will need to either purchase a faster internet service, or wait for the videos to fully download before playing them (you can see how much of the video has downloaded (or 'buffered') on the play position of the youtube video. The dark red bit of the line is how much has downloaded and the light red bit is the bit which has been played.

Hope that helps,
H

P.S. had a few beers, someone else please explain that a bit clearer!

Eclecticos
04-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Get zFiosDSL.

Drew
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Dunno what zFiosDSL is, and waiting till the video is downloaded doesn't make a difference (I did try).

And I got a reliable 7+Mb connection.... Not fast enough?

onelegout
04-05-2007, 11:21 PM
aah ok, sorry if I sounded patronising!

Have you tried updating your macromedia flash?
H

Commando
04-06-2007, 01:03 AM
onelegout is all over this one. The videos on you tube are flash format which is kinda wonky anyway. Don't grade your video card on how it plays flash video, that's for sure....

Drew
04-06-2007, 06:47 AM
I wasn't dissing the card at all, I was ondering if I'd missed some kinda setting or summat (cards great... cheers DaveW).

sorry if I sounded patronising

Nah, you didn't sound patronising, lots of people wouldn't have tried it....

I'm running the latest flash player (I believe it's the latest... It can only be a couple of weeks old due to a reinstall).

I've reinstalled it several times, and even downloaded quicktime 'cos I'm a pillock and thought I could use that to stream flash movies.

Thanks for scratching your heads over this, much appreciated.

DaveW
04-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Did you remember that the fan on the card doesn't work? You'll need to ghetto mod that card if you don't want it to overheat. ;)

-Dave

Drew
04-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Oops.. I think you sent the wrong one... the fan goes like hell.

In fact, it sounds like a bloody aircraft coming in (I love it, wife hates it).

DaveW
04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
If i remember correctly, it turns very very slowly, and still makes that noise. Like 1 or two revolutions a second. At least, after a few seconds of running it was doing that. I distinctly remember something was wrong with the fan anyway.

-Dave

Drew
04-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Consider it ghetto modded :p :up:

Drew
04-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Gawd, how ghetto....

I just got back from modding the card... now it has an 80mm UV reactive blue fan for cooling.... held on mith my favourite, cable ties!

I wanted to use silicone sealer too, but couldn't find where...

Quieter though, and it 'aint likely to overheat now...

Right, back to youtube & flash video.... any more ideas?

DaveW
04-07-2007, 10:19 AM
So it's still running slow? Hmm...what about BIOS settings? The card might be getting throttled by the BIOS if it's still configured for your old TNT card. See if you can increase the bus speed or the memory size of the card, etc.

Failing that, i'd make sure you've uninstalled all your old drivers and such too, in case they're interfering.

-Dave

Drew
04-07-2007, 12:12 PM
:up: shall do.

Drew
04-07-2007, 04:13 PM
This is really getting to me now. I mean really.

I'm pretty sure it's not video card related now, am leaning more towards processor speed holding it up.

Could anyone please confirm that a 500mhz CPU can run small videos?

Or confirm that not?

Getting fed up now.... and can't sfford my new MoBo for a while yet.... :(

DaveW
04-08-2007, 08:56 AM
500Mhz should be able to do that. What about RAM?

-Dave

Drew
04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
256mb

DaveW
04-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Hmm...i'm thinking software now. Youtube uses flash, but they shouldn't be that hard to play...your hardware should be able to manage it...

-Dave

Drew
04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Just back from a fresh XP install.

Installed software in order:

XP
NVidia drivers
AVG AnitVirus
AVG AntiSpyware
Flash Player 9

Still doing it. Grrrrrrrrrr

:edit: Now SP2'd up.... probs continuing.

onelegout
04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Hey drew,
I've got some half-good, half-bad news.
I figured that if your issue was cpu based, I could replicate it by using all of my cpu's power on a seperate task and running a youtube video.
What I did was try to extract two ISOs from two seperate large groups of spanned-rar files. I then ran a youtube video and sure enough It stalled and started and lagged like hell.

So, on one hand I guess that it's bad news as it means that your cpu is probably the culprit and that's not an easily fixable problem :(

On the other hand though, at least you might have some closure with this problem, there's nothing worse than getting frustrated when you cant find out what's causing your problem, but at least when you find out what it probably is, you can work at upgrading/fixing the culprit hardware.

Peace,
H

DaveW
04-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Lol...i have a couple of Athlon XP 1100's kicking around. I can spare you one if you can get a hold of a Socket A motherboard. (I feel like father Christmas here.)

For the record, i firmly believe that what goes around, comes around Drew; you don't need to pay me back for anything, because one day, you'll help someone out. Maybe that person will then help me, who knows? So i don't mind sharing and helping. If you can get a socket A mobo, i'll send you a PSU. I have plenty of socket A mobos, but i don't know what works and what doesn't; I'm certain they're all faulty.

-Dave

Drew
04-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Onelegout, thanks dude, closure is at least closure, I feel better now that I know what the problem is :up:

Dave - Gawd mate, what are you like?

I'll have a squiz for a Socket A and see what I've got.......

Redundant
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
(I feel like father Christmas here.)
For the record, i firmly believe that what goes around, comes around Drew; you don't need to pay me back for anything, because one day, you'll help someone out. Maybe that person will then help me, who knows?
-Dave
Did you ever see the movie "Les Miserables"? Has something similar in it and, although a bit old, it's pretty good; you might want to watch it.

DaveW
04-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Did you ever see the movie "Les Miserables"?

I've never seen the movie, or the musical. But I have read the novel. ;) (And it's genius, by the way.)

-Dave

Drew
04-10-2007, 04:43 AM
What's it about?

A frenchman dressed as Santa Claus running about giving away PC bits to re-balance his karma like 'My name is Earl'?

Or am I a sad, uncultured swine?

Redundant
04-11-2007, 10:23 PM
What's it about?

A frenchman dressed as Santa Claus running about giving away PC bits to re-balance his karma like 'My name is Earl'?

No. I'll tell you about the similarity to Dave but the whole story is very in-depth.

There is this convict that escaped from prison and ends up being allow to stay at a bishop's house. When he steals all the silver and the police brings him back, the bishop forgives him and tells him to take the two candle sticks (made of silver...). He starts crying, etc, etc... So, like, 10 years later, he comes up with an idea to make money and eventually become mayor of a town outside of Paris. When he's visiting the police station, he sees a prostitute being arrested (not like today's prostitutes...) because she slapped a "gentleman" that tried to touch her or something. He gets her out of trouble, hears her story where she tells him about her daughter is why she sells herself. He is able to get her daughter from the family that she was paying for to take care of her but she dies.

The candlesticks come again into play again but the point of this is saying someone helped him and he helped someone else later on.

Get it? I hope so because I don't want to have to write half the book/script. :redface: It's a very good movie/book and I encourage you to see/read it.

Drew
04-12-2007, 07:36 AM
I get it.

I think.....

Kinda what goes around comes around kinda thing.

What your saying is, Dave'll got to heaven. Or at least good things should happen, because of his generosity. And maybe not to him, mabe to someone else.

**** this is getting deep.