PDA

View Full Version : DTX: The New Standard

Canadian Eh?
04-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Did anyone else besides me hear about this? AMD has introduced a new mobo spec, named DTX. These will be about two inches maller in width than micro-ATX boards. These mobos can be mounted in ATX cases. They only have two expansion slots :(. Although, these shrinky-dink mobos will include support for all processors. These might catch on with manufacturers because four DTX boards can be made out of one PCB. 4 DTX Boards = 1 PCB! This means these migt be cheaper!

Gone are the Days of BTX?

GT40_GearHead
04-05-2007, 03:38 PM

i dont think so, though you could conclude that gone are the days of micro-ATX !

but if you think a second about it, BTX is kinda of ghost thingy, you don't see it alot do you

Canadian Eh?
04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I guess, I never really liked micro-ATX boards anyways...

luciusad2004
04-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah they said the same things about BTX coming in and taking over and i was like "oh nooooooes all my stuffzorz will need to be replaced" And then hear i am now like... BTX... i think i saw a couple of BTX cases on newegg once.

Although the stuff Intel was saying about BTX sounded like good things, unless it was all just marketing fluff. I don't see why you would waste your time and money coming up with a new format though if their wasn't any real benefits. Of course i could be missing the obvious benefit... painting their pockets green.

jaxspades
04-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Think of it this way--An even smaller mobo means it can fit into more stuff. Which makes the modders happy. 8)

GT40_GearHead
04-07-2007, 06:27 AM
the way i see it the manufacturer would like a smaller PCB

as they said you can make more boards in the same amount of PCB as the old standard

more boards more $$$

luciusad2004
04-07-2007, 01:20 PM
This is just for small form factor stuff though. I don't really think its going to displace ATX in the enthusiast scene. I mean honestly, 2 expansion slots You could throw in a single video card and then one PCI device.

Im sure it will be great though for businesses and people looking to buy cheaper premade computers.

CanaBalistic
04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Did anyone else besides me hear about this? AMD has introduced a new mobo spec, named DTX. These will be about two inches maller in width than micro-ATX boards. These mobos can be mounted in ATX cases. They only have two expansion slots :(. Although, these shrinky-dink mobos will include support for all processors. These might catch on with manufacturers because four DTX boards can be made out of one PCB. 4 DTX Boards = 1 PCB! This means these migt be cheaper!

Well.. PCB as we all know stands for Printed Circuit Board. So you cant actually make 4 PCB's from one PCB. That would be like trying to get 4 bannanas out of one bannana.

It uses a little less material to make. If you've ever seen the commercial where a guy was hired to make an olive company $1,000,000. He then takes one olive out of every jar and charges the same price. This is that exact same tactic.

Dont expect cheaper boards. Expect less options and frills with thies boards for the same price youre paying now. This way, they can then charge more for ATX and really make a profit.

BTX isnt gone, Its allready got its place in the computer hall of fame and will live on forever in thoes who remember. :)