PDA

View Full Version : Failing HDD?

Exley
04-06-2007, 09:04 PM
So i recently bought a new samsung HDD to put windows vista on (which i really like) but after a few days i encountered a problem. every once in a while my computer will lock up for a second and my new drive makes a high frequency whir followed buy a disturbingly audible click from a normally quiet drive. my computer sense tells me this is bad and that i should back up my stuff and RMA the drive. what to you guys think?

Zephik
04-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Well... I don't think a good working/functioning hard drive would make clicking sounds. ;)

My guess... is that your hard drive is either dead or in the process of dying. Just a guess though. I think, if I can remember right, I had a hard drive that did the same thing. It's in the trash now, but thats only because it got to the point where it frustrated me enough that I threw it off my deck... lol

I would back up your info, you can never take too many precautions. And yes, if you can RMA it, definitely do it.

azminisk8r
04-06-2007, 09:59 PM
quick! back it up and send it back "DOA"

Eclecticos
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
I just had the same thing happen with a seagate 250gb sata HD. I was just chillin' and all of a sudden some weird text popped up on the screen exclaiming sectors and flashing. . and making all kind of noise. . like chipmunks. . control arm Failure?

Vista did it. That I am sure of. :D

Packing it up now for the return.

slytherock
04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
The drive can probably work for a while, but since it's still under warranty, why take the risk... RMA as soon as you can :)

AJ@PR
04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Your HDD seems to be failing...

Allow? Or Deny?

xRyokenx
04-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Allow? Or Deny?

Lol... my Maxtor drive was squeaking for a little while (like a month ago), but hasn't recently... I'm planning on getting a SATA 2 HDD soon anyway, so I'ma not worry about it.

Luke122
04-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Allow? Or Deny?

Hahahahhaa... oh man, that made my day. :D

That Mac commercial... :D it owns.

"You are coming to a sad realization.. allow or deny?" *sigh* allow......

Exley
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey guys, turns out my drive was not dyeing after all. after doing some research it seems that vista defaults to shutting the drives down after about 15 minutes to save power. just to be sure i found the setting and told it to spin down the drive after 3 minutes. i put my hand on the hdd and felt it spin down, sure enough when i clicked the start button i felt the drive spin back up and heard a "click" which i now think was just the read/write head moving back into position.

long story short if you hear you hdd clicking check this setting before you reformat it in preparation to RMA it :evil:

progbuddy
04-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, turns out my drive was not dyeing after all. after doing some research it seems that vista defaults to shutting the drives down after about 15 minutes to save power. just to be sure i found the setting and told it to spin down the drive after 3 minutes. i put my hand on the hdd and felt it spin down, sure enough when i clicked the start button i felt the drive spin back up and heard a "click" which i now think was just the read/write head moving back into position.

long story short if you hear you hdd clicking check this setting before you reformat it in preparation to RMA it :evil:

lol. The clicking noise was the sound of the drive head moving to the "locked" position. It happens when you turn off your PC (normally).