PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to modding...few questions.

Valkerye
06-26-2005, 01:57 AM
I am in the process of planning my first mod. I plan on keeping it very simple to start. A simple design cut out on the side and glass placed inside and hopefully etched (possibly a few pieces of glass will be purchased and turned into coasters).
Now as for my questions:
1) When considering the glass, do you recomend plexi? And do you recomend mounting the glass behind the cut out or flush with the cutout and using rubber molding to secure it.
2) I do plan on doing raised duplicate of my cutout on the top of the case. Not right away but eventually. So is there a recommended material to use when creating the raised image?

Thanks for any help and i'll post more questions as they arise :)

Xato
06-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Welcome to TBCS, and good luck with all future mods!
Now, the questions...
1) I would recommend plexi, as it is less likely to shatter, its a lot easier to cut and engrave. etc etc. Its just a lot more versatile... Glass may in the end give a cleaner look... but for a first time mod... plexi.
And as far as mounting it goes, i've always prefered it to be behind the window, as i think that moulding crap looks ugly. Although thats all preference. You can either attach it using rivets or something that makes it look bolted on... or you can attach it to the back with some type of adhesive...
2) there's a few ways you can do a 'raised' image... You could do it in frosted plexi with a backlight so it all glows... or you could have a metal plate raised and a light below it so it shines underneath... When you have a better idea of what u want it to look like, we'll help you with the technical side.

Once again welcome! Have fun modding!

inspiredbyasphalt
06-26-2005, 08:04 AM
yeah ill have to agree with xato, i like the look of the plexi on the inside of the case, the stuff you use to mount it just doesnt look as good.. there are heaps of threads on windows and etching etc, and plexi is definitely has a majority vote... and it is a very smart idea to have a few peices of scrap or whatever to have a good ol' practice on first

Xato
06-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Yeh, u'll definately need to get the hang of doings freehand engraving... i've never done it myself though.

Xbrid
06-26-2005, 09:45 AM
though it can look really good mounted on the outside if done right, like in TribalOverkill's project ( http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745 ).
good luck with whatever you decide on.

Xato
06-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Oh right, u mean the window...
Yeh, the studs are what really set it off i think.