PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center 2k5 + multiple Hard drives

Maverike-prime
04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Greetings all, I seem to have stumbled onto a most perplexing problem. I'm running a system with windows Media Center 2005 edition on it. The system has a 40Gb primary hard drive, and a 300gb secondary drive with a Multi-format DVD drive. I just added a third hard drive, as a slave on the channel with the DVD drive. The system boots fine, windows' sees the hard drive fine, the files are accessable through windows just fine.
But the Media center part does not see the new hard drive, however I can set the media center to use that new drive for recording, but I can't access that hard drive from with in the Media center.

Anyone have any clue as to how to correct this problem?

(Quick break down:
Windows Explorer see's hard drive.
Windows Media Center 2005 interface allows hard drive to be written to via the Schedualed TV recording menu.
Windows Media center 2005 interface does not see the hard drive)

Bucko
04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
What are your jumper settings on the drives?

SgtM
04-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Don't have much experience with media center, but isn't there an option to search for new media?

Maverike-prime
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
What are your jumper settings on the drives?

The DVD drive is master, the hard drive is slave.

Maverike-prime
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Don't have much experience with media center, but isn't there an option to search for new media?

yep. I can do "add files to media library" from windows Explorer. But when I go the Media center, they don't show up.

stolte
04-24-2007, 02:04 PM
did you check the manufacturer's website for drivers, utilities, etc? :S

nil8
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
I know squat about media center, but if it works like any other version of Windows, you should be able to go to my computer->manage->storage->disk management
Windows will load LMI, and you'll see all your drives. It could have ntfs table issues or be improperly formatted.

My first suggestion is reformat the drive.
My second would be either call up MS and bitch or go to the disk manu's website and see if anyone else has had this issue/resolved this issue.

Luke122
04-24-2007, 05:16 PM
*agree with nil**

Disk management will tell you if the drive is properly formatted/accessible, and if not, you can set it active from there also.

Redundant
04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't have multiple HDDs but I do have Media Center Edition 2005.

So you are saying the HDD doesn't show up in this?:
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4090/mediacenteraddfilesnx6.jpg
(Adding pics is just an example; adding movies and music should look like this too.)

Have you tried this?: Settings>General>Media Center Setup>"Run Media Center Setup Again"

I honestly hate how they just _have_ to "dumb down" media center...

gaz_the_chav
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry not thread jacking but saves making a new one, I have MCE on one of my dozens of computers but how can I open Media centre becuase there is nothing on the menu?!

Cheers

-gaz

jdbnsn
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Your start menu should have this on the "all programs" tab-

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/mceicon.jpg

gaz_the_chav
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
It's not there I just don't have it?! do you know what the .exe file is?

cheers

-gaz

jdbnsn
04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Yeah, you should have this directory C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehshell.exe

That is the command that opens the media center portal. If it's not there, you may need to try re-installing because as I recall the very first time I installed it the media center software didn't install. It was basically WinXP Pro. Not sure why that happened either.

gaz_the_chav
04-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I think thats what has happened on mine thanks man!

-gaz

gaz_the_chav
04-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeh it has the ehome folder but no ehshell inside off it. Did you say that re-installing it helped?

Cheers

-gaz