PDA

View Full Version : 8800 - GTX vs. GTS

Daruvian
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
I've seen so many discussions on this topic... And I've seen a lot of conflicting benchmarks and user input... The bottom line is, yes, two GTS's in SLI will beat the GTX... But the GTX still beats an overclocked GTS... And honestly, there isn't much of anything out there right now that you need that much power for... And with the price of them... And the way prices change on computer components... And if you plan on upgrading later, you're better off going with the GTX as you can always throw a second one in later... And, even with these cards, you must also remember, a lot of games get slowed down due to CPU speeds and not the GPU...

onelegout
04-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I was considering going 8800GTX SLI but instead, I bought one 8800GTX and one 22" monitor - I'm SO glad I did! :)

Daruvian
04-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Yea... I went for the single GTX for now as well... Because there's just no use for more at this time... And when something comes around that needs more... I'll either SLI with another 8800GTX... Or just upgrade to a better card...

bartvandenberg
04-14-2007, 11:54 AM
I've seen so many discussions on this topic... And I've seen a lot of conflicting benchmarks and user input... The bottom line is, yes, two GTS's in SLI will beat the GTX... But the GTX still beats an overclocked GTS... And honestly, there isn't much of anything out there right now that you need that much power for... And with the price of them... And the way prices change on computer components... And if you plan on upgrading later, you're better off going with the GTX as you can always throw a second one in later... And, even with these cards, you must also remember, a lot of games get slowed down due to CPU speeds and not the GPU...

hasn't that been established in previous threads?

progbuddy
04-14-2007, 01:31 PM
The thing I really don't like about the GTX is it's a power sucker. That card alone can use up to 150 watts. I like the GTS because its average power usage is about 100 watts.

I hear that the 8800GTS has heating issues though. But hey, an 8800GTS is about 200 bucks cheaper.

Silenced_Coyote
04-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure what constitues the word "heating issues." Whether that be overheating and crashing or just overheating beyone the "comfortable range."

I think the highest I've seen my 8800GTS (640MB) is 76C while playing Oblivion.

Though I wish the cooling solution for the 8800s were better. I would have liked to see them put more heatpipes, if it is possible.

progbuddy
04-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure what constitues the word "heating issues." Whether that be overheating and crashing or just overheating beyone the "comfortable range."

I think the highest I've seen my 8800GTS (640MB) is 76C while playing Oblivion.

Though I wish the cooling solution for the 8800s were better. I would have liked to see them put more heatpipes, if it is possible.

Yeah. 76C is way too hot. At about 80C, the GPU will shutdown to prevent damage to the core. I want an 8800 GTS, but I'm definitely gonna get an aftermarket cooler.

99e46
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
There is an aftermarket cooler for the 8800 series. Look on newegg!

VGA Cooler for 8800's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109136)

I ordered one and it's on its way but from the reviews it is doing it's job. Just that you will loose more expansion slots.

onelegout
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
When I play C&C3 for long periods of time my 8800GTX actualy heats up my room (Very small room!) and I have to open a window!

high octane
05-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Is a SINGLE GTS card worth getting? Or should I go for the single GTX? I was looking at only purchasing one, and cooling it with this (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5881/ex-blc-359/Danger_Den_8800GTS_Video_Card_Liquid_Cooling_Block _DD_-_8800_GTS.html?tl=g30c87).

99e46
05-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Is a SINGLE GTS card worth getting? Or should I go for the single GTX? I was looking at only purchasing one, and cooling it with this (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5881/ex-blc-359/Danger_Den_8800GTS_Video_Card_Liquid_Cooling_Block _DD_-_8800_GTS.html?tl=g30c87).

For that to work you need a water cooled system. As stated before if you are going with the GTX get the VGA cooler I posted above. It is working wonders for me with a nice fan mounted on top it cools it down really good! At load I am at about 56C, along with my other fans that help cool the whole case as well. You will need a well vented case to get anything nice and cool!!

Durrthock
05-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna get an 8800gts probably I really don't think heat is that big an issue. Most people that have issues with overheating are people who buy like a case and only have stock fans I have like 7 super quiet antec ones

high octane
05-15-2007, 09:41 AM
In building my computer, I plan on making it a liquid cooled system. My question still is, is a single GTX card better than the a single GTS?

99e46
05-15-2007, 12:07 PM
In building my computer, I plan on making it a liquid cooled system. My question still is, is a single GTX card better than the a single GTS?

If you are going liquid why not go all out for the GTX right? If you are not going to for liquid cool and just air cool then I would stick with the GTS. I am not a huge gamer I just like to buy stuff. The only game I play most is source or 1.6 in a while. I do not notice that much of a difference with my OC'd GTX and my friends 640mb GTS.

If you do decide to really go liquid go with the GTX, but your GTX will be crap with a crappy mobo and CPU!!! I would upgrade those too if you have not done so!!!!!!!!

high octane
05-16-2007, 02:08 PM
My goal is to build a decent gaming computer, that is liquid cooled. Any recomendations for a compatable MOBO or CPU for the GTX?

99e46
05-16-2007, 04:29 PM
My goal is to build a decent gaming computer, that is liquid cooled. Any recomendations for a compatable MOBO or CPU for the GTX?

For me, as I own one. I'd recommend the 680i chipset mobo's. they are great mobo's to OC anything you have. For CPU, I'd either get Intels quad core or wait for AMD's Barcelona. It is really up to you.

What is your budget? :think:

high octane
05-17-2007, 08:41 AM
>2k

dfigravity
05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
For me, as I own one. I'd recommend the 680i chipset mobo's. they are great mobo's to OC anything you have. For CPU, I'd either get Intels quad core or wait for AMD's Barcelona. It is really up to you.

What is your budget? :think:

I personally think any quad core is a total waste of money...how long have the dual core's been out and just now software is finally being released that actually utilize them. Buy a Quad core if your main goal in building your new computer is to say you have the latest and greatest (oh and spend your next four paychecks for a processor that you can't even fully use).

Anyway, I'd go with the Intel EX6800...I know a lot of guys on here use the 6600...not sure how much of a difference there is between the two, but you could try looking at the charts on tomshardware.com (http://www.tomshardware.com) and see hhow they stack up.

Outlaw
05-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I just built a system in Feb. under 2k at the time. All the prices have dropped quite a bit since then though.

Specs are:
EVGA 680i Motherbaord
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
C2D E6600
Mushkin Extreme DDR2-1066 (2x1GB)
1-WD160GB Sata 3G
2-WD250GB Sata 3G
Pioneer DVD/CD RW Combo Drive
Silverstone 850W Modular PSU.
Chenbro SR-10769BK 3FAN @ 5K RPM 113CFM

This was a total of $1846(US) at the time. You could change out the GTS for a GTX and probably still be under 2k. Also if you use different or less HD's, you save there too. Just my 2cents worth though.

99e46
05-17-2007, 04:10 PM
>2k

You can build a really good computer if your budget was right under $2K.

I got my setup for just about $1,600. I had to wait for Intel to drop their prices, so that saved me alot in the end. With liquid cooling you can OC the E6600 beyond 3.4ghz. I have mine at 3.4 right now with just air cooling and it's super stable!

All I have to say is go all out if you have the money so it saves you from having to upgrade in the near future. We all know that as the years pass by we will need to upgrade anyway, so upgrading wil always be there. :down: