PDA

View Full Version : Help with Air Conditioning Mod

bobloadmire
06-27-2005, 12:51 AM
I am bored now that i have a broken foot and a lot of free time. I had an idea for a PC air conditioner. I looked around, and this is all i found:http://www.waffer.biz/THERMAL/English/Pac400.htm

Junk. reviews say its loud, and it takes a minumum of 2 drives.

Here's where i need some experthelp.
I want to create and internal AC for my computer. Must be quiet, must cool nice, and must be sub $100.

anyone interedted in helping me, or anyone interested in joined me on a serch for theis DIY AC please let me know.

Also let me know if there is a better place to ask this.

Thanks.

Cymae
06-27-2005, 12:54 AM
well...if you say that there's junk, i dont know what else you can do. Unless you want ot build one yourself..which isnt the best idea...

bobloadmire
06-27-2005, 01:28 AM
well thats kinda the idea. make one.

Frakk
06-27-2005, 01:36 AM
do you want to use regular phase-change air conditioning or a peltier cooling like the waffer? if you are new to the concept, dont go any further because you will waste your money and its not gonna work. what I would recommend is, buy this cooler and mod it, not changing the circuits, only the heatsinks, fans and housing to fit where you want it to fit. Whisptech is selling his barely used one (only reviewed) for $60CAD which is a pretty good deal and you could get it done for less than $100. link: http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332

bobloadmire
06-27-2005, 01:46 AM
well i thought about it, but i think i would like a higher powered one. more cooling.
I was thinking about putting the hot end of the peltier on my steal case, and using the case as a HS. then blowing the fan across the cool end of the HS. and one got anymore ideas?

links to products is also apreciated.

If they can make the AirCon400 on a peltier, why can't I?

bobloadmire
06-27-2005, 01:04 PM
anyone else got any input?
or anywhere else i can go to get more help?

nil8
06-27-2005, 02:26 PM
No one is saying you can't do something. It's just not easy doing some of the things you're asking for.

To build a good peltier kit you need to be an incredibly precise machinist and metal worker, and those aren't exactly abundant.

You can do this mod, just don't expect it to be easy, cheap, or work out how you plan.

bobloadmire
06-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Ialso found this
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/parent.asp?product=228369x&dept%5Fid=10120&cm_ven=NexTag&cm_ite=10120&code=macs=NEXTAG

what do you think. It says it ahs a conesation catcher.

DickNervous
06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Honestly, if you are looking for something that is effecitve at cooling the system, go with water cooling. You are not going to be able to make a small enough AC unit that will cool your PC effectivly.

Now, if you are just going for the "Hey look, I got a freakin AC in my computer" effect, then I think the suggestion of modding the Waffer cooler is your best bet, unless you are an HVAC tech.

bobloadmire
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
i was thinking like this Roof of steel case> Thermal Grease>around 75 watt Peltier>Thermal Grease>Stock amd 64 HSF. Heat gets put into the case and release out side sience heat rises. Cold air drops right ouver CPU HSF. then blown out exhaust.

This looked perfect

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4660&item=7525501858&rd=1

has temperature controller too.

DickNervous
06-27-2005, 07:47 PM
A 75w peltier trying to cool the air in a case like that will have pretty much no impact. It *might* make the HS on the inside feel cool. But I really don't think it will have a noticaeable impact on the overall temps in the case.

Xato
06-28-2005, 03:05 AM
The problem is, Peltiers dont just cool, they heat... they have a stack of electricity running through them, and if you dont cool them effectively, they can start to melt themselves. And as seen there, the other problem is frost... when frost builds up on a peltier, when its turned off, that icey frost turns to water... which will then drip into you case... which aint too cool.

bobloadmire
06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
does this sound like i have the right idea?

Xato
06-28-2005, 11:25 PM
The only use for Peltier in a computer is to cool your CPU... But then you need to cool the peltier, and for that u need watercooling to get the heat away before it melts itself.
Peltiers dont cool, they use the movement of electricity to transfer heat to one side of the metal, out of the other. Essentially, you are actually heating the peltier by passing electricity though it... water cooling takes all the heat away to the radiatior however, so you get an all over cooling effect, by dissapating the heat into the air through the radiator. Its the same in fridges... feel the back of your fridge... it'll be warm.

Once again, using a peltier element in a case like that has no use.
Having a cool air feed over your Radiator will help however... as it will cool the water more than room air temp. Still, i honestly think there is no use.

Guttenaffe
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
You are aware that heating the case of your PC with the thermoelectric device will cause the air inside the case will be overall warmer. Pelts put out tons more heat than cold.

FYI: All AC units will put out more heat then cold, unless they are properly vented. If you run an Air Conditioner in the middle of the enclosed space the average temp of the space will greatly increase. Though there right in front of it might be a bit cooler but the back will be HOT HOT HOT!

nil8
07-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Why don't you try an external ac unit running with watercooling inside the case? It would be a lot more simple than what you're asking for.

If you used a mini fridge of some kind with air circulation inside of it with your rad, then your pc would be quite cold.

Frakk
07-01-2005, 11:15 PM
please dont forget anything below room temp will condensate and you will have water dripping from the colder parts. he wants to use peltiers on the case, which will not work and he doesnt want to spend money on a wc kit, neither on a fridge.