PDA

View Full Version : Projection On Glass :D

Canadian Eh?
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I was walking in the mall the other day and I passed by the aliant (telephone comp.) store. They have glass from floor to ceiling on the sides and they somehow project ads onto the glass.

I finally figured out how they do it! They have a projector on the ceiling inside the store and thay project onto a mirror and that image projects onto the glass! The coolest thing is is that the light from the image does not shine through the glass!

I thought this would be a cool idea for a HTPC or for a hideaway display. Just wanted to share this because I think it's pretty cool!

Redundant
04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
This is essentially the same way a HUD (heads up display) works on aircraft, there a small projector in the cockpit that shines on the glass.

If you are going to make this yourself, I don't think you need the mirror, that probably to make the projector more discreet in the store. I've seen a projector shining on the glass window in some purse store on the mall (no, I didn't walk inside the store...)

If you have a glass desk (frosted or clear), you can put a projector under it so you have a secondary screen.

EDIT: Speaking of projectors, the Mall at Millenia seems to be littered with them: 4 on either end of the mall, 8 in the center with tons of lights on the roof; they aren't used often but they sometimes start swiveling and spinning (the guys controlling them, no doubt.) My favorite thing there are the TWELVE LED screens in the center! (the things on the masts in this pic (http://www.acousti.com/images/gallery/KICX3099.jpg).)

Canadian Eh?
04-15-2007, 08:09 AM
(no, I didn't walk inside the store)

I walked inside the Aliant store, but it was because they had NHL 07 hooked up on an XBOX with booth seating and a widescreen TV...

That desk idea is very good, someone should incorporate that into a mod...

Eclecticos
04-16-2007, 03:46 AM
I always wanted to try that homemade projection tv:

http://images.tomshardware.com/2004/11/13/supersize_your_tv_for_/beamer_kino5_s.jpg

Now there is a REAL need for cooling on this thing!

beglobal
04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
it souds pretty cool!! and it is a good idea!! :p

chaksq
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
That idea with the desk sounds cool. I just got a glass desk for my new bedroom.

Canadian Eh?
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I just got a glass desk for my new bedroom.

Mod! Mod! Mod! I really want to see this done! You could also have a reg. monitor for dual screens. Now That would be a desk!:banana: