PDA

View Full Version : Ok, this idea is strange and wacky, but what the hell.

crenn
06-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Ok, my idea is to have a entire computer (using a nice 1.3GHz Mini-ITX mobo and touchscreen) consealed in the dashboard of a car. I want to have it so the 7" widescreen TV will "fold" out of what looks like a normal stereo(ok just picture this, you press and button and the face of the "stereo" folds down and a LCD monitor slides out and folds up for the user to use.) but the problem is. What electronics will I need to do this? Also is it posible to have it so that all the buttons on the fake stereo will work and the LCD too, and they work together with the omputer. And the last question, is it posible to use car speakers as the speakers for the computer?

Xato
06-28-2005, 02:45 AM
There are such LCD screens you speak of, i dont know whether the front will be able to function as a stereo or not though. You will need to use a graphics card for video output to the LCD.

It should be possible to use car stereo as you sound system for the computer, i think some stereo's have an audio input channel, which you could use.

crenn
06-28-2005, 04:04 AM
I don't think you quite understand, the computer is actually replacing the car stereo(when I get a car, of course). And Mini-ITX mobos already have graphics on them so that's no problem.The front of the widescreen TV can't function as a sound output device(in Pc mode) but that's no worry as I'll be wiring up the car so I can have 4 channel surround sound.

Xato
06-28-2005, 04:21 AM
The reason i said you may need a graphics card, is you'll most likely need S-Video or possibly RCA output... and i dont think you can get a straight adapter for this.

crenn
06-28-2005, 04:27 AM
Already on the Mini-ITX motherboard.

Xato
06-28-2005, 04:48 AM
Ah, all cool then. Do you already have the screen u will be using? (curiosity)

Frakk
06-28-2005, 11:12 AM
crenn you can use servos to move the lcd in and outbut you would have to control them which is not an easy task for a beginner. and when are you actually going to get a car? I dont know how much room they have in the dasboard, you will need a powersuppl of some kind, hard drive, optical drive, input devices plus the cables. it is not impossible, and I think the hardest part will be moving the lcd and the button functions.

DickNervous
06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
You might want to head over to GruntvillE and checkout what Bellerophon has done with his Dodge Magnum PC (http://www.gruntville.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13142) for some ideas.

crenn
06-30-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm not a beginner in electronics but I am a beginner in Modding, anyway, I'm not planning to get a car for a while for a couple of reasons.

1. I don't have the money to buy one
2. I don't own a car
3. I don't even have my drivers license yet....

I'm just trying to plan ahead, I'm looking at using a slot loading DVD player/writer so that I can totally hide the entire computer. It all depends on how much space is left in the dash. As for a hard drive, I'm looking at a nice 60GB 7200RPM Laptop HDD because it shouldn't be too affected by all those bumpy roads. The main input device is the LCD touchscreen. Power supply I think will be a nice 80W EPIA standard PSU, they go well with car PCs. Yes, that's my thoughts too and trying to get the eject button on the front of the panel to work with the actual drive.

As for the Dodge Magnum PC, I can't wait to see his face at the performance of the EPIA motherboard. I've also seen several car PCs including a couple from www.mini-itx.com (check out I.C.E.and BMW PC).

MAPolley07
07-30-2005, 11:31 AM
i am not an expert on this stuff, but I would use a tabletPC (the kind without a keyboard) or they make touchscreen computer systems for cars. Both are small. With a standard PC built in the glove box you will probably have cooling problems. You could route a pipe from the AC duct to the glove box and have it pump cold air on the system, but in the winter you would have to shut that off so as not to pump hot air on the system.

crenn
07-30-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm currently using a tablet PC and it totally sucks. Not enough power. And I want something that is able to have a good capacity HDD. I'm also toying with the idea of 2 TV Tuners(one Digital and the other Analog with built-in FM tuner) and then having a port extender with PCIMIA so I can use a wireless internet, then maybe even having a small wireless LAN in the car. This is only concept for now, but how cool would that be?

moddedfreakycanuck
07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I dont know if anyone has suggested this but www.mp3car.com is all that and more! Go and see for yourself! HTH

jestyyr
07-08-2006, 03:12 AM
not 100% sure but I think I have seen car head units like that before, face plate moves forward and down or up out of the way, whilst lcd slides out and up or down into place, whilst the actual units are obscenely expensive they are probably a good starting point for ideas on the faceplate/lcd movement.
with the dvd/cd drive being activated on the face plate, just about any defyant mod would probably be a good place to start, though I am not sure if even he has modded a slimline drive yet.
as for the buttons etc on the face plate, provided you can get/make the pcb/buttons small enough it should work.

you should sooo totally wire a one of those mice with the trackball onto the console somewhere :)

I hope at least some of that was coherent and remotely useful.

DaveW
07-08-2006, 03:40 AM
You could use microprocessors for this. A P-BASIC stamp sounds ideal, although i may be able to peice together a PIC at some point, although to be honest without being able to test it, it'll be nuts. I'd have to get it right first time...

-Dave

d_stilgar
07-08-2006, 03:45 AM
I think you would probably want something like this (http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XN+700IDT&Store_Code=GE).

It's a 7" LCD with VGA in and USB for the touchscreen. A little pricey but a search for "7" in dash LCD" might get you some different ones.

Cool1Net6
07-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Does the PC REALLY need to be in the dashboard? Why not move it to a more accessible location with room to add whatever (like the trunk, under the passenger seat, etc) and just run the video and input for the touch screen to the dashboard? That way your not cramming everything into a tight spot. Under the passenger seat usually has lower AC vents, so that may help in cooling the system.

Audio through the car speakers isnt difficult, even sans the reciever. Get a 4-channel amplifier with RCA inputs that can power all 4 speakers, and connect it to the PC using an RCA adapter. I suggest also putting some kind of physical volume control between the PC and amp, just to give you added flexibility; it doesnt need to be easily accessable, just there.

Since this is a car, to keep the drivers hands as free as possible, you need creative input devices. The touchscreen is great, and if you get it to work properly, you probably wont need a mouse or trackball/trackpad. If you wanted to go more hardcore you could mod one of those eraser-head looking track buttons you see on IBM/Lenovo's into a big, circular nob that when shifted around moves the mouse, and have when you press down on it it left-clicks. This will work similar to the BMW iDrive technology, and probably be just as complicated to make.

As for the keyboard, just go wireless Bluetooth, and get a small low-profile one, maybe something that can fit in the glove compartment. You could also "hide" different slots and perhiperals around the car, like a USB port in the center console or a cardreader in the headliner (roof) somewhere. You could potentially grab a set of relays and microcontrollers and have the PC control the power windows and locks and start the car and pop the trunk and control just about anything else electric, but now I am just getting outlandish with my ideas.

I hope my short brainstorming session helps you out.

-Cool-

crenn
07-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Since this was my thread, I'll point this out, this is one very dead topic... up until now. I've dropped this idea a while ago, but I did solve it a long time ago. Now because of the fact that Nano-ITX has been released, it's a lot easier and better than before.

Cool1Net6
07-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Somehow I missed the fact that the thread was a year old. moddedfreakycanuck brought it back from the dead. This brainstorming session may help other out however.

-Cool-