PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between bandsaw and scrollsaw?

yakyb
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=16176&MAN=Draper-190mm-Two-Wheel-Bandsaw-240v

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=139075&MAN=Sealey-Variable-Speed-Scroll-Saw-240v

Not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this but technically its hardware.

I was wondering if anyone could explain the differences, pros and cons of these two tools.

would i be right in saying the band saw would be better for cutting 2mm metal whilst the scrollsaw would be better for doing intrincate shapes in acrylic

AKA_RA
04-17-2007, 06:27 PM
band saws have a band blade, that spins in a circuit between two wheels, and the other just has a short blade. at least thats what i think the differance is

DaveW
04-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Tool Questions go into the workshop. ;)

I think you would be better off with the scrollsaw, unless you also want to do more heavy duty work with it.

-Dave

yakyb
04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
thanks for moving DaveW!
yeah i think i probably would be better off with a scroll saw for acrylic work in the short term but surely a bandsaw in combination with a coping saw would be more useful long term as i try to get more involved with metals etc

DaveW
04-17-2007, 07:12 PM
If you're working with thin aluminium the scroll saw should be ok. If you're taking it up a notch and working with steel then you might be better off with the bandsaw.

I don't have access to either, but if you wait around a while, someone who does will definately give you your input. I'm just relaying second hand information to be honest. :)

-Dave

Drac998
04-17-2007, 10:05 PM
A Bandsaw's function is to give you very straight clean cuts over a variety of materials.

A scrollsaw's function is to give you very intricate and detail oriented cuts, while a scroll saw can cut material staight or angled that is more of a secondary function.

as for pro's and con's you really can't compare them as they are two very diffrent tools.

tybrenis
04-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't expect to cut steel with either one very well, unless you got a variable speed one with a metal blade. For that you probably need a horizontal band saw.

I would go with the scroll saw. They do have comparable features, but a scroll saw will give you even more maneuverabilty.

moojoe
04-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Band saws aren't for straight cuts. thats what a table saw or a radial arm saw is for. the blade of the band saw, while not as small as a scroll saw, is still small enough to do some pretty curving cuts in your material.
scroll saw though is a lot better for modding work, since you can get some great fine detail. just don't expect to do a straight line.
band saws can do metal pretty easily, as long as you have the correct blade and saw. they make band saws for metal, but their in the $1000's of dollars. also, most metal saws are mounted horizontally, which is quite different from what I imagine most people on this board are used to.

Bucko
04-18-2007, 01:00 AM
That band saw you posted a link to will be very good for straight cuts with the guides that are on it. It can do minor curves as well, but not as tight as the scroll saw.

Dad is giving me his scroll saw as he doesn't use it any more, so I'm looking forward to going and picking it up.

His band saw is very useful. It can be used as a drop saw and do very clean and straight cuts on very thick metal stock. You just let the weight of the saw work through it.
Or you stand the dropping bit vertical and add on the table bit that came with it and it works like that band saw you posted.
It isn't the best quality at around $500, but it is very useful.

yakyb
04-18-2007, 04:14 AM
cheers guys scroll saw it is then!

onelegout
04-18-2007, 02:53 PM
All I have is a junior hack-saw!!!!! I went out and bought one when I needed to cut a drive bay out to fit the 8800GTX case, it worked fine :)
H