PDA

View Full Version : Do I need More Power?

06-28-2005, 11:13 AM
I just built a new system for my grandfather with a 350W PSU. Everything runs great until I plug in anything into the motherboard's rear I/O ports other than keyboard, mouse and analog video. If you plug anything else into the board the system will run for a few seconds and then all power will fail and the system shuts off but I still note that there is a light on the keyboard even after the sytem shuts off.

Im am running in the system:
> Chaintech 7NJL76 motherboard (view it: http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=277)
> WD 80Gb HDD
> 512Mb PC3200 (256 x 2)
> Aspire X-Plorer Case ( 2 80mm fans, Cold Cathodes, Front Panel temperature moitor)
> ATI 9200SE
> Athlon XP 3000+
> DVD R / DVD RW

Please let me know your thoughts. I have got to get this thing finished fast! If there are any web sites / tools available to configure all of these components and then submit it to get a recommended PSU result please let me know (i have heard of these I just cant find em)!

Thanks for the help!

Frakk
06-28-2005, 11:23 AM
you are fine with 350W if the psu is stable, meaning the voltages remain at their level. have u tried an other keyboard? I think there is a short circuit in the keyboard or the port on the mobo, and the psu shutting down the from overcurrent protection. try an other keyboard, if it still doesn't work I would say its the mobo.

06-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I have used several other keyboards, mice and monitors.

To let you know, this mobo only has a 20-pin ATX connector and not the extra 4-pin. (the PSU does have the 4 pin).

If its the mobo I think I will crap myself... I wanted this done a week ago....thanks for the help though!

Frakk
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
are you saying that the psu has the 24 pin connector? or it has 20+4 pin? if you plugged the 24pin into the 20pin connector it might be it. does everything work without the keyboard? did u try ps2 and usb keyboards as well?

06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
20 + 4

Ive tried 2 different ps2 keyboards and a ps2 mouse and one usb mouse.

Ive also plugged in a parallel scanner, a usb external HDD (with its own power supply. doesnt rely on usb for power), and audio

All human interface devices work flawless (mice, keyboards)
usb external drives cause power failure.
Parallel scanner causes failure.
Audio plug (1/8 inch standard headphone jack type) also causes failure after a few seconds of playing an mp3

Keep sending me help!
Thanks

Frakk
06-28-2005, 02:33 PM
thats strange. the mobo could be damaged or its drivers. then its not just the keyboard

07-03-2005, 12:50 PM
It cant be drivers because it started this weird behavior even before I put XP Pro on it, and AS I was putting XP Pro on it.

Thx