PDA

View Full Version : Self-Contained CPU Watercooling

Eclecticos
04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I noticed this on Dumb Terminal Mod.
Evercool Silver Knight.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/sharka-computers_1941_44620648
Finally water cooling without the problems that go along with it.

Great Price to $50.00
I guess I've been living in a cave somewhere, there seem to be several of these on the market now.
They got one called the Igloo to.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/Material/revimages/rev_forum/vizo_igloo.jpg
Kewl.

simon275
04-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah it seems from what TGS was saying that this thing actually gives some good temps. Alot of thedse units are rubbish. Normally one either gets a good air cooled sink or has to shell out for a full water cooling kit to get good temps. But I guess times have obviously changed.

Crimson Sky
04-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Nothing more than a water toy. Might as well have little plastic fish bubbling around in it as it plays the theme song to Shark's Tale. No respectable modder would put this crap in their case. :p Disconnect that water pump and I bet the temps rise no more than a few degrees F.

Silenced_Coyote
04-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Nothing more than a water toy. Might as well have little plastic fish bubbling around in it as it plays the theme song to Shark's Tale. No respectable modder would put this crap in their case. :p Disconnect that water pump and I bet the temps rise no more than a few degrees F.

The theme song stopped playing after I owned it for a little over a month. Well, after reading your comment, I quickly disconnected the water pump. My temps actually went down! But my PC doesn't start up anymore. Could it be because I have water all over my parts now or is it because the fish don't have any water to swim in? :p

By the way, I saw this little "all-in-one" unit and I thought that the method was interesting. It's the Sunon Waturbo.
http://www.sunonusa.com/images/waturbo/image006.jpg

But personally, I go with high-end stuff. Either the best air cooler or the best water setup.

Crimson Sky
04-21-2007, 07:50 AM
did the fan stay on after you disconnected the pump??? Yikes I didnt think someone would actually try my idea. My thoughts are that there is such little volume of water, that the single fan can't possibly cool it fast enough. :D

progbuddy
04-21-2007, 10:47 AM
did the fan stay on after you disconnected the pump??? Yikes I didnt think someone would actually try my idea. My thoughts are that there is such little volume of water, that the single fan can't possibly cool it fast enough. :D

It's not true watercooling, but something along those lines would work better than just a regular old heatsink. Water transfers heat 27 times faster than air. It doesn't matter how much water, just that you keep it cool enough to keep transferring heat from the CPU.

Also, that Sunon waterblock is a great idea. The only thing is, it would work better if the mobo was laying on a flat surface all the time. It uses heat differences to create motion in the water. Then, the hot water rises, and the cool water settles to the bottom. The hot water is therefore cooled by the heatsink, and is put back through the cycle again.

Silenced_Coyote
04-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Looking at the picture, it doesn't seem like it uses heat differences only. Looks like the motor of the fan also controls the impeller in the pump, which circulates the water.

By the way, is it enough to say that water transfers heat 27 times faster than air? Water still has to disperse the heat to the fins of a radiator or heatsink (in the case of these all-in-one water coolers). I'm not sure about this, but isn't is more accurate to say that water holds more heat? Like how the ocean's temperature doesn't drastically change like the temperature over land? Something to do with how it takes more energy to heat up a given amount of water 1 C than it does for air?

Maybe this is why I failed my science classes...