PDA

View Full Version : How to setup a router

PiGMaN
04-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone i want to setup a second comp in the house to have acess to the net so out goes the d-link adsl modem an in comes a router, is a BILLION Bipac 5102.
i phoned my service provider and they were no help they said to phone the manufacturer,But the manufacturer number is interstate an i have a STD block on my phone i got stung bye an expensive bill my 4 year old made once..
So has anyone got a simple step bye step how to setup one of these things, Its detectn the adsl signal but when i open up the web brouser nothn happns....?

SgtM
04-22-2007, 05:10 AM
First thing you'll need to do is call your ISP and find out what your PPPoE
username and password is. You'll also need to know your VPI and VCI settings. I don't know about Austrailia, but most ISP's in the US use 8/35. Then, open a browser, and type in 192.168.1.254 (make sure your NIC is setup for DHCP). Login to the modem/router with the default username (admin) and password (admin). After that, it should be as simple as using the wizard to get it all setup. You might consider changing the password after you get everything going. If you need more help, let me know.

http://60.248.77.180/_Internet/qsg/BIPAC5102_S__G_QSG_01112005_EN.pdf

SgtM
04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey pigman, did you get this setup?

Zephik
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
I dont want to hijack this thread or anything, but I got a quick question concerning my router and it fits this threads purpose perfectly! "How to setup a router"

okay, so I used to have a linksys, which I knew how to get into. Just type in the IP address and then enter admin for the password. But now I have a new router as I am at a new place. Its a Westell. I got the IP address, but how do I find out what the username and password are?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/MitaPi/Ddum.jpg

Hope you don't mind for the quick thread hijack PiGMaN!

Luke122
04-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I hesitate to answer this, because this information can be misused.

ANYWAYS... try the usual stuff.. admin, user, router brand, etc (try leaving the password blank also)

If all else fails, then doing a reset on the router is an option also. Confirm with your documentation if you can. :D

nil8
04-22-2007, 11:59 PM
What model westell modem Snow?

The best idea is to get the user's guide. They normally have the default username and password in them.

simon275
04-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Yeah just do a google search for the router + default user name and password.

SgtM
04-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I hesitate to answer this, because this information can be misused.

ANYWAYS... try the usual stuff.. admin, user, router brand, etc (try leaving the password blank also)

If all else fails, then doing a reset on the router is an option also. Confirm with your documentation if you can. :D

I'll second that. If that fails, google the router brand/model, and it should dig up the information for you.

PiGMaN
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok here is whats going on so far.
i have 2 comps and i am tryn to replace my d-link adsl modem with a router which has 4 ports so they can both have adsl..
My service provider is no help cuz its not a router that they supply but they said its compatible and they told me to phone the manufacturer for support and the phone call is an interstate call.
ive tried to follow the user manual's wizard setup but when i open the web brouser to type in http://192.168.1.254 a box comes up sayn that my local area connection is limited or nothing at all and i cant reach the site .
How do i fix this............?

Outlaw
05-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Don't know if this has been resolved or not but... if it's anything like my setup(i use cable though). You still have to use the modem. It is what your ISP looks at, they enter the MAC of the unit into their database to say you get their service. If you were able to hook up anything, why would we pay for their service? The modem should have two ports on it, In and out. The in should go to your ISP, the out to the router, from the router you connect your pc's. You shouldn't even need to connect into it unless you were configuring it. They are usually plug and play unless you computer is setup static.

Something like this:
ISP--Modem--Router--PC's