PDA

View Full Version : Case Materials?

Razor Blade
06-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey guys. Local Mod n00b here :p

I'm planning on building a mini itx system with a totally custom case :) Now i've built computers before and have been doing research on the computer hardware side of things and I have it all figured out ... for that part.

What I want to do is build a custom case, but very cheaply and would like to know what materials are best for a beginner with no advanced tools or extreme funds. Just really doing this for a hobby, not a full time position or anything.

I have idea for pvc piping for the edges and bondo to join them and give a nice smooth finish. Basically what i'm going for is something generally the size of a gaming console (a little bigger) that will be used for gaming and as a HTPC ;) I want something modern, sleek and with a piano black finish *drool*

Eh, back to the question though, what materials would you recomend for the construction of the case? Something easy to cut, not too expensive, light and definately not conductive XD

Another thing to ask is, is there any spray that you can spray onto a material to make it stronger? Like a lacquer or something that dries very stiff and can be painted over? To generally add strength to materials?

Thanks for the help. All is appreciated. I searched the forums as well and could't really find any solid answers.

Malatory
06-28-2005, 07:46 PM
You can use anything really. From Acrylic to steel.

Acrylic/plexiglass easy to cut with a jig saw and since your going to paint it. You can slowly paint the inside for a quick mirror finish. Area's that make it hard to work with is the chipping and breaking from bending it. Plus connecting the edges together.

Quick paint job on some plexiglass
Red marks are on where I am trying to get a better cut on the template
http://www.bodybydk.com/nwntemp.gif

Xato
06-28-2005, 11:07 PM
That is an Eye right, malatory?

And onto the question, i'd recommend some plexi or some form of plastic sheet... Plastic is lightweight and quite strong depending on the type. Assembly would probly be done by screwing/bolting etc(whatever works best for you) the sheets onto it... If this is a first time mod, i'd suggest getting the motherboard tray from another (probably old) case to attach to the inside of your case... you might need a drive cage too.
As far as painting goes, you can get a nice finish on almost any surface if you sand, coat and paint it right.

Zeus
06-28-2005, 11:18 PM
it's the eye on neverwinter nights

Xato
06-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Thats the one! I knew i recognised it from somewhere.

Malatory
06-28-2005, 11:40 PM
it's the eye on neverwinter nights

Yup that is right .. still working on getting the Eye the way I want it. Once done it will be used on a case window.

Razor Blade
06-29-2005, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Ya, i'm thinking of buying a cheap case off ebay along with some laptop parts for a drivecage and base ;) I'm thinking plexiglass sounds pretty good right now, with bondo for some detail work and then a coat of spray clay, then a few coats of primer and tons of coats of some high gloss auto paint ... mmm. :p

Thanks for the help again. I'm sure i'll have a few more questions in the future, but for now I think I can get ready for conceptual work on my case.

Expect to see a worklog in the near future :)

Xato
06-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Awesome, just make sure you dedicate yourself to completeing the mod! :D

Razor Blade
06-29-2005, 02:56 PM
This is definately something im gonna wanna finish.

Oh one more question, Im deciding weather to use Pico BTX or Mini ITX. I want the smallest one with enough features. Mini ATX seems to have many depending on which one you get (im thinking Pentium M with one Ram slot and a PCI-E slot) but Pico BTX will be out at the end of the summer, but I havent been able to find solid specs on what the dimensions are If Anyone can help there, that would be great!

Malatory
06-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Since mini ITX is out and has a lot of good features known. I would say go that way. But do most of the work before hand to the specs of the board your thinking of buying. Then if a Pico BTX moard comes out and fits what your doing and you can still switch.

also if you plan to paint the out side of the case. you can look at Styrene plastics, 1/8" or 1/4" would be what you want to use, anything less would not hold up in most cases.