PDA

View Full Version : Steam problems

andymushu
04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
So earlier today I decided i wanted to play some dod:s, so i did the logical thing and click on the steam icon on my startup menu. last i checked, this opens the program. apparently steam decided to disobey this simple law of computing and wouldn't open. i tried opening it from the desktop, command prompt, and the start menu. thats not all, it gets worse. after this i decided to go onto steam's website and log on to the forums for some help. i tried to sign in, but i couldn't remember my password. so i click on the "forgot your password" button and it took me to a screen to put in my email i registered with. i did, and then i get hit with yet another problem. "we do not recognise that email address, please check that you entered it correctly and try again". what the heck? does anyone have any ideas on this dilemma? I don't even care about the forums probelm, i just wanna play some games!

d_stilgar
04-22-2007, 04:47 PM
well, did you try opening it from steam?

Eclecticos
04-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Restart your computer. If you need to uninstall steam and reinstall.
I had to do that once.

andymushu
04-22-2007, 06:06 PM
stilgar, i can't open the steam program at all. i was trying to open dod:s from within the steam program. eck, i already restarted my computer multiple times, but i didn't try to uninstall steam. im gonna go do that. thanks for the advice

update:i uninstalled steam and tried to reinstall it, but when i try to install it it says that it is already running on this computer, even though it isn't even installed.

update:i tried to manually uninstall steam because even though it said it was uninstalled, apparently none of the files were gone. i tried to delete two different folders and it said it "could not delete because it didn't have the source file or disk". then all of a sudden it opens every single file on my computer into windows explorer. computer goes kaput. after 7 restarts today, i am starting to think more and mor this is a virus. so i run ad-aware, 21 critical objects, including a pesky little think called casalemedia(horrible program, rebuilds itself multiple times, had it on another computer). i think i am done working on this thing for today.

update:i guess i wasn't done working on it. it kept bugging me so i reinstalled steam and it won't open. at this point im ready to shove something sharp into my motherboard. this computer has caused me enough grief for a lifetime (probably cuz its a dell...).