PDA

View Full Version : How does the Wiis online friend system work?

ChevronX
04-23-2007, 12:15 AM
How does the Wiis online friend system work?

Im having trouble trying to understand. I added Jenn Cutters wii code (From OpenAlpha.tv) into my address book. Does she get a message stating someone has added it? and if she wants to accept?

Also what can you do with it.

DaveW
04-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Who knows dude. It's one of the many things about the wii that I haven't figured out.

The Wii and the 360 are at opposite ends of the spectrum with their OS.

360 Interface:
Bright, Flashy, Colorful, cluttered with adds. A sort of 'standard template' system. You get a reasonable amount of feedback, and can see all your options at once depending on where you are: you don't 'open menus' in order to see additional options.

Wii Interface
Minimalist, dynamically structured, but unclear; Your options at each point are clear, but seeing how they all relate, and figuring out where something is, is not an easy task. All options are not immediately obvious, and the OS makes poor use of the Wii's systems. Some things wind me up; for example, the Wii message board is practically hidden. Should this be a channel? If not, and it's an integral part of the Wii system, why is it hidden with such a tiny button? It's almost like the developers didn't really expect you to use it, which is why is has the same sized button as the settings. Pretty stupid design choice there. The Wii software has a lot of GUI issues, that actually make it harder for many people to use, and disguise it's true power.

Example of poor Wii choices:
1) You cannot quit if the Wii jams trying to access the Shop Channel. On top of this, it actually disables the Power and Reset buttons on the console, meaning you have to unplug it from the wall. Great design there guys.
2) Controller Registration: I must be one of the few suckers that splashed out on a second controller. It took me nearly 30 minutes to get it to work. Each controller has to be registered with the console in a tricky routine that involves pressing those damnable red buttons. This is supposed to allow you to download your Mii into the controller and take it to your friends house. Once there, you have to do a 'temp registration'.

Rant over.

If you figure it out, let me know, i'll add you to my menu! :)

-Dave

Rankenphile
04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
She won't receive a message - you have to basically let her know you have added her, then she has to add your code, then you wait until something happens before you're all set.

Once you are set, you can exchange messages and Miis and... well, that's about it so far. Eventually you'll be able to play games online together, but since Nintendo is keeping online functionality exclusive to their games, and none of their games have it yet, you don't get to enjoy any of the virtual console games together.

*shrug*

Let's not turn this into another console bashing thread. We've got an entire video gaming forum for that sort of thing.

d_stilgar
04-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Example of poor Wii choices:
. . .
2) Controller Registration: I must be one of the few suckers that splashed out on a second controller. It took me nearly 30 minutes to get it to work. Each controller has to be registered with the console in a tricky routine that involves pressing those damnable red buttons. This is supposed to allow you to download your Mii into the controller and take it to your friends house. Once there, you have to do a 'temp registration'.

Rant over.

-Dave

Registering has more to do with the fact that you can have many wiis running at the same time in one room. I agree that it can be tricky. Each time I go to do it I have to look at the manual. I'm pretty sure that you push the button on the console first, then press the button on the controller (once) and wait. It should connect and you are done. Things are so easy when you read the instructions.

DaveW
04-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Let's not turn this into another console bashing thread. We've got an entire video gaming forum for that sort of thing.

Hey, i got a 360 and a Wii downstairs. All i've said are simple truths in interface design, like never leave someone without an option. :)

-Dave

Airbozo
04-23-2007, 03:21 PM
360 Interface:
Bright, Flashy, Colorful, cluttered with adds. A sort of 'standard template' system. You get a reasonable amount of feedback, and can see all your options at once depending on where you are: you don't 'open menus' in order to see additional options.

Wait, Let me get this straight. You pay for the online service AND it has ad's?
WTF?!

ChevronX
04-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks alot for your input

Just have to wait and see what Nintendo brings out I surpose

Spawn-Inc
04-23-2007, 03:39 PM

Rant over.

-Dave

well i'm not sure what you talking about but all i had to do for my second controller was press the a button. but now that a think a little more i did have to press both buttonsm (red ones) to get it to work first, but it wasn't hard at all. i think the way i did it was press the console button first and then press the controller one and it recognized it.

progbuddy
04-23-2007, 03:41 PM
The Wii is confusing period.

I like the 360's menu, but not as many features as the PS3 or the Wii.

The PS3 has a nice interface, but who the heck in their right mind would pay 600 bucks for a gaming console?

Bucko
04-23-2007, 03:53 PM
but who the heck in their right mind would pay 600 bucks for a gaming console?

I paid $800 for my PS1 when it first came out...

DaveW
04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
The PS3 has a nice interface, but who the heck in their right mind would pay 600 bucks for a gaming console?

If you'd said that 4 months ago, i would have said Sony fanboys. Turns out i was wrong-even they aren't that gullible. ;) :p

Ok. I admit it. That was a console bash. I promise not to do it again. :D

-Dave

DaveW
04-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok, i want in on this stuff. My Wii's number is:

6599 2207 8708 8896

Feel free to add me, let me know your number and i'll add you to mine. Then together, we can figure out what the hell it's actually for.

-Dave

Redundant
04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Wait, Let me get this straight. You pay for the online service AND it has ad's?
WTF?!
That must have been misspelled, from what I've seen, there are no advertisements on the 360...I've seen pictures in it for upcoming games (http://www.engadget.com/photos/xbox-360-spring-2007-dashboard-update/) but not internet ads.

DaveW
04-23-2007, 05:21 PM
There's adds in the 360's interface...unless my Brother has aquired the only 360 with Adware.

Things like game demos, new 360 products, etc. It's all 'internal' or 'self' advertising.

-Dave

Spawn-Inc
04-24-2007, 03:06 AM
here is my wii number

2563 - 9898 - 5989 - 6951

ChevronX
04-24-2007, 03:38 AM
My Wii is no longer connected to the network; so it would be a waste of time to give my number out at the moment.

DaveW
04-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Hey Spawn, i've added you but i can't seem to send you messeges or anything...

-Dave

Spawn-Inc
04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
well i just added you but your greyed out for some reason.

progbuddy
04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
There's adds in the 360's interface...unless my Brother has aquired the only 360 with Adware.

Things like game demos, new 360 products, etc. It's all 'internal' or 'self' advertising.

-Dave

There is? Never noticed any ads in the interface before... Might be your area. There are MANY (and i mean many) Xbox live servers around the world. Things like downloading lists are fetched from the servers, and are not directly incorporated into the 360 firmware.

xRyokenx
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
I've had a Wii since launch day... but I haven't used it since like Christmas... not enough games out, and I don't have the money to buy them for $50... that's too freakin' expensive for my liking.

DaveW
04-24-2007, 07:20 PM
well i just added you but your greyed out for some reason.

Exactly the same at my end, WTF? Wish this damn thing came with proper instructions.

-Dave

DaveW
04-24-2007, 07:25 PM
The "Wii Number" is an identifier unique to each Wii system which operates in a similar manner to the Friend code. The "Address book" in the system's "Message board" feature displays the system's "Wii Number", and allows other users' Wii numbers to be registered.[3] Mutual exchange of Wii numbers allows messages, cell phone text messages, photos, and Miis to be sent between the Wiis in question over the WiiConnect24 service.[4] In addition, the Wii can send and receive e-mails between potentially any e-mail client by sending a request e-mail that contains a link that, when clicked, activates future two-way communication. The e-mail address for all Wii consoles is w################@wii.com, where # represents a digit in the Wii number.

Pulled this from Wikipedia but i haven't a damn clue what i means.

One up for Microsoft, methinks.

-Dave

Spawn-Inc
04-24-2007, 08:03 PM
well i'm on my wii and i just sent a message to you. your name is no longer grey, it's black. i also tried to email myself with that############@wii.com thing but i haven't got a message on my wii yet.

DaveW
04-25-2007, 07:51 AM
I got it! Hooray! I also relplied.

Your little Mii is walking about in my Mii Parade now.

-Dave