PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Wireless Troubles

Zephik
04-23-2007, 12:49 AM
My dad is using an HP Pavilion zv5000 with 2003 Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1. We are trying to get it to connect to our Westell 327W router, but we can only send packets, not receive. Any idea's why?? We can connect to the router... but no internet is available. Also, when we go into the wireless network connection status in the toolbar tray we noticed that there is no "View Wireless Network" like there is on... every other computer I've ever been on. I guess thats a Service pack 1 thing? idk. any idea's?

simon275
04-23-2007, 07:20 AM
What integrated chipsey do you have? Also it might need some wireless drivers. So check on the HP website also check on the cards website. You might have to go out a buy like a cheapo PCIMA WIfi card as the old Wifi card might be broken or just plain not compilable as some network cards are.

Luke122
04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
If you are only sending not recieving, then that is your laptop attempting to connect, and not getting a reply.

A few things to try:

1. Turn the wireless on the laptop off, then back on.

2. Uninstall the wireless adaptor completly and reboot. Windows will reinstall it on startup, and may start working.

3. Find a new driver for the wireless adaptor.

4. Can any other computers connect to your wireless router? Test this, it could be that the laptop is not the problem here.

Zephik
04-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Yep, I'm connected to it right now and the computer that I WAS using before it died was using this router too.

We tried exiting out of the wireless and disabling it, then turning it back on. But no luck.

My dad is going to call our ISP or something, so if they can't figure it out I'll be back.

nil8
04-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Are the two machines successfully using the router connected via wireless or wired?

Zephik
04-23-2007, 05:11 PM
We got it all figured out. We called verizon and they like... hacked my dads computer or something. Basically, we watched the mouse move around without us touching anything. lol

btw, how did they do that?

nil8
04-23-2007, 07:18 PM
It's called remote management software.
Some are web-based, like WebEx.
Some are protocol based, like RDP or MS SMS.
Some are programs that are running locally, like VNC.
There's also back end and front end methods, but I won't go into it.

All of them do the same thing, take control of your screen.

There was no hacking. He got your IP and remoted in. From what your dad or you told him, and what the tech noticed about your setup, he figured out your problem.
This is a daily occurrence in IT. It's how servers are managed and software problems get fixed.

Zephik
04-23-2007, 07:50 PM
lol I want to learn it. I could really screw with my brother lol

nil8
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
It's not hard. One of the easier programs is VNC.

simon275
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
This a some good free VNC software that I use to manage my home network. Basically on the target computer you set up a VNC server which you can set to run in the background and start on startup. Then on your PC you use the client to take control of the PC.

http://www.realvnc.com/

OvRiDe
04-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Here is a tool that is very useful in VNC deployment in an IT world. FASTPUSH (http://www.darkage.co.uk/), it can come in real handy!!

SgtM
04-24-2007, 05:32 AM
VNC is great. Check it out. Another fun one is VMware. Imagine a computer running inside a computer. Uh-huh.. check it out:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7034

Zephik
04-26-2007, 01:50 PM
For the past couple days, that is, since Verizon was ****ing around on my router trying to get my dads laptop online. My internet keeps going in and out. What I mean is, I get disconnected from the internet periodically, maybe every 10-20 minutes. But I never get disconnected from the router?

If I'm browsing the web, sometimes it will stop loading and give me the Server not found error. or if I'm playing a game online, I will get disconnected.

Anyone know that the problem could be? My friend said it might be my firewall.

nil8
04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I doubt it. If your firewall was doing it, it should be constant. Firewalls aren't often flaky enough to be timed down unless they have some hardware issue, normally related to buffer problems.

Honestly Snow, the best idea is to call Verizon and tell them what's going on.
Is it happening on all the machines in the house or just the one you play games on?

Zephik
04-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Yea, I'll have to call verizon I guess. Damn I hate being on hold for 3 hours and being transfered to a different department at least 13 times. lol by the time I am to the person that I need to be talking to, I forget what I was calling about in the first place! *smack forehead*

If I were to push that lil tiny factory reset button on the back of my router.... what would happen? I was thinking about doing that so I could actually access my router cuz someone changed the password and forgot it.

If I can get into the router I might be able to fix it. Sure I could just call verizon, but wheres the fun in that? Its much more satisfying to fix something yourself than to have someone do it for you. ^_^

nil8
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Is it your router or did Verizon install it for you?

If you really want to learn something about networks, I'd be willing to help you get everything figured out via chat or phone. Shoot me a pm. I'll be available this weekend. The weather is going to be sucktackular and I have a little cold, so I'm not going to be doing much.

Zephik
04-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Thats a good question actually. I wasn't around here at the time it was installed.

I'll have to play detective and find out.

"Okay, so I should go talk this guy? gotchya, ttyl."

"Okay, so I need to go back to the first guy? Can do."

"What? Who's big fat mike?"

"Hello? Big fat mike? What? No I dont owe you money! WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOW I DO? "

F Dat. Maybe I'll just tough it out for awhile. lol

simon275
04-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Thats a good question actually. I wasn't around here at the time it was installed.

I'll have to play detective and find out.

"Okay, so I should go talk this guy? gotchya, ttyl."

"Okay, so I need to go back to the first guy? Can do."

"What? Who's big fat mike?"

"Hello? Big fat mike? What? No I dont owe you money! WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOW I DO? "

F Dat. Maybe I'll just tough it out for awhile. lol

Maybe consider changing ISP?

Zephik
04-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe consider changing ISP?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/MitaPi/Damn.jpg

Yea, it has taken me over 72 hours to download WoW and BC. Hmmm, I think its about time to either call my ISP or push that lil factory reset button on the back of my router. lol

SgtM
04-30-2007, 04:15 AM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/MitaPi/Damn.jpg

Yea, it has taken me over 72 hours to download WoW and BC. Hmmm, I think its about time to either call my ISP or push that lil factory reset button on the back of my router. lol

Before you do either of those, let's find out where the problem is exactly. Although the router reset isn't a bad idea since it will let you set your own password, I don't think that's the problem. When your internet goes out, look at the lights on your DSL modem. If the DSL (or internet, or connection) light is blinking or off, then the problem is with Verizon, and you'll need to talk to them. When you talk to them, tell them that your internet has been bouncing. They'll be able to run some tests on that side of the network. I used to install this stuff, so if you have any other troubles, let me know. This was my working weekend.. sorry I didn't get here sooner.

Zephik
04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Whoop, forgot to post it.

Problem fixed. I called verizon yesterday and they did something to fix it.

Thanks for the help guys! ^_^