PDA

View Full Version : First Solo

Sakker
04-25-2007, 06:29 PM
So, I don't know if any of you are pilots, or know any pilots, but I'm going to college to become a professional pilot. It's my second semester of my freshman year. Earlier today I did my first solo in a plane. I did three take offs and landings with my instructor, he got out and let me fly. I did three take offs and full stop landings myself, and then parked N686DW. I have a test tomorrow and another solo in a couple of lessons. Should have my private pilots license by mid summer. I already have something like 25 hours, and 56 landings or so.

Commando
04-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Congrats Sakker,

I'm planning on getting my pilot's license one of these days. I plan on either transferring into the aviation program or once I get out of the military. I'll use my GI bill for it if I need to.

Having been in the skydiving community in college, and currently being a Joint Tactical Air Controller. I know how much of a challenge it is to get your ratings in the aviation world. That's a big step.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Aero
04-25-2007, 08:14 PM
congrats Sakker. Where do you goto school? I'm not going to be a pilot, but I will be designing the planes. Next year I'm going to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for Aerospace Engineering, but they have more pilots than any other majors, so I'm sure I'll have tons of friends going through what you are:p. Anyway congrats on the solo, and good luck with getting your private pilots liscense.

Sakker
04-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Daniel Webster College, one of the best flight schools in the country. I have a couple of friends at riddle, and I believe DWC to have the better flight practicum (even tho riddle is ranked #1 (I believe thats due to the sheer number of students)). It's a fun major, tho extremely hard.

Aero
04-26-2007, 06:20 PM
yeah, really, once you get into the upper echelon of school like that, its hard to say one is better than the other. You learn most the same stuff, it just depends on which state you want to do it in. And how much you want to pay, which is one of the reasons I'm not doing flight at riddle (another $10000 per year), but their engineering department is amazing [thank god for scholarships though]. So once I finish there maybe I will just get my liscence through a local school.

Just wondering, do you ever take pictures while in the plane? I can't wait to get my camera up in a plane...gonna be some sweet shots up their.

Sakker
04-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Ya Riddle does have an amazing engineering program, no doubt there. My friend that goes there is double majoring, aeronautical engineering, and flight ops. The difference in weather is a major consideration though. I have always lived in New Hampshire, and DWC is located in Nashua, NH, so it was perfect for me. Honestly the only thing I wish I did prior was get my license before entering college. This first year is costing me a fortune, but then again the entire program at DWC will most likely put me about $150,000 in debt (with 14k from the school and other scholarships). Flight colleges are really expensive, but gotta do what you love so.

Technically per the Colleges Flight Operations Manual (FoM) I don't think I'm allowed to take pictures while soloing, but I have a couple anyway, everyone does. I will try and post them later.

Sakker
04-26-2007, 07:53 PM
First final for runway 32 at KASH
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w136/Satvaren/Picture013.jpg
Second Final for runway 32 at KASH
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w136/Satvaren/Picture007.jpg
Left Downwind for 32 at KASH again.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w136/Satvaren/Picture009.jpg

Aero
04-26-2007, 11:06 PM
nice shots, looks like good flyin weather. and yeah. Aviation based colleges are hella expensive. Riddle is setting me back about $150,000 too. Its $32,000 per year, but I've got about $12,000 in scholarships, so it should be about $20,000 per year, not too bad. If I were doing flight it would be about $44,000 per year...a bit over my price range:redface: