PDA

View Full Version : PSU Shell Removal

Silent1
06-29-2005, 09:28 AM
In my latest project I can't fit the full shell of the PSU in the case. Can I just remove the innards and screw them into the case without risk of electrocution? lol. :?

Frakk
06-29-2005, 09:44 AM
if you are careful. however if you short something out on the psu, prepare for some nice fireworks and an emergency call to the fire department :D you wouldnt gain too much space by removing it since they are pretty much packed.

Silent1
06-29-2005, 09:56 AM
oh boy.... how would one short out a PSU? I've already removed it from the shell... havn't fiddled with any wires or anything it just about makes clearance. If I don't play with anything and just screw it in should I be fine? basically without the shell its a little less wide which allows it to fit nicely in the case... would I be better off dremeling off the side thats to long and leaving it in essentially half a shell?

Frakk
06-29-2005, 10:02 AM
you short it out by touching 2 connections, pins, wires or anything that conducts electricity to ure case or other metal parts. if you make sure nothing touches the case and ure not moving it around you should be fine, but there is still a chance. maybe if you taped some cardboards on the case..

Kano
06-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I tried something similar to that with an old 200W PSU. I ended up zapping myself and destroying it. I was just trying to see if it could be done. My conclusion: Leave the box on, always.

public_eyesore
06-29-2005, 05:26 PM
yea those capasitors can stay charged for a long time

Silent1
06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
hmmm, after a long day of hardwork on my dvd player conversion to a PC, after mounting the motherboard I no longer even have space for the bare board of that ATX PSU. But I have a microATX PSU that in it's shell fits in the case... :D

BUT....
It's only 145watts, and I don't think that'll run:
MSI K7N2G-L - Built in graphics, video, network, the works
1400+ T-bird
20GB 5400 RPM 2MB HD
Cd-rom drive

public_eyesore
06-30-2005, 04:43 PM
hmmm, after a long day of hardwork on my dvd player conversion to a PC, after mounting the motherboard I no longer even have space for the bare board of that ATX PSU. But I have a microATX PSU that in it's shell fits in the case... :D

BUT....
It's only 145watts, and I don't think that'll run:
MSI K7N2G-L - Built in graphics, video, network, the works
1400+ T-bird
20GB 5400 RPM 2MB HD
Cd-rom drive

i think it would, my brother ran a 1 ghz celeron 512 memory and a 5200 on a 150