PDA

View Full Version : Smilies

jonopaul01
03-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Okay, I know that I am probably gonna get flamed for this one but here goes.
When you are writing threads and posts there is a list of smilies on the right of your writing. While I personally don't like smilies (I think that that the majority of them look un-proffesional(although there are certain situations where a smilie speaks a thousand words)) I understand that most of the community loves the humble smilie. I would never ask you to get rid of smilies, I merely ask that you remove the animated smilies that are immediately visible on the right. I find that these are very distracting when you are trying to type up a post. It would be better if you only had static smilies on the right and the animated ones in the extra menu.

I will not ask you to change anything yet, at least not until there is at least some other people in the community who agree with me. If however you think that that is an awful idea then say so, if you agree with me then again say so.

Chapel
03-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Personally i love the smilies. While being slightly unprofessional, this isnt a business forum or anything like that.
Thats my 2 cents... Smilies are great (espicall the jaw dropping one)

FX
03-23-2005, 05:15 PM
You are able to change the view WYSIWYG in your profile to place the smilies in a drop-down box rather than on the page when replying. You might want to look into that first.

mashie
03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
What??

:bsflag: :asshole: :smilie_co :bluegrab: :hitit: :banana2: :fantastis :eek2: :smilie_sp

Matthew
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I find that these are very distracting when you are trying to type up a post.

Some one has ADD? (I joke because I love) <3

Bum
03-24-2005, 12:01 AM
If the profile change Scarab suggested doesn't work for you, maybe a strategically placed Post-It note saying "Don't look under here" would help. :-) [<--old school]

jonopaul01
03-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the tip. Both the post it one and the good one. And before people get upset, I am not saying that smilies are bad or that we should get rid of them, I am just saying they are distracting. However as I can turn them off in my settings for my posting, I will do that. Thanks all

Gordy
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm with jono , they are a distraction and distort the page, maybe we can have a page of normal smilies and if people want to see the strange smilies by clicking on a link. Its done this way on other vbb boards :)

I noticed that vbb code is turned off in signatures any chance that can be turned on? :)
Thanks

Crimson Sky
03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
we're working on getting simple ones installed---have to find just the right ones but we are on it :banana2:

Gordy
03-24-2005, 01:09 PM
cool nice one :)

Crimson Sky
03-24-2005, 01:57 PM
:Scared: :Crazy: :Angry: :right: :yingyang: :Love: :Frown: :recycle: :Confused: :Laugh: :Evil: :radioacti :there: :impressed :Smile: :KnockedOu :Chillin: :question:

test?

Crimson Sky
03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
:Smile: :impressed :Dumb: :Blank: :Sick: :Dollar: :HeadPhone :BigGrin: :Shock: :Oops: :poop2:

Matthew
03-24-2005, 04:20 PM
:hijack:

Frakk
03-25-2005, 09:33 PM
I noticed that they dont work for : ) and : P and : D. I'm hoping that these keywords are reserved for the "simple" smileys. I dont mind these smiley's some of them kick a$$, some of them just distract me, what I really miss is the keywords and some simple *smile* and *stick out tongue* ones with the keywords :) :hitit: <-- my fav

jonopaul01
04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Wow. I didn't realize everyone cared about these things so much. since I have got back from holiday (that is why I have been so quiet the last week) I have noticed that the moving smilies have disappeared. Is this because people agreed with me or a problem with them. I would like to point out that at no point did I ask for them to be completely removed only the ones on the side. But I have to say that it is far easier to concentrate now without all the moving smilies on the right. Any way thanks for all those who gave their opinions.

mashie
04-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Wow. I didn't realize everyone cared about these things so much. since I have got back from holiday (that is why I have been so quiet the last week) I have noticed that the moving smilies have disappeared. Is this because people agreed with me or a problem with them. I would like to point out that at no point did I ask for them to be completely removed only the ones on the side. But I have to say that it is far easier to concentrate now without all the moving smilies on the right. Any way thanks for all those who gave their opinions.
See, now you ruined it for everyone :p

Frakk
04-01-2005, 03:07 PM
haha. i would like to see more smileys. thos moving ones were good, and now that we have these simple ones i miss them. they are nice every once in a while:)

jonopaul01
04-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Sorry about that Mashie. I agree they are nice once in a while but people tend to binge them into their posts. But I suppose it is a moot point. Bit of an old post now. But at least there are no annoying animated smileys on the right now. :)

MrSlacker
04-30-2005, 12:44 PM
hey i want cool smilies!!!! these simple ones are so boring :rolleyes: :p :p ;)

mashie
04-30-2005, 05:35 PM
hey i want cool smilies!!!! these simple ones are so boring :rolleyes: :p :p ;)
Nah, they are just fine http://forums.mashie.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Frakk
06-25-2005, 05:11 PM
are u guys gonna put some more smileys in? I think we should have some more for better expressing ourselves :?

MrSlacker
06-25-2005, 05:23 PM
we demand more smilies!

Rachel
06-26-2005, 12:47 AM
I would never ask you to get rid of smilies, I merely ask that you remove the animated smilies that are immediately visible on the right. I find that these are very distracting when you are trying to type up a post. It would be better if you only had static smilies on the right and the animated ones in the extra menu.

Huh, none of mine are animated. I only have 8 different ones to choose from too. :?

Frakk
06-26-2005, 12:52 AM
those smileys were before the beginning of time :D

Xbrid
06-26-2005, 02:32 AM
we demand more smilies!
seconded

temmink
06-26-2005, 02:47 AM
are u guys gonna put some more smileys in? I think we should have some more for better expressing ourselves :?

The human race has spent millenia developing forms of expression, culminating in modern language, specifically the spoken and written word. So, thousands of years of human endeavour aren't good enough for you? Hey HEY HEY???!!

:p

Zeus
06-26-2005, 06:38 PM
The human race has spent millenia developing forms of expression, culminating in modern language, specifically the spoken and written word. So, thousands of years of human endeavour aren't good enough for you?

NO!! We want more smilies.

I only have 11 smilies to choose from and I haven't seen any animated ones on this forum as long as I have been here. I don't even see the option to turn them on or off. I went through all the options. WHAT GIVES??!!??!!??

Xbrid
06-26-2005, 10:34 PM
We Want More Smilies!!!!!!!!!

Xato
06-27-2005, 03:30 AM
A smile is just a frown upside down, you know.

Xbrid
06-27-2005, 05:14 AM
isn't it the other way round?