PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Upgrading?

Zephik
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Is it even possible to upgrade a laptops hardware?

I just finished downloading WoW and BC and it's telling me my processor isn't good enough. The game seems to play fine, but it got me thinking about upgrading it because it does seem a bit slow when it comes to multitasking.

Under the system properties it says I am running 512MB RAM with a Pentium M Processor at 1.60GHz. I know right off the back that the RAM sucks, but what about that processor? What would that be compared to a PC? Like a P4 2.8?

I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 btw.

So what all can I upgrade? mobo, ram, gpu, cpu? Any of it or is it all just built into the laptops motherboard?

Dang, I feel like how my mom feels when she gets near a computer. lol It says press the any key, where is the any key!?

><

Omega
04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
RAM can be upgraded, HD can be too, CPU, maybe. Depends on the CPU and motherboard.

Zephik
04-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Okay, well I would like to upgrade the RAM and the CPU, everything else seems to be fine. I would like to do the GPU... but I'm guess thats not in the realm of possibilities yet.

Does anyone know what my upgrade options are for the CPU and RAM? I could probably figure it out, but hey, I'm watching Penn and Teller: Bull****! right now and I don't want to. lol

chaksq
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Some high end laptops have upgradable GPUs. Mostly gaming machines such as the alienwares. Unlikely a dell would, if it did you would know it. The machines that do tend to advertise it, loudly.

nil8
04-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Is it the immigration episode? I love that show.

Anyway, here's the link to the service manual.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9200/sm/index.htm

I couldn't find anything on the ranges of acceptable products, just more of the same.

The service manual should be what you need to know for actually removing the parts. Try calling Dell and seeing if they will email you a list of acceptable processors & memory.

It looks like your video is integrated.
Just because you're using default DDR2 SODIMM doesn't mean it sucks.
See if you can get your timings/CL. Recently, Dell laptops have gone with either crucial or Kingston for their nicer home and business models. You could have really good ram.

MaxOC
04-29-2007, 01:50 AM
lol whats sad is that the first time that ppopped up in bios, i was like 6, i took 5 minutes looking for the any key

DaveW
04-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Mostly gaming machines such as the alienwares. Unlikely a dell would, if it did you would know it. The machines that do tend to advertise it, loudly.

Dell own alienware now.

I've upgraded the RAM in my laptop. The CPU is upgradeable but you have to bear in mind that the HSF is not. This means that the new CPU you put in there may produce too much heat for your HSF to move. So you'll need to be very careful with this.

The HDD is upgradeable depending on the type of laptop we're talking about. As was mentioned, some manufacturers allow you to upgrade your GPU.

Being honest, laptops are not expensive right now. If it can't cut the mustard, consider ebaying it and buying a new one. You might find it won't cost you any more than buying new parts, and you'll get a whole lot more than just a performance boost.

-Dave

Zephik
04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, never thought of doing that.

How much do you guys think I could get for this laptop? Its in pretty good condition. on a scale of one to ten where 10 is brand new, I would say its an 8 or better.

DaveW
04-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Only way to find out is to look it up on Ebay, chances are someone else is selling the same model. Watch for how much that one goes for, then evaluate your situation.

-Dave

Zephik
04-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Looks like the average price is around $400 Dollars. I can maybe throw in a $100 dollars which brings my grand total to $500 Dollars. *only $100 because I didn't think about OTHER thing that I need. lol oops.

lol am I really supposed to buy a better laptop with $500 Dollars?

...I wonder if upgrading the RAM will help.