PDA

View Full Version : Military Radio

dfigravity
04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Thought someone might find this interesting (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280108088014&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting)...there's 4 hours left on the auction

Greco101
05-10-2007, 04:36 AM
This reminded me of some CB-ish device my dad got a hold of... you can pick up coast guard, subs, etc world wide. There were a million different knobs and all that jazz, and i believe it also needed a phone line type of connection + other stuff to run.

him and his buddy got it to pick up a few signals and later decided to have an old CB tweaker (my dad and buddy were truck drivers) named Frog to fix it but he died some how.

Later they took it to another CB place (except not as underground) and they refused to even talk about it.

I forgot it at my old house when we moved :down: I don't even remember what it was called. :down: :down:

dfigravity
05-10-2007, 07:06 AM
This reminded me of some CB-ish device my dad got a hold of... you can pick up coast guard, subs, etc world wide. There were a million different knobs and all that jazz, and i believe it also needed a phone line type of connection + other stuff to run.

him and his buddy got it to pick up a few signals and later decided to have an old CB tweaker (my dad and buddy were truck drivers) named Frog to fix it but he died some how.

Later they took it to another CB place (except not as underground) and they refused to even talk about it.

I forgot it at my old house when we moved :down: I don't even remember what it was called. :down: :down:

Thats a little scary...but cool as hell :twisted: I'm a Ground radio maint. tech...I LOVE RADIOS. Just had to profess my love here...:)

Airbozo
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
One of those pictures show a real history lesson on bundling cables. This was before zip ties and the preferred method of bundling cables was to use wax coated flat string to "weave" the wires together. You not only had to be an electronics tech, but you also had to have some "macramé" skills. I have done my share of cable weaving too. I still even have half a roll of the flat wax string in my shed...

Great find and glad to hear about someone into radios! I have and old "portable" tube radio that still works... If I can find the picture I will post it...

THANKS!

dfigravity
05-10-2007, 01:45 PM
radios are my life :) I spend most of my time working on PRC-113 UHF/VHF and the URC-119 HF radios. I just got into a new special tactics comm. unit...I guess they get to play with the PRC-117's, and other cool new fangled technology.

Greco101
05-10-2007, 04:37 PM
http://www.oldradios.co.nz/gallery/anchors/HALLICRAFTERS%20S20R.html

Greco101
05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
I looked through about a hundred, then checked out the list and saw "national"

I looked at a couple and saw the familiar logo! a few minutes later i found the one we had, but i still really dont know what it was...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/BlackS3ven/NATIONALNC-88.jpg

dfigravity
05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
http://www.oldradios.co.nz/gallery/anchors/HALLICRAFTERS%20S20R.html

Thats fantastic!! Man...I would LOVE to get my hands on that thing so I could mod it...:D Seriously though...I'd have serious inner conflicts over tearing something like that apart...I guess it would all depend on how much it would take to restore it. Nice link though!

agnat
05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Dfigravity - you must be a dirt rat!!! That's what I was my first 10 years in the AF and I loved it. Is the PRC-113 the half-quick radio? If it is, I'm pretty sure I had some training on it.

Take care,
Agnat

dfigravity
05-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Dfigravity - you must be a dirt rat!!! That's what I was my first 10 years in the AF and I loved it. Is the PRC-113 the half-quick radio? If it is, I'm pretty sure I had some training on it.

Take care,
Agnat

HAHA! Good call...ground radio all the way baby! Yea, the 113 is HAVEQUICK capable....thats a good radio right there. I'm heading off to a Joint unit at Ft Bragg here in about 2 weeks where I'll get to use the newer PRC-117's and 119's...we still use the old URC-119 PACER BOUNCE HF system...300lbs of pain in the ass. It's always good to meet a fellow dirt rat! Take care man!