PDA

View Full Version : Some WaterJet Cut Goodies

Crimson Sky
03-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Chris from Custom Water Cuts (http://www.customwatercuts.com) did an amazing job rendering the CAD drawing and cutting the aluminum for an upcoming project of mine, and I thought I'd share some pics of his craftwork. These cuts arrived today!

Project Mojo

This is cut from 1/4" material. The "Goldberg" style projector reel is 12" in diameter, and the top part with the Avid logo is 15" long.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/gen_images/avid_mojo-(1).jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/gen_images/avid_mojo-(5).jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/gen_images/avid_mojo-(6).jpg

Chapel
03-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Wow thats really cool, how do they charge for something like that. Is it by the space cut or, size. Also how much is an average cut. That movie reel is badass i must say.

Matthew
03-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Agreed...that is sweet. :eek2:

shadowminja202
03-23-2005, 08:46 PM
wow that awsome that freakin sweet tell chris excellent job on it just 1 question how is the projecture wheel connected to the avid logo or is it not?

Crimson Sky
03-23-2005, 09:14 PM
wow that awsome that freakin sweet tell chris excellent job on it just 1 question how is the projecture wheel connected to the avid logo or is it not?

Hehehe..Chris is actually a member here but prolly too busy lately!..but I'll let him know. The projector reel is not connected, I might actually make it spin on the side of the case. The idea is to model the case after an old film projector--complete with flickering light, gears and bits of 35mm film ;)

shadowminja202
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
nice that will look awsome can't wait for that to be complete

Matthew
03-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Hehehe..Chris is actually a member here but prolly too busy lately!..but I'll let him know. The projector reel is not connected, I might actually make it spin on the side of the case. The idea is to model the case after an old film projector--complete with flickering light, gears and bits of 35mm film ;)

Now that sounds just sick...can't wait to see it.

Nobleone
03-23-2005, 11:32 PM
It all starts with an idea and the balls to say Yes, I can do this. We both know that power. If you can SEE it you can achieve it. I see it. Can't wait. Im glad we decided to go with the best editing system and not some cheap, oops I mean inexpensive one. You are the best!

Bum
03-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Water jets are such a nice option for metal cutting. The cut is smooth and crisp without a sharp edge and you don't have to worry about heat distortion from the cutting. Looks like a soon-to-be worklog is coming in the near future.

Gordy
03-24-2005, 05:12 AM
Wow!

I was looking at a quarter of a million pounds of laser cutter in action the other day and that is a sight to behold!

03-24-2005, 09:54 PM
CNC machine?

I know how to use 1 ! :):)

Seven
03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Woah....

A DIY projector from Crimson? I think I might be interested...I will have a monitor laying around...

CJ-CWC
03-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Wow thats really cool, how do they charge for something like that. Is it by the space cut or, size. Also how much is an average cut. That movie reel is badass i must say.

Thanks, all it takes is time and money :)

Cost is evaluated for each cut and is calculated automatically by the waterjet upon loading the necessary CAD work; distance the waterjet travels, water used, abrasive used, thickness of material, type of material, etc... are all evaluated automatically and quote is generated.

The typical custom design ranges in price but it is safe to assume you are going to spend $65.00+ for custom work.

I am however devising a realistic way to standardize costs of cutting so that the quote process can be simplified.

CJ-CWC
03-27-2005, 04:42 AM

Thank you all for the kind words, Crimson showed me the post a couple days ago but it is just today that I have had the opportunity to send thanks.

I can’t wait to see this project progress. Let me know Crimson if you need anything more for it!:)

Frakk
03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
For the first time I thought your into mountain biking. That thing looks like a diskbreak. and just for coincidence, Avid makes one of the best diskbreaks on the market and I was 99% sure it will be a mountainbike project. Unfortunately I was wrong :( anyhow.. Im always looking forward to see any finished project :)

webcruiser8
08-12-2005, 03:54 AM
This is really incredible. I just wonder how thick the water jet machine can cut?
I heard rumor say it cuts 6" stainless steel, anybody can confirm that?

Also the second picture towards the lower part, the edge seems a little
bit rough. Could somebody comment on that? Thanks a lot.

IWM (http://www.iwmwaterjet.com)

Aero
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Thats nice. How heavy is that bad boy?

slytherock
11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey Paul, I saw this thread in the gallery; how does this project turned out? I really like the logo :)

AMD_TaT3rs
11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
that link doesnt work. the cuts look sick i want to do something like that.

jdbnsn
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Keep in mind that this is a very old thread.

AMD_TaT3rs
11-26-2007, 03:57 PM
oh i didnt know that. so are they no longer doing business?

slytherock
11-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Keep in mind that this is a very old thread.

yeah, sorry: my bad, I knew it was an old one but didn't anyone ;)

livemott
09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, it is just like works processed by our machines, the kerf turn our to be not smooth as the speed is adjusted too higher. Keep a stuitable speed, it would be better.