PDA

View Full Version : what are these?

blk03MitsuES
05-02-2007, 11:07 PM
all these are discs, bullets are what the disc say...

Management
compaq insight manager
insight management agents
compaq survey utility
compaq systems management tookit
compaq integration technotes
documentation

Oracle 7 for Windows NT 3.1
oracle7 server release 7.2 for windows nt
oracle7 workgroup server release 7.2 for windows nt

microsoft internet information server

MS internet information server 1.0c for windows nt server 3.51
windows nt service pack 3

OS/2 warp and lan server software Disc 1

IBM OS/2 2.11
IBM OS/2 for SMP
IBM OS/2 Warp
IBM OS/2 warp with win-OS/2
IBM Lan Server 4.0
TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2 - Base Kit

OS/2 Warp connect software Disc 2
IBM OS/2 warp connect
IBM OS/2 warp connect with win-OS/2

OS/2 Warp Server Software Disc 3

IBM OS/2 warp server 4.0
IBM OS/2 warp server advanced 4.0

Oracle7 for SCO openServer
oracle7 server release 7.2 for sco openserver

Oracle7 for Netware
oracle7 server release 7.2 for netware
oracle7 workgroup server release 7.2 for netware

Netscape Fastreack server for windows nt
Netscape FastTrack server 2.0 for Windows NT

SCO openserver 5
Host System release
enterprise sytem
advanced file and print server
doctor lite
arcserve/open lite
development system
wabi server
merge server
virtual disk manager

Cheyenne
ARCserve 6 for windows nt
raid option
image option
changer option
database agent for MS echange server

MS windows NT Disc 1
MS windows NT server 3.51
ARCserve 2.01 for windows NT

MS windows NT disc 2
MS windows NT 3.51 supporting software

SCO unixware disc 1

aplication
news
smp processor upgrade
online data manager
software development kit
server merge

SCO unixware 2.1 disc 2
sco unixware documentation

sounds like networking/server stuff. i never actually seen win nt, that any different than win 95/98s/2k/me? do you think i can use nt for an everyday websurfing/mp3 pc?

SgtM
05-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Those are all server OS's/apps. Oracle is a databse program. You could use NT if you want. I don't know if I would.. actually, I wouldn't. Esp if you already have XP/Vista. Win2000 was built on NT technology. Microsoft Doesn't support it anymore, so I'm not sure about getting service packs/patches at this point.

blk03MitsuES
05-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Those are all server OS's/apps. Oracle is a databse program. You could use NT if you want. I don't know if I would.. actually, I wouldn't. Esp if you already have XP/Vista. Win2000 was built on NT technology. Microsoft Doesn't support it anymore, so I'm not sure about getting service packs/patches at this point.

i kinda imagined MS didnt support it but i wanna use it mainly to install on rigs to test out hardware and see if everything works, like in the via c3 and p3 old pc's with win 98 installed. . . even if i find my xp install cd, i dont think i can keep installing it as i need to authenticate it every time.

SgtM
05-03-2007, 01:55 AM
i kinda imagined MS didnt support it but i wanna use it mainly to install on rigs to test out hardware and see if everything works, like in the via c3 and p3 old pc's with win 98 installed. . . even if i find my xp install cd, i dont think i can keep installing it as i need to authenticate it every time.

Well, you can but you can't. As long as you only have the OS on 1 PC, then it's no big deal. You will probably have to call M$ to get it activated, but it's an easy process. Just remember, it's only on 1 PC. I'm not sure NT would be a good bench either. Some of the newer stuff probably wouldn't play well with it. The oldest I would go, would be Win2000.

.Maleficus.
05-03-2007, 06:21 AM
If you just need an OS for web and music stuff, the one you're going to hear most about is Ubuntu. It's easy to use, free, and if you don't want, you'll probably never have to use the command line. For pre-installed apps., check out Ubuntu Ultimate Edition (http://ubuntusoftware.info/ultimate/). Has pretty much everything you'll ever need.

blk03MitsuES
05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
to SGTM

i was trying to say i would use NT on the old PC's i normally get my hands on, one right now has win98 the other one has ME, both are old old hardware. old enought to play well with NT

.Maleficus.

thats linux right? how well do you think it will get along with the old hardware?

Airbozo
05-03-2007, 02:25 PM
linux gets along really well with old hardware. Most of the time that is what is used anyway.

The SCO software is just a high end version of UNIX that would also work well with an old system. I would probably not use it due to the fact you may need to do some kernel updating to make everything work properly. I _think_ sco unixware is the newer version, openserver (we used to nickname it opensewer) is an older release.
I would refuse to use SCO software purely on principal. SCO is the company that is causing all the ruckus in the linux community by suing companies building linux distros, claiming copyright on many of the linux internals. They used to be the best UNIX company out there. They started loosing money and resorted to lawsuits to try and stay out of bankruptcy instead of making a better product, people would actually pay for. SCO = Santa Cruz Operations (used to be about 15 minutes from my house.) I am pretty sure that Novell owns SCO now. (and the UNIX trademark name)

I would stay away from using NT to test systems, since it probably does not have all the driver support you would need. If you want something to just do testing and validation, use Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/).

I'm _guessing_ that all the CD's have a compaq logo on them? If so, they may not even boot on a non-compaq system (compaq used to do that sort of thing)

blk03MitsuES
05-03-2007, 05:45 PM
linux gets along really well with old hardware. Most of the time that is what is used anyway.

The SCO software is just a high end version of UNIX that would also work well with an old system. I would probably not use it due to the fact you may need to do some kernel updating to make everything work properly. I _think_ sco unixware is the newer version, openserver (we used to nickname it opensewer) is an older release.
I would refuse to use SCO software purely on principal. SCO is the company that is causing all the ruckus in the linux community by suing companies building linux distros, claiming copyright on many of the linux internals. They used to be the best UNIX company out there. They started loosing money and resorted to lawsuits to try and stay out of bankruptcy instead of making a better product, people would actually pay for. SCO = Santa Cruz Operations (used to be about 15 minutes from my house.) I am pretty sure that Novell owns SCO now. (and the UNIX trademark name)

I would stay away from using NT to test systems, since it probably does not have all the driver support you would need. If you want something to just do testing and validation, use Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/).

I'm _guessing_ that all the CD's have a compaq logo on them? If so, they may not even boot on a non-compaq system (compaq used to do that sort of thing)

yup it's got compaq no wonder why it loaded up on my compaq laptop.... linux folks seem nice and said Xubuntu would work better on low ram machines. just in case i download Ubuntu Ultimate 1.2, 1.3, Ubuntu 6, and Xubuntu 7. just to see which cup of tea is more to my likeing