PDA

View Full Version : IBM says chips run faster with holes

Ironcat
05-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Computer chips, it seems, work better if they’re more like Swiss cheese than American cheese.

Chips with minuscule holes in them can run faster or use less energy, IBM Corp. said in announcing Thursday a novel way to create them — potentially one of the most significant advances in chip manufacturing in years.
To create these tiny holes, the computer company has harnessed a plastic-like material that spontaneously forms into a sieve-like structure. The holes have a width of 20 nanometers, or billionths of a meter, placing the method in the much-vaunted field of nanotechnology.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time anyone has used nanoscale self-assembled materials to build things that machines aren’t capable of doing,” said John Kelly, IBM’s vice president of development.
Kelly said molecules in the material fall into a defined pattern similar to how snowflakes form into symmetrical six-sided shapes.
IBM said the technology could be added to existing manufacturing lines and applied to current chips, boosting performance by 35 percent or cutting power consumption by the same percentage.
It expects to start using the technique in 2009, first on chips used in IBM’s servers and later to chips it makes for other companies, including possibly the Cell processor used in Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3.
“It’s a tremendous breakthrough,” said Richard Doherty, research director at Envisioneering Group, an analysis firm. “It’s likely to save energy and increase chip speeds more than any other single advance in the last few years.”
The holes alleviate a problem that has loomed for the semiconductor industry: As chips have shrunk in size, boosting their speed and efficiency, they’ve increasingly become susceptible to electricity leaking between their closely spaced wires through the intervening insulator, usually glass.
The most advanced chip technology in large-scale commercial use, which uses circuits 65 nanometers apart, loses almost half of its power to leakage, Doherty said. The leakage not only wastes power but also slows down the processor.
Ideally, the glass would be replaced with vacuum, a better insulator, but removing the glass away in the right places hasn’t been possible with current techniques. If the glass was simply etched away, the resulting “ditches” running along the wires would simply be filled in by the next layer of insulating glass applied, according to IBM Fellow Dan Edelstein, chief scientist on the project.
IBM’s polymer technique sidesteps that problem. First, the self-assembling material is applied on top of the glass, forming the tiny holes. The chip is then exposed to a gas that seeps through the material as if it were a stencil, etching away the underlying glass to form small holes in the top surface, and larger, continuous gaps between the wires.
Another layer of glass is applied in a vacuum chamber. Because the holes in the topmost existing glass layer are small, the newly applied layer of glass doesn’t seep into the underlying cavities. Instead, it seals them off, with a vacuum inside.
The technique was invented at IBM’s Almaden Research Center in San Jose, Calif., and the T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown, N.Y. It was adapted for commercial use by the University at Albany and IBM’s Semiconductor Research and Development Center in East Fishkill, N.Y.

Ichbin
05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
omg...so the internet IS A SERIES OF TUBES! :eek:

everyone knows though if you add holes to anything it makes it go faster :P

Bucko
05-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Speed holes!

DaJe
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Speed holes!

I ****ing love you.

Ichbin
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Next thing you know theyll be added flames to it cause "It makes it look fast"

d_stilgar
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
everyone knows though if you add holes to anything it makes it go faster :P

I took your advice and put a bunch of holes in my boat today. It went a lot slower, and then sank into the Columbia river. The dive and rescue team had to get it out. I'm holding you responsible. Expect to get served in the next few days.

j/k. (If you didn't already know)

Omega
05-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Holes make Robots faster.

We call it "Cheese-holing". Our team cheese holed our plexiglass hopper and we wanted to paint it yellow (like cheese!)

xRyokenx
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Speed Holes!

OMG that episode was freakin' hilarious... Homer with a pickaxe putting holes in the hood of his car, lol... and the other scenes too... good one man.

DaJe
05-04-2007, 12:26 AM
I just saw a Tylenol commercial. The pill has holes in it so it'll work faster.

xRyokenx
05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
I just saw a Tylenol commercial. The pill has holes in it so it'll work faster.

Wow... what's next, you will think faster if your head has holes in it? I think that's already been tried years ago, all it does is weaken your antivirus/illness "software" and maybe your "firewall" too so... not really that effective... :D

Mitternacht
05-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow... what's next, you will think faster if your head has holes in it?

Bud Dwyer tried that back in 1986. Failed horribly. Atleast there's coins to commemorate his efforts:
http://www.wdmusic.com/images_products/pot_dress_washer_gold_bag_s25439.jpg

XcOM
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow... what's next, you will think faster if your head has holes in it? I think that's already been tried years ago, all it does is weaken your antivirus/illness "software" and maybe your "firewall" too so... not really that effective... :D

I noticed yesterday that if your going to install Vista on yourself you have better have all the drivers,

Else:
1: you can only see in 8bit @ 300x200
2: Your blader can crash and empty itself without warning
3: you get LAG all the time while trying to walk.

I had to format and re-instsal my bro yesterday with XP Pro

XcOM

xRyokenx
05-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Well, I'm not gonna be upgrading to Vista for a while... I am gonna be getting a new SATA HDD soon, and will burn the stuff I wanna keep to DVD and then do a clean install of Windows, my current HDD sucks canned air (like that makes sense, lol), or in other words, it's dyin' on me, I think... it's either that or the RAM... what would be the cause of my PC to take about five times longer to load up Windows (XP)?