PDA

View Full Version : Quick sketch up question.

luciusad2004
05-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Quick sketch up question guys. When you guys are modeling cases do you just build a solid mass and somehow hollow it out later or do you build each side of the case as a separate part and then put them together?
Thanks for the help.

-Lucius

MaxOC
05-03-2007, 08:22 PM
just use the line draw and draw the bottom to specs then add lines upward for the height and viola a empty box, if you need delete one of the sides so you can work inside or move the side away then work on the side and inside

luciusad2004
05-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Alright, thanks. I was using the push/pull tool and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make stuff hollow on the inside. I went through the built in tutorials a while ago but it didn't really show how to hollow stuff... i remember making that little house it walks you through. At the end of one lesson its solid then the next lesson pops up and its hollow and i was just sitting there like "Hey why didn't it teach me how to make it like that" lol. Maybe when i get some free time ill go through some of those online tutorials that everyone is linking to. I'm assuming that since they are so often linked to, people here have found them helpful?

.Maleficus.
05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
I make a rectangle, pull it to the height, and it already is hollow. If you need to get inside it, just zoom into it. If you need to make like a window, there are glass materials that you can use to see inside it.

Eclecticos
05-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I downloaded it wouldn't run on vista. I have autocad but the time it takes to do a drawing on there. . I could already have a mod underway.

rendermandan
05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
I downloaded it wouldn't run on vista. I have autocad but the time it takes to do a drawing on there. . I could already have a mod underway.

What are you talking about. Autocad is so easy! I use Architectural Desktop and work, and can pretty much model anything.

Eclecticos
05-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Well I took a course in CAD and always dreaded the little projects. Now, I preddy much hate it. I'm preddy good at it, but Inless I come up with something revolutionary or invent the new toiletpaper I'll never use it . I have a digitizer. collecting dust. . Its just so damned boring.

The sketchup looked preddy cool to bad it won't install. I Like Graphics not Schematics.

Spacehonkey
05-06-2007, 09:19 AM
...do you just build a solid mass and somehow hollow it out later or do you build each side of the case as a separate part and then put them together?

With my experience with 3D modeling programs you can get from point A to C in a few different ways. You don't always have to go A-B-C, just like using the push/pull or line draw tools to make a box. I would just us whatever way works best for you. I've used both ways but I've found that the push/pull does speed up the process for making simple shapes. Also another little tip that I do often is use the hide feature. If you need to build something inside another object just group the main object then go into edit group, select the side you want out of your way for now and hide it then close the group and the there you go now you have a clear view/access inside the main object without erasing the panel. Just remember 3D programs are designs to get you to the end result but in many different ways.:D