PDA

View Full Version : Msi?

Matthew
03-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Ok, I have heard some people talking about MSI and I want to know what makes them so good. I have always been told Asus Asus Asus. What makes them better than Brand B? I personaly love Asus...great products and great support. Lets see if yall can change my mind.

Chapel
03-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Ultimatly its people prefrence. I am an asus fan, i bought one a few years back it worked great i bought another, they have never failed me. MSI is the same for others, plus its a little cheeper. Ill prolly use Asus untill it fails me then ill try another brand.

brokeashell
03-23-2005, 10:37 PM
They're cheaper becuase they use parts from china... or so I'm told. MSI got themselfs into a big mess over using cheaper parts on the boards...thats all I know.

Matthew
03-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah...well I hadent planned on using any other than Asus. I just wanted to know what other options are out there, and MSI seems to be the next best thing.

voltov
03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
i have an msi and it works great for me and as it was stated it is the persons choice.. so bassically its up to you and how you feel :)

Wetworks
03-24-2005, 01:22 PM
I was (and still am) a fan of MSI. Recently, however, I find myself using Chaintech more and more in my builds. Granted, they are a "second tier" MB company, but when it comes to AMD builds, I feel they offer the best bang for the buck, esp. with nVidia chipset boards. Just my $0.02.

CJ-CWC
03-27-2005, 07:22 PM
To be honest there is always a chance on getting a bum mobo it does not matter the manufacturer.

I always used ABIT, one day I had a problem then I moved to Asus and most recently (Read my Problem with ASUS Motherboard Thread) and well I switched back to ABIT to give them another chance..... Some boards are good others bad it is a flip of the coin well and where it is made and yes type of components.

Best bet if you are looking for a new brand board is decide on the company as you did (MSI) then decide on a specific model then visit the forums and ask around get opinions from others that already own and use the specific motherboard.

MrSlacker
04-03-2005, 01:23 PM
i have MSI Neo4 and its pretty nice. from what i see, Asus is always the 1st one to come out with a new board. For example, Asus had the 1st SLI motherboard.

Whisp
04-03-2005, 06:29 PM
I like MSI for their video cards. Also i am not a big overclocker so they work fine. For the msi Motherboards i have 2 right now and they both work well. I was actually suurprised by the perfomance of my new one which is the rs480 wit the ATI chipset on it. Plus there red muhahahah.

Other brands I like is Asus and Gigabyte along with some of teh dfi boards for stabilty.

Not a big fan of abit and a couple othert manufactures.

colossusx
04-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Ive used mostly MSI boards in my builds (for myself and others). Quality wise, they're right up there with the others. I had an ABIT for my overclocked XP-M, but the chipset cooler died (very common problem on NF7-S boards) and in my haste to remove said cooler, scratched about a dozen traces on the mobo. From what i have read, most of the component problems with MSI have been cheap caps, but Abit and quite a few others were hit with the same problem. Now it seems that most "name" mobo manufacturers have switched to Japanese caps.

fishies
04-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I've neve used an MSI board, but have heard from both sides. CJ-CWC is right. A bum mobo can happen with any manufacturer. That's what warranties are for.

I've been an asus fan since 1999. Before that, ABIT. For my next machine, I'm going with a Supermicro board, only because they offer the most choices for a dual CPU config. I have yet to chose a board though. I've got 3 possibilities.

If you're like me and like a board with little onboard (no sound, vid or LAN for me) pick out the components you want, then hit the forums, looking for possible hardware conflicts with the board of choice. E-Mail the manufacturer with your cmponent list and ask if there are any conflicts.

Hope it helps.