PDA

View Full Version : Don't tell me I have to format.

.Maleficus.
05-07-2007, 07:52 AM
So I downloaded Ceedo (something I don't recommend you do) and tried installing it. Install seemed to go fine, except IT MADE MY HARD DRIVE THE REMOVABLE STORAGE, NOT MY FLASH DRIVE. WTF. I tried to stop running Ceedo, but it told me I had to eject my drive, something I'm NOT going to do while my computer is running. So I restarted my computer. Ceedo is still running, except now, IT'S MISSING LIBRARIES AND CAN'T UNINSTALL, OR EJECT, OR READ/WRITE MY DRIVE. I downloaded the installer again to try to reinstall, except I get the same message I get when trying to read the drive. And guess what. Ceedo didn't add an entry to the "Add or Remove Programs" list. So I can't reinstall from there. And, to make matters worse, formatting really isn't an option. I have like 200 some gigs worth of stuff, on a 250Gb hard drive. I don't have enough free space for all of my stuff, and I really don't want to buy another drive. I have very little money (enough for a drive but I need it for other stuff) and not being able to access my drive is really pissing me off. Any suggestions?

Wasabisam
05-07-2007, 08:05 AM
To get rid of the program can't you just boot into safemode and fix it? Otherwise i dont have an answer and maybe you will lose your stuff and have to format. Or if your HD is sata or whatever you can put it in a different slot and then it might think its a totally different thing. But hey i don't know much about them. Sorry for the lack of help.

Sam

nil8
05-07-2007, 11:50 AM
If you're posting on this forum, you have access to another machine.
Look up UBCD4Win, burn the ISO as a bootable cd.
Hook up an external USB drive to your hosed box, transfer your vital stuff off, then deal with your OS as you need to. Your data is safe, the worst possible outcome would be reinstalling your OS.

If you need help with UBCD4Win, I'm willing to help or mail you a copy of it I have sitting around. It's a great tech troubleshooting tool.

r0adawg
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
do you have win xp?? if so try a restore point...

CanaBalistic
05-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Jeeze guys.

Backup your registry and store it in a non system folder. Use your windows cd to repair the os. Use the registry file to "fix" your programs so you dont have to reinstall them all.

Repairing windows leaves your files intact. It will make all installed programs not work. Your installed program files will still be intact in "program files". Use the registry back up to fix the links to thies programs and allow them to operate properly.

Before you attempt this or anything else thies guys have posted, try running a registry scan. You might get lucky and solve the problem that way.

intergalacticman
05-07-2007, 02:15 PM
cant you just rename the hard drive??

XcOM
05-07-2007, 02:24 PM
UBCD is a good option, or even BARTPE, google it.

this will allow you acess to your drives, there various plugins available for you, worst comes to worst, hook up your drive to a working PC, and copy all data possable, or even create another partition for a NEW OS, install to there.

Or try to obtain Partition magic and use this, it has loads of options to help sold hard drive problems.

3rd option, but a cheap hard drive (40GB or so) install windows to this, and use your 250GB as a secondary HDD.

Redundant
05-07-2007, 06:18 PM
do you have win xp?? if so try a restore point...

To get rid of the program can't you just boot into safemode and fix it?

cant you just rename the hard drive??
No offense, guys, but if it was that simple, I bet he could have figured it out. Anyways, he said he couldn't boot Windows...
(I hope I don't come across as being mean)

.Maleficus.
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Alright, I got rid of everything Ceedo (I think). I booted my Gentoo install, found the entry in the Program Files, and deleted everything in it. Didn't help. I found that right clicking the icon and choosing "Explore" let me go into my C: drive. I found Ceedo put an autorun program in there, so I erased that. My drive turned into the paper with the folded corner icon. I'm reinstalling Ceedo on my flash drive, and I'm going to try to uninstall normally. I hope this works. It's not a big deal that my computer is like this (though I made it out to be in my fit of rage earlier... damn early mornings) it's just really really annoying. If I have to right click and do "Explore" when I need to access my C: drive I'll be a lot happier than having to format/reinstall Windows.

.Maleficus.
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
r0adawg, I can tell I'm going to like you.

Restore Point suggestion - Genius. Restored to yesterday, and I'm all good.

Welcome to the forums buddy. +rep, and locked.