PDA

View Full Version : autoruns help

Spawn-Inc
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM
i have a program called autoruns (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/Autoruns.mspx) and it lets you edit what runs on startup of your computer. does anyone know anyother programs like this but let you edit each profile/user. autoruns looks like you can but when i edit one profile, it changes it for everyone even though it lists different users. the reason i want to changed start up programs is so i can have 1 account set for gaming (i will change it so only the essitanal programs run so it frees up ram) and then have my regular account work normal.

DaveW
05-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Hmm...

Start, Run, mscongfig is what I do. Don't know how it works for multiple accounts.

-Dave

CanaBalistic
05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Use daves method. Thats how i go about it.

Spawn-Inc
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
i messed around with it and it does the same as autoruns. well autoruns does more and can controler more things but they both effect every account. so i will just login, change everything then log back into the account. then when i build/buy a new computer i hopefully won't have this problem.

Airbozo
05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
It has been several years since I used the hardware manager in windows for creating profiles, but I thought there was a way to create different hardware profiles and when the system boots you pick the profile you want.

nil8
05-10-2007, 02:38 PM
He's not asking for hardware profiles. He's asking for different programs to startup under different user accounts. At least that's how it sounds to me.

The way these programs work is doing a basic reghack to the local machine hive instead of the current user hive, so it is a global modification, not one localized to your profile.

If I'm correct, you're needing for a list of programs on your machine to not run under your gaming account, but run under your normal one. Is that correct?

Ironcat
05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure cuz I ain't no windows XPert but I THINK it's...

C
Documents and Settings (for each user or profile)
Start Menu (for each user or profile)

If you want it to run under everyone put it in shared, if you don't want it to run, take it out of your start menu

XcOM
05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
the easist way, it write a batch file:

@echo off
cls
echo Killing all not essencial processes
echo
taskkill program.exe
exit

Replace program.exe with the process you wish to kill, just add another TASKKILL for more processes. Run CMD< and type

taskkill /?

for all the switches you can use. i have a batch file like this, i even have a VB program to do it for me if i want to end speffic programs,

I will send a copy if you like?

Spawn-Inc
05-11-2007, 02:15 PM
He's not asking for hardware profiles. He's asking for different programs to startup under different user accounts. At least that's how it sounds to me.

The way these programs work is doing a basic reghack to the local machine hive instead of the current user hive, so it is a global modification, not one localized to your profile.

If I'm correct, you're needing for a list of programs on your machine to not run under your gaming account, but run under your normal one. Is that correct?

ya thats what i want.

the easist way, it write a batch file:

@echo off
cls
echo Killing all not essencial processes
echo
taskkill program.exe
exit

Replace program.exe with the process you wish to kill, just add another TASKKILL for more processes. Run CMD< and type

taskkill /?

for all the switches you can use. i have a batch file like this, i even have a VB program to do it for me if i want to end speffic programs,

I will send a copy if you like?

i'm not sure i want to get into it that much i will just change it with autoruns as i need to.