PDA

View Full Version : Well, I've ordered 64 bit Vista Ultimate OEM

DaJe
05-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Ordered it earlier today. Shipped out earlier today, should arrive tomorrow, and the shipping was free. Think I made a good choice?

Omega
05-08-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm sorry -- but Vista is not worth the money right now.

=/

DaveW
05-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Well, I got bad news. The 64 bit version of Vista is the one that's supposedly got all the bugs. I don't know this first hand, but my 32 bit version runs fine and looks great. It's a good OS, despite all the negative flak it's getting.

Hope you got the OEM version...

-Dave

xRyokenx
05-08-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't know all that much about Vista, but XP's working good for me... if the version you ordered happens to be the one with all the bugs, if worst comes to worst, you can just wait until SP1 rolls off the "shelves" aka Microsoft's server(s).

DaJe
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Yep, I did get OEM. And it arrived earlier today. You guys are making me a little aprehensive about opening it up >_>

It's still all sealed

xRyokenx
05-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Like I said before, if worst comes to worst, if it doesn't work right, you can always wait for Service Pack 1, which might take a while to be released, but they aren't likely to dump this OS for a new one any time soon, lol. If it were me, I'd most likely open it and install, but that's just what I'd do...

XcOM
05-08-2007, 01:14 PM
i have got 64bit on my dvd, i tried it out, it does have meny flaws, driver support is crap, and applications don't like it,

I am currently running Vista ultimate 32bit and it runs fine, all this negative talk about vista is bumph, i think its cool, i rather like it.

DaveW
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for agreeing XcOM; go for it dude, you'll like it.

I'm on a Vista laptop at the moment, and i'm not complaining. I only have good things to say about it, actually. (Appart from the annoying babysitting messages...)

-Dave

XcOM
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
to turn off them babysitting messages:
start-->accessories-->rightclick run-->Run as admin-->

msconfig
last tab-->Tools
Click "Disable UAC" then click "Launch"

restart and they are nolonger there, also everything runs with admin rights now.

DaveW
05-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I've turned off mine, but apparently this leaves a huge security flaw in the system.

Which just seems stupid to me. You have a choice between a gaping security hole and the system annoying the hell out of you...

-Dave

XcOM
05-08-2007, 02:11 PM
if you have firewall and antivirus you don't need it,
Plus Tech guru i beleave tested it, the annoyiances dosen't check the file, it checks the name, and if its in the registry, if you have setup for say firefox, it will compain and ask permission, rename it to say "Francis work.exe" it won't ask, so its not that good anyway.

Plus you wern't worring about XP were you? considering that XP didn't have this tool, so why worrie about turning it off, you lived without it in XP/2K/9x

TheGreatSatan
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Microsucks will support XP till 2014 and that's when I'll switch to Vista :D

XcOM
05-08-2007, 02:20 PM
microsoft have said there going to stop supporting it next year appernently! OEM providers are being forced into only offering vista soon, only a few Co.s have gone back on there deal with M$, the biggist being Dell.

DaJe
05-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I guess I'll still install it anyway. Perhaps I should've gotten 32bit instead. 64 bit is what I wanted though.

XcOM
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
enjoy it eitherway

DaJe
05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Whta kind of problems might I expect to run into?

XcOM
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
driver issues are your biggest due to the way the kernal interfaces with the rest of the system, the others will be antivirus, there isn't meny 64bit vista AV out there, same for firewall, and you shouldn't use 32bit AV on 64bit.

Other software may not run correctly. other than that you shouldn't run into anything.

DaJe
05-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I think itll be fine for me then.

si-skyline
05-08-2007, 08:04 PM
HEHE well thats microsoft for you :P

when using vista the UAC meesages will send you to the nut house, not too bad for general running but for config, file moving and just around every thing else your not going to like it.

like come on do i really need to be told that im cutting a file from one place to another?

and oo while on the suject of nagging things. theres no admin account :D soo.. when every you do a "admin" thing.. like install a program you have to insert the admin password to gain a "admin" token and this happens for every single "admin" thing you do :D

but over all it is a good operating system and im sure you will like it after blocking out those annoying things

si-skyline

Indybird
05-09-2007, 12:21 AM
After I've got all the security turned off and the settings just right I've decided that Vista is a billion, no make that a trillion times better then XP. O.K, so maybe that was a slight exaggeration but here my point of view:
If you know computers, software and hardware really well (as most of us do) then working out the bugs of Vista should be no problem.
If you don't really know computers, software or hardware then (unless it is a vista-designed computer) Vista could be a problem.

All the security notifications will go away if you turn them off.

I've been using Vista since the release date and the only complaint so far is that the eSATA port doesnt work so well.

I say go for it :up:

-Indybird

DaJe
05-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Dammit, I just remembered I could've bought it from tybrenis for $112 instead of $200

what the ****

Durrthock
05-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Can you use OEM on a computer that already has xp?

DaJe
05-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Yes. No problems at all with doing that.

Indybird
05-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Can you use OEM on a computer that already has xp?

You have to do a clean installation though.

DaJe
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
You have to do a clean installation though.
I didn't have to.

XcOM
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
depends, normally it will allow you to upgrade from a full install disc, but not visa versa