PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Vista 32 bit and 64 bit?

rendermandan
05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
The title says it all. I'm possibly considering upgrading to vista, but I want to make sure I get the right one. I have already heard about the 64 bit problems, but setting the problemns and drive issues aside. What is the main difference between the 2. Is there an advantage over another? Will I need special 64 bit versions of software to run? etc. Thanks!

gaz_the_chav
05-08-2007, 06:21 PM
I believe that Vista 32 bit is for 32 bit processors and will only work with 32 bit processors whereas the 64bit edition is for 64 bit processors and will only work with 64 bit processors.

Correct me if im wrong

-gaz

SgtM
05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I believe that Vista 32 bit is for 32 bit processors and will only work with 32 bit processors whereas the 64bit edition is for 64 bit processors and will only work with 64 bit processors.

Correct me if im wrong

-gaz

Survey says.. ding ding ding!

gaz_the_chav
05-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Survey says.. ding ding ding!

Woot!!!

-gaz

CanaBalistic
05-08-2007, 07:26 PM
But 64bit processors also compute in 32bit dont they?

Core2Duo's are 64bit and i've heard of people installing 32bit os's on C2D systems..

How does that factor into the equasion?

DaveW
05-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I think it depends on the motherboard actually. I don't think there's any motherboards that are 64 bit only.

You can run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit processor. Obviously, not vice-versa.

-Dave

si-skyline
05-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Well the main differnace is one of them is for 32 bit cpu and the other is for 64 bit cpu. now say if you have a 64 bit cpu you can get either 64 bit or 32 bit vista, but not the other way round because of the way the memory is handled..

32bit cpu can handle 4 gb of ram
on the other hand 64bit cpu can handle 16gb of ram

the ram is the mojor increase and also, if you have a 64 bit cpu it would better in the sence to get a 64bit operating system as this would be the native. as they both would of been build around each other, and then older support gets added in.

i am not the most experianced person about the two but thats what i have learned so far, some one else could back me up. but i do stand firm that it is all correct :)

IMO: get a 64bit copy of vista for a 64 bit cpu, it will prepare you for the future and give you a preformace boost (not sue how much) as things like to run nativly... downside as you know is the driver issuses. but this is just a minor thing that most if not all vista users are going thu. and because 64 bit and the is going more mainstream it means better support for this kind of stuff !!:D

si-skyline

rendermandan
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for your repsonses. I have a core2Duo E6600. So I would be ok to get the 64 bit version? What about my motherboard, is it 64bit? Its a Asus P5n32-sli SE Deluxe.

si-skyline
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
yeah that does support 64-bit arch. so yeah no problem with getting a 64-bit operating system :D

bah 64-bit motherboard support.. if the motherboard supports the chip and the chip is a 64 bit processer then the motherboard has to or that would be silly :P

I think it depends on the motherboard actually. I don't think there's any motherboards that are 64 bit only.

hehe of course not... the motherboards will all ways support 32 bit cpus because it will become legacy in a few years when 64 bit becomes the norm. most hardware is backwards compatible.

hope that cleared your questions and wonders :) good luck on the 64 bit and vista bandwagon :)

rendermandan
05-09-2007, 03:11 PM
thanks, like I said, I'm just considering it. I will probably wait untill the 1st service pack comes out. I just wanted to do a little research first.

si-skyline
05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
lol, cool.. have you seen vista? or had a friend install it?

i own the 32 bit ultimate ed. i cant be fussed with 64 bit upgrades atm. but i cant understand all the flapping about.

like with the system i installed it on it all installed fine the only problem was that my sound card was supported out of the box but not a full use or something, a 2 second look on realtek and got the right sound drivers.. like now alot of devices are now supported under vista, its like a must for companys to follow the triend

but also the other day i read that the 64 bit one is the buggest out of the vista family. something you might have to look up... not sure if alot of it has been taken care of or what :/ and im sure it was on this forum i read it

but over all its great :D

simon275
05-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Basically 64bit allows for a larger instruction set with the 64 registers of the processor being used. While this does allow for more memory up to 16 exbibytes from 4 gb. The instruction set was written to accommodate only 1 terabyte. Then the OS and most motherboards can only take 16gb of RAM. conversely a 64bit OS will use more memory as there are more pointers for each bit of data.

You won't actually see many advantages at all by using 64bit OS. As most programs are written for a 32bit address space. Only some commercial programs such as graphics and video compling/rendering have been written to take advantage of the increased address space.

And yes 32 bit apps are backward compatible

Another disadvantage is there are not as many drivers available for hardware as they have to be written for the instruction set.

So unless you are a video/graphics wiz or like messing around under the hood stick with 32bit.

If you really want to see a difference in power between 64 and 32 bit try installing the 32 and 64bit versions of Ubuntu or another Linux OS and you can see a big difference in processing power. Also a lot of programs as source for linux can be recomplied in the 64bit environment

rendermandan
05-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Only some commercial programs such as graphics and video compling/rendering have been written to take advantage of the increased address space.

Actually that is exactly what I do. I work with 3d laser scanners and point coulds of buildings that contain more than 4 billion points to 3d model buildings, and piping power plants etc. The database files are around 60-70 gb. So yeah, processing power, video card power and memory are big concerns for me. Right now I work on a dual zeon, dual core machine, with 2 gb ram and a Nvidia Quadro 5600FX video card. But we are still using XP pro.

simon275
05-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Actually that is exactly what I do. I work with 3d laser scanners and point coulds of buildings that contain more than 4 billion points to 3d model buildings, and piping power plants etc. The database files are around 60-70 gb. So yeah, processing power, video card power and memory are big concerns for me. Right now I work on a dual zeon, dual core machine, with 2 gb ram and a Nvidia Quadro 5600FX video card. But we are still using XP pro.

So if your software supports it and you have/can get the 64bit versions of your hardware drivers then upgrading to a 64bit would be a good move. You might need some more RAM though. But more RAM is always good so play it by ear.