PDA

View Full Version : switch for button?

weirdguy
07-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Hey, I found a really sweet LED switch (I'll try to get pics later). It has 3 connectors on the bottom and an LED. My current case has a button that you press in and the it stays in. I looked and there's only 2 wires going to it.

Fisrt, can I use a switch where a button of that type goes (I think it's called a toggle button???)?

Second, can I make it light up? My case has a on LED anyways. there are two wires going to that.

I want to know how to do this?
link (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F001&product%5Fid=275%2D706)

suckerr70
07-04-2005, 04:33 AM
I'm new to this modding stuff and I'm not sure if it'll work but I think you would hook it up by having one wire on the "on" side and one on the middle out of the three prongs. Try messing around with a battery and an LED or something to test the switch out.

jonopaul01
07-04-2005, 06:11 AM
DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH A BATTERY etc. If you take for instance 9V battery it will burn out any LED. A 1.5V battery should be fine though. Didn't your switch come with instructions/instructions on the makers website? Some more info/pictures would really help though. But don't just mess around unless you know what you are doing (in which case you are not messing around) otherwise something could break and someone will be unhappy.

All the following is my opinion and should not be taken as the right thing to do

From what I can see in the link you sent there are 3 pins. One for ground and 2 for the switch. If this is a power switch then the two other pins should be connected to the power pins on your MoBo and the ground switch put on a metal part of your case.

01TAFlyer
07-04-2005, 09:25 AM
It looks like in that picture one of the connectors is labeled ground and the others have labels but I can't read them, what do they say? And do testing with a multimeter.

weirdguy
07-04-2005, 01:17 PM
It looks like in that picture one of the connectors is labeled ground and the others have labels but I can't read them, what do they say? And do testing with a multimeter. ground, acc, power

suckerr70
07-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean any ol' battery and led. What I meant was use a light of some sort and a battery of the right voltage and find out which pins on the switch work. If the switch is on and you connected the wires right then it would light up. (like just making a circuit and connecting it with the switch) But maybe it isnt a good idea. It has nothing to do with a computer, just which pins to use. Sorry.