PDA

View Full Version : Project Woody

ph33r
07-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Starting my first major case mod today, building a case from 3mm plywood. The plan is to use some components from my old case like mb rack and hdd/cd rack but the rest in plywood and a spruce frame. I'll be modeling it around the coolmaster type case with the curved hinged front cover. Curving the plywood will be interesting but it'll look great, especially when it gets laquered. Any thoughts? I'll post some pics of my progress later today.

Gigabite
07-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Sounds pretty cool man. I cant wait to see pics. A nice finished wood case would look really cool for a computer in a living room or an office. 8)

crazybillybob
07-28-2005, 01:25 PM
You can cut "relief’s" into the back of the ply in the area's that you want to bend. A releif is just a straight cut from the top of the board to the bottom of the board (assuming it's a vertical bend) about 1/2 -3/4 of way trough the ply (this depends on how tight the bend needs to be) then you make another cut parallel to the first (the amount of space between cuts also depends on how tight the bend is). The down side to this is you nee some ribs glued in there to help the ply keep it's shape, also once it's shaped you can fill the groves with epoxy type glue to strengthen it and also help hold the shape.

You could also steam bend the ply but you would need to make a steamer that would fit the piece of wood you wanted to bend. You'd need to do some research on the net for that, I understand how it's done and have an Idea how to try at home but have never done it (so I don't know if it's safe or feasible).

Good luck,
Crazybillybob

KillaHead
08-01-2005, 10:39 PM
If you use thin 1/4 in plywood you can just soak the wood in water until soft bend to shape clamp it then let it dry it should work out pretty well. best thing to do is get some scrap plywood and try different things to get an idea of what works best