PDA

View Full Version : modding an nes and I want some advice please

dragnmastr85
07-05-2005, 10:54 AM
I have the nes completely outside of its casing. I want a good case to put it in that will fit all of it and allow for top loading of the nes. meaning it will stand up straight. I want to have a window on the front so you can see the game. I then want to put leds on the nes either through the nes power or through a small psu in the case. any ideas? it doesnt have to be a cpu case. if you can think of something else that would be cool to put it in let me know. any and all input would be greatly appreciated! THANKS

temmink
07-05-2005, 12:37 PM
So you want to put a NES in a computer case not a computer in a NES case, your weird, and I think you have things backward. Why are you modding your NES? It's a retro symbol, I just don't understand at all. I mean modding an xbox is fair enough cause they are ugly and will never be a classic, but a NES is really cool. Now if you had a non working NES and wanted to put a sff pc inside I could understand, cause that would be hot, but your idea is just plain wack. Can I also point out that it feels fundamentally wrong to hack up a working peice of gaming history, working NES' are hard enough to find now, don't ruin yours.

So there.

crenn
07-05-2005, 09:12 PM
temmink, that's like asking why do people eat more apples than oranges....

It doesn't matter why he wants to do it, it's his choice,anyway, he could be modding the Case to be a computer. And then shove a NES in a computer case and modding that case so it is much more cooler then the plain old white case(it is white........ isn't it?)

dragnmastr85
07-06-2005, 10:55 AM
You hit the nail on the head crenn. I will be putting a computer into the nes case after Im done with this project. And I want to rebuild the nes to be more functional than before. I will be INCLUDING the multitap in its interface. I am also eliminating the need to push the tray down. I want it to be a souped up nes. Also this one was NOT working until I opened it up and repaired a few things. It would be in the garbage if it werent for me so I want to give it new life. This weekend I will draw up some dimensions so maybe you guys could help me find something good to put it in. I was thinking the right shuttle case might be good but Im not sure yet. Thanks for your help so far and I look forward to hearing back from you all.

crenn
07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Are you going to be putting a Mini-ITX mobo in the NES case? As for repairing the NES, you must find a way of finding the problem of the circuit boards. If it's a chip on one of the boards, you might look up other broken boards on eBay and buy them and do 'hot swapping', but if you do do this then make sure you're handy with a soldering iron. As for noot having to push the tray down, what do you mean by this. I think you could use servos to do this.

dragnmastr85
07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
I have already repaired it. I dont need to replace anything else. The tray pops up and down to connect to the pins on the 70 pin connector. Yes I will eventually put an itx in there and probably use it for emulation and music.

crenn
07-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Or a HTPC. Ok well that makes things much easier... So do you have pictures of this?

dragnmastr85
07-07-2005, 07:01 PM
I wont be able to get pics till sometime next week but hopefully saturday Im gonna draw up a diagram with some dimensions and you guys can help me find a proper casing for it. If I can find a replacement for the 70 pin connector would it be possible to place it anywhere else. Im drawing a blank on how to do this :)

crenn
07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
When when you get the pics, then It will be much easier to help you as I don't even know what a NES looks like.

dragnmastr85
07-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Alright I found a pic online and gave it dimensions. Keep in mind the power buttons will be seperate and the controller ports as well. Also the 2 controller ports will be connected to the player multitap within the casing and then I want complete control over the multitap built into the casing. I will be able to get better pics next week. Oh yeah its prob about 3 inches high. I also might be interested in removing the 70 pin connector and wiring it to another location if anyone knows how and if its possible I might be interested in that.
http://users.rcn.com/pegasuslady/mine.JPG
sorry for stretching the page

Kano
07-09-2005, 05:00 PM
So you want to put a NES in a computer case not a computer in a NES case, your weird, and I think you have things backward. Why are you modding your NES? It's a retro symbol, I just don't understand at all. I mean modding an xbox is fair enough cause they are ugly and will never be a classic, but a NES is really cool. Now if you had a non working NES and wanted to put a sff pc inside I could understand, cause that would be hot, but your idea is just plain wack. Can I also point out that it feels fundamentally wrong to hack up a working peice of gaming history, working NES' are hard enough to find now, don't ruin yours.

So there.

I agree... NES is... Well, its not even 16-bit. Modding generally means you put a decent computer inside of some crazy thing. I don't see the point of putting something thats 20 years old in a nice box.

dragnmastr85
07-09-2005, 11:57 PM
I want to create a souped up better version of the nes. Its already torn apart beyond putting it back to its original state so your not talking me out of it. If you want to help I will greatly appreciate it. Otherwise please dont badger my ideas.

dragnmastr85
07-12-2005, 05:43 AM
bump

d_stilgar
11-29-2005, 03:01 AM
I know this is a very old topic, but dragon, if you are still still working on this you should visit oldschoolsystems.com. It is a site dedicated to Nintendo modding. The forum isn't horribly busy, but it is active. I've done the NES PC thing before and am probly one of the most knowledgable about it, so you can ask me any questions you want.